Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for "fixie" riders, hipsters, fakengers, whatever

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's an idea though, night run through the park??

I was on a night spin in the park last winter with a few others here and it wasn't great to be honest. Even with good lights, I found it way too dark, given the tree cover. There are much better locations for evening spins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Well I'll stick with my City Centre to Killiney or the 40ft or something. Quick drinl/pint whatever and back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Harry - me, Stein, and gamsgam from the fgss board are meeting up at 7pm at the front gate of TCD for a spin tonight, if you're game.
    http://www.dublinfgss.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Up the Wicklow mountains is your only man for night spins.

flickerx wrote: »
    Harry - me, Stein, and gamsgam from the fgss board are meeting up at 7pm at the front gate of TCD for a spin tonight, if you're game.
    http://www.dublinfgss.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60

I would except I can only do stuff on Sundays and Mondays. When I do this kind of thing you all have to promise to wait for me, I'm old, slow and fat, have pity :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Must come out with you some evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »

Bike polo, or on a fixie?

Nah, fixie spin. I don't think I'd be any cop at bike polo. High centre of gravity and all that.

Why not come out tonight then? There's only going to be a couple of weeks more before the clock goes back, or forward, or whatever. And your pista concept (right?) would have us all drooling with envy.

• Advertisement

Why not come out tonight then? There's only going to be a couple of weeks more before the clock goes back, or forward, or whatever. And your pista concept (right?) would have us all drooling with envy.

I would, except I'm between houses at the moment and I've already moved the track bike to the new one. Will come out another day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would, except I'm between houses at the moment and I've already moved the track bike to the new one.

You've been spending too much time with DirkVoodoo.

Is the Pista in Images of Beauty anywhere?

Lumen wrote: »
    You've been spending too much time with DirkVoodoo.

Is the Pista in Images of Beauty anywhere?

Yeah, I just realised that was a Voodoo like excuse when I hit 'post'. It's infectious.

Here you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Where is that empty house with the nice bike.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Where is that empty house with the nice bike.

LOL, emty probably has a headstart on you though. He lives around the corner.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Oh, get over it. Hipster is simply the most useful and accurate word to use. If I want a word that means person-who-probably-wears-skinny-jeans-and-rides-a-fixie hipster is the term.

I'm more of a lurker than a poster on this board, but this just annoyed me. I wear skinny jeans, I have worn skinny jeans years before I ever got a fixie. Does it make me a "hipster" if I wear skinny jeans and ride my bike?

I'd like to be able to cycle my bike without people passing remarks like this against me. Should it matter what I wear when I cycle my bike? Fvcking hate these stereotypes, I dont ride a fixed to be "cool", I just prefer them to other types of bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'm more of a lurker than a poster on this board, but this just annoyed me. I wear skinny jeans, I have worn skinny jeans years before I ever got a fixie. Does it make me a "hipster" if I wear skinny jeans and ride my bike?

I'd like to be able to cycle my bike without people passing remarks like this against me. Should it matter what I wear when I cycle my bike? Fvcking hate these stereotypes, I dont ride a fixed to be "cool", I just prefer them to other types of bikes.

Holy God, calm down there!

I wear Ralph Lauren chinos, I have worn chinos years before I ever got a Porsche. Does it make me a "yuppie" if I wear chinos and drive my Porsche?

I'd like to be able to drive my car without people passing remarks like this against me. Should it matter what I wear when I drive my car? Fvcking hate these stereotypes, I dont drive a Porsche to be "cool", I just prefer them to other types of cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

In fairness, you clearly are a hipster... but there's nothing wrong with that. You are who you are. HIPSTER PRIDE !!! WOOO YEAH!!!

Welcome aboard hipster

groteskwannabemessengerartwork2.jpg

Ah ignore me, I'm just jealous cos I can't fit into skinny jeans

• Advertisement

Welcome aboard hipster

groteskwannabemessengerartwork2.jpg

Hahaha thats brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

This has given me an idea.

Halloween night....good fast group fancy dress ride around the city.

No social cliches

It doesn't matter if you're fixed or using gears

Just be scary, fast and road legal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

chakattack wrote: »
    This has given me an idea.

Halloween night....good fast group fancy dress ride around the city.

No social cliches

It doesn't matter if you're fixed or using gears

Just be scary, fast and road legal....

I have just the costume for this. In fact, at least two others have the same...

Raam wrote: »
    I have just the costume for this. In fact, at least two others have the same...

Skinny jeans and a big bunch of keys on a chain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Skinny jeans and a big bunch of keys on a chain?

Should my CK boxers be visible whilst on the bike?

I would except I can only do stuff on Sundays and Mondays. When I do this kind of thing you all have to promise to wait for me, I'm old, slow and fat, have pity :pac:

Harry there's going to be another ride this Sunday.
    Check the dublinfgss board.

Harry there's going to be another ride this Sunday.
    Check the dublinfgss board.

Cool, I'll try and make it in for that. I don't know what any of you guys look like or your bikes, so I'll be the guy with the big head on an SS Mashup, shorts and probably some death metal shirt?? Oh yeah and fat, so go slow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You shouls have been here
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/singlespeed-world-championships-cm
    obligatory tat for the winner as well :eek:

eddieclark_sswc09_4226_1_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15 phatyack

only came across this now

since the first post (almost 3 years ago now) hardcourt bike polo has become pretty popular. we play 3 times a week in eamon ceannt park (beside the velodrome)

saturdays at 1pm and tuesdays at 6pm. we recently started a beginners session on sundays at 1pm which has been rather successful.

most people are put off because they think their bike isn't suitable for polo but all bikes are welcome. at the moment most of our beginners are on brakeless trick/track bikes, crappy mountain bikes and even a few racers. they aren't the best things to play on but if you can make it to the courts on your bike, then your bike is good enough to start playing polo on. give it a go for a few weeks and if you like the sport, start thinking of small changes to make to your bike or even start building a new bike for polo. if you come to a beginners session the game is very slow paced and friendly. we will have mallets and balls for you to practice handling/passing/shooting before you play a game.

you can find out when the next beginners session is here: http://dublinfgss.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=732

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 phatyack

only came across this now

since the first post (almost 2 years ago now) hardcourt bike polo has become pretty popular. we play 3 times a week in eamon ceannt park (beside the velodrome)

saturdays at 1pm and tuesdays at 6pm. we recently started a beginners session on sundays at 1pm which has been rather successful.

most people are put off because they think their bike isn't suitable for polo but all bikes are welcome. at the moment most of our beginners are on brakeless trick/track bikes, crappy mountain bikes and even a few racers. they aren't the best things to play on but if you can make it to the courts on your bike, then your bike is good enough to start playing polo on. give it a go for a few weeks and if you like the sport, start thinking of small changes to make to your bike or even start building a new bike for polo. if you come to a beginners session the game is very slow paced and friendly. we will have mallets and balls for you to practice handling/passing/shooting before you play a game.

you can find out when the next beginners session is here: http://dublinfgss.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=732

Advertisement