Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-introduction to the international fold for Stephen Carr???

• 22-09-2009 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

I have been thinking about the forthcoming Italy, Montenegro and probable playoff matches coming in the next few weeks and have been going through our team. Trap seems to be content with his usual selection but the question of centre-mid pairings and full-backs still arise. Centre-mid seems to be well publicesed but at full back we need changing also. Kevin Kilbane is not good enough, something ive been saying for years and most response I get is "sure he gives it 110%"-I'D GIVE 110% if i had the chnace but the bottom line is I'm not good enough!!! nor is Kilbane and if it weren't for 2 notable mess-ups we could be 4 points better off. I realise, however, we aren't blessed with talent in this department at this moment but there is a player i feel coulod do a job, he had a dodgy spell there when he last appeared for us but since his move to Birmingham he has rejuvenated his career, this player is Stephen Carr. What would be the general thoughts on Carr going RB and O'Shea slotting in at LB? These guys are playing regularly as opposed to Kilbane who has seen 3 games so far in a side 2nd from bottom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

maybe in the future, but i wouldnt be bringing him in for this game, upsetting the whole back line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Danye

I have been thinking about the forthcoming Italy, Montenegro and probable playoff matches coming in the next few weeks and have been going through our team. Trap seems to be content with his usual selection but the question of centre-mid pairings and full-backs still arise. Centre-mid seems to be well publicesed but at full back we need changing also. Kevin Kilbane is not good enough, something ive been saying for years and most response I get is "sure he gives it 110%"-I'D GIVE 110% if i had the chnace but the bottom line is I'm not good enough!!! nor is Kilbane and if it weren't for 2 notable mess-ups we could be 4 points better off. I realise, however, we aren't blessed with talent in this department at this moment but there is a player i feel coulod do a job, he had a dodgy spell there when he last appeared for us but since his move to Birmingham he has rejuvenated his career, this player is Stephen Carr. What would be the general thoughts on Carr going RB and O'Shea slotting in at LB? These guys are playing regularly as opposed to Kilbane who has seen 3 games so far in a side 2nd from bottom.

Yea, I think if somebody is playing regularly for a top flight team they should certainly be even in the squad if not the starting 11. The experience alone that Carr could be bring would surely help the younger lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Stephen Ward or Conor Powell for left back. Powell needs to bulk up a bit but Id be surprised if Wardy didnt get called up now that hes doing it at the highest level on the mainland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bohsman wrote: »
    Conor Powell for left back
    I dont think he's as good as people make him out to be. Was given a horrid time in the home leg against Can of Red Bull FC

Apparently the RB game is where Alan Kelly picked him out for Trapatoni to have a look at, he's come on massively this season, particularly going forward but I agree that hes not ready yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

An LoI player in the Ireland squad, for a full international match?

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I like Kilbane's attitude and he seems a decent bloke. I'd say the opposite about Carr. But I'd much sooner see Carr in the team for Montenegro and Italy (with O'Shea switching to LB).

Ward unfortunately is injured at the moment. So he's no chance of breaking in for those games, even if he regains fitness in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Love to see him back in the international fold but I don't see it happening. Trap has overlooked Carsley's return to form too and I guess he has decided that he won't bring in an ageing player to replace one of his current squad. Though how much of an age diff is there between Kilbane and Carr?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Stephen Ward or Conor Powell for left back. Powell needs to bulk up a bit but Id be surprised if Wardy didnt get called up now that hes doing it at the highest level on the mainland.

This is the funniest thing ive read all day, CONOR POWELL??? are you one of these people who really thinks that league of ireland players should and could get into the current international team, no chance mate, the league is shocking and if conor powell is good enough well then he should be playing across the water now

It was slightly tounge in cheek. Its Trapatoni that thinks he is international standard not me. As for if I think Irish based players should play for the Int team, if theyre good enough itd be stupid not to pick them. You'll have a great laugh reading this article.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/bohs-ace-powell-in-frame-to-fill-troublesome-leftback-berth-1882342.html

BOHEMIANS defender Conor Powell is in Giovanni Trapattoni's thoughts after the Italian admitted that the Dubliner is in the long-term frame for the problematic left-back position.

Trapattoni made his first appearance at a League of Ireland game last month when he watched the league champions stroll to a 5-0 win over Galway United at Dalymount Park. He says he identified two players in that match who he reckons are good enough for future international recognition. Although he refused to name either of them, it's understood the pair are Powell and centre-half Ken Oman.

It was Trapattoni who brought the matter up in his discussions about Ireland's left-back dilemma with the ageing Kevin Kilbane in situ and Eddie Nolan the first-choice alternative .

Ex-Belvedere youth Powell (22) has been in fine form for Bohs this season and impressed Irish goalkeeping coach Alan Kelly when he came to watch Brian Murphy in the Champions League meeting with Red Bull Salzburg.

The Portmarnock lad has been on the radar of several cross-channel clubs, with Wolves among the admirers. Former Gypsies star Stephen Ward -- now at Molineux -- also got a mention from Trap.

"If we go to South Africa, we need two squads, two teams," he says. "We have Kilbane at left-back and it's important. Now we have Nolan, we see that he is improving and I think that he can do better. There are other players, we have Ward also and I saw Bohemians. I say to Marco (Tardelli) at that game, they have two players who could be good enough to come with us."

Oman (27) has spent his entire career in the League of Ireland and primarily with Bohs, although he enjoyed a successful stint with Derry City. The Dublin native was out of the double-winning side for periods of last year, but has enjoyed a resurgence in his fortunes in this campaign.

- Daniel McDonnell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Stacksey wrote: »
    This is the funniest thing ive read all day, CONOR POWELL??? are you one of these people who really thinks that league of ireland players should and could get into the current international team, no chance mate, the league is shocking and if conor powell is good enough well then he should be playing across the water now

KEVIN DOYLE??? NOEL HUNT??? KEITH FAHEY??? STEPHEN WARD??? :)

I'm not saying Powell is able to make the step up, but he's young yet and shouldn't be discounted completely out of hand.

The above players all were under the radar and didn't suddenly learn how to play football when they stepped off the plane onto English/Scottish soil.

Roy Keane obviously wasnt good enough for Ireland either, he should have signed for United before he started playing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Love to see him back in the international fold but I don't see it happening. Trap has overlooked Carsley's return to form too and I guess he has decided that he won't bring in an ageing player to replace one of his current squad. Though how much of an age diff is there between Kilbane and Carr?

sorry to hijack a thread, but i dont see how lee carsley has returned to form

he played 74 minutes in the first PL game, none in the next two, 72 in the next, then was brought on at half time against villa and then taken off with 5 to go.
    he's also 35, will be 36 in february

i do think trap is stubborn in having some other players in our squad and some others out of it, but i agree with the carsley omission

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

stovelid wrote: »
    KEVIN DOYLE??? NOEL HUNT??? KEITH FAHEY??? STEPHEN WARD??? :)

I'm not saying Powell is able to make the step up, but he's young yet and shouldn't be discounted completely out of hand.

The above players all were under the radar and didn't suddenly learn how to play football when they stepped off the plane onto English/Scottish soil.

doyle,hunt,fahey and ward are all playing in england, powell is not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

And at least two of them arent up to the standard either,:rolleyes: back to the op hopefully now that Darren O'Dea is getting regular football it will be a good option and while he is primarily a centre half he has also played FB for Celtic.

And at least two of them arent up to the standard either,

Doyle and Hunt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

So the very act of boarding a cross-channel flight suddently imbues them with the ability to play for their country?

Not that I'm saying there ae loads of players up to the standard (there obviously isn't) but why not do your job and keep your eye on every outlet (including the league here), instead of having to take a plane ticket as evidence that somebody can do a job?

We'd have a great league if all the English scouts took that attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Doyle and Hunt?

Was thinking Hunt and Ward myself, a fully fit Doyle is definitely up to the standard required.

Have to say I havent seen Ward play LB but hes strong, good going forward and has made the spot his own at Wolves, Id be shocked if he wasnt given a chance soon. Still think Fahey is too attacking for Trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Carr seems to be doing well, and would be a good option for rb.
    But does the player himself have any interest in coming back?? Didn't he retire from international football at 29 and then came back for a bit a while later, before retiring completely at end of last year from all football.

Luckily Birmingham gave him a trial, then short term contract and now he is doing a good job in premier league. I'd love to see him back, but doubt he'd be interested.

We need either him or preferably a fit Finnan for the play off games in November. Cannot go into those with Kilbane at LB. It would spell disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd rather have Stephen Kelly at RB than Carr.

I still can't understand why he moved to Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I'd actually rate Kelly ahead of Carr but he isn't playing regularly and unfortunatly that knocks his chances particularly as Carr is playing and on decent form too.

As for him being interested, I can't imagine why he wouldn't. He missed 2002 through injury and this would be his last chance to play on a big stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Carr has completely lost his pace. He fell over the ball the other week, and it lead to a goal.

Advertisement