Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan Kitchen/flooring suppliers/fitters

Options
  • 22-09-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hopefully we'll be needing these soon as buying a new house, but how does a blow-in find the right companys to supply and fit a new kitchen, and we will need wooden floors and tiling suppliers/fitters also.

Any recommendations for either/both would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

well it depends where your from but from around where I am there is
    Francis Mc Cahey Kitchens and Anthony O Brien. I've seen both their work and they are fabulous.

As for suppliers of wooden floors try Cavan Town - Mc Intyres, Monaghan, Brennans in Clontibret, Navan (beechmount home park).... There is loads out there.

Tiling - again try all the retail parks in Drogheda, Navan, Cavan, Monaghan...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Thanks for that dlambirl, because we are not from the area we dont know where to start, and its great to get some inside info on the quality of suppliers, esp kitchens.
    Must have a look out for the 2 you mentioned. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

can you say which town you will be moving to - then a few more names could spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well, It may be easier to tell you whom not to go to.... I spent 3 years on a self build and I went to almost every kitchen/tiles and furniture place in Cavan.

MacAdams Kitchens have a great designer but are shocking at after sales and service and the attitiude of there fitters leaves a lot to de disired.

Kitchen World, cheap and cheerful but the designers are little more than button pushers not real design in what they do. Got a quote for 13k in Nov and then got another quote 14k in there Sale of the Century offer in the January. so make of that what you will.

House of Kitchens in Virgina are good, very expensive.

As for floors etc,

McIntyres are one of the most over priced shops in Cavan. I wanted same carpets/wooden floors for my house(3300 euro in total) and I found them over 800euro cheaper in Carrols of Oldcastle and that was there best cash price. Also got a couch for 750 and they where 1300 for there best cash price.

Carrols Carpets in Oldcastle are fab, very good prices and Paddy is great to deal with. He got my business.

A for tiles,

Ernes tiles are hard to beat for there prices again they where far far cheaper for the exact same tile to other tiles shops in Cavan. There grout and adhesive is much cheaper again. Fair enough they don't do your cheap 4.99 tile like Right Price Tiles, but there still good with there over all price and they deliver for free.

Mcgywers Bathrooms, beside Paco clothes. Massivly over priced compared to other palces for the exact same shop, but there do have great people working there who have a great knowledge of how to design a bathroom.

Over all you have to shop around but for me Ernes for Tiles and Carrols in Oldcastle won my money. I got my Kitchen in McAdams but i'm not very happy with the over all sales end and aftercare, I'm still waiting for a phonecall over 6 months after getting the kitchen installed. Everything that could go wrong went wrong.

If you want a good tilers number PM me and lets know where your house is. I can send you on my tilers number.

Thats my 2 cents.

I'm just looking for floors at the minute and got a great price of Brennans in Clontibret but i must go now to Oldcastle to see what they have, thanks!!

• Advertisement

Hi again, thats a great start for us unclebil98!
    As I said before I wouldnt know where to start, and as for trying to find places.........
    Anyway we will have a look at the few you mentioned.
    Def great to hear of other peoples personal experiences! Thanks.

The house is between Shercock and Bailieborough mrgaa1.

The selection of floors in Carrols in Oldcastle is not extensive, but he can source almost any make I mentioned to him. The chap that fitted my wooden floors was in and out in no time and did a fab job. He worked as a fitter for Carrols.

One thing i did like was after years buying carpets they did not charge more for those stupid strips between rooms, unlike other shops I mentioned.

Where abouts in Oldcastle is Carrolls??

There in the main square bit. There is another one on the Virginia Road but Carrols are in the main square or triangle as I've been told!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

for kitchens - mooneys kitchens (google it), erne tiles for sure hard to beat - if you are looking for a GOOD plumber PM me and I'll send you his details.
    For bathroom stuff - sorry but the best place to go to is Killeen Hardware, Armagh. They just can not be beaten for price anywhere - and I've tried so many places in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mick Bloggs

The only place worth talking about is:- Fitzsimons in Trim. Unbeatable price & quality "all made in house" - no Chinese flat packs like all the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭niall_walsh

Best kitchen supplier in cavan in Tullyvin wood products cootehill. First class design. Workmanship second to none and aftersales service excellent. think they have a website.

I would have no hesitation in recommending. My kitchen was completed a few months ago and i couldn't be happier. Some horror stories out there.

Got a quote from Tullyvin, they where very nice to deal with but just could not do the design i wanted. So as far as initial contact they where very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

excellent tiler Sean Rennicks 087 6644780
    He can recommend where to get your tiles also and what you should be paying for them

There in the main square bit. There is another one on the Virginia Road but Carrols are in the main square or triangle as I've been told!

I had a day off yesterday (first in a long time) and went over to Oldcastle...

It was closed :eek:

:mad::mad:

DOH!!!!

Yeah, you'll find that most places in Cavan close on Mondays. Darn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

<snip>

EDIT: No reason supplied in this thread so no point in keeping it. If you're going to recommend/not recommend a place, at least give a reason.

Darragh

Whatever you do, do not buy from <snip>! Don't want to go into details, but bad for quality etc!

Can not fault there designs, but there after sales is shocking, so far nothing of the quality has been an issue.....8 months in!

DOH!!!!

Yeah, you'll find that most places in Cavan close on Mondays. Darn.....

What?!! I went to loadsa places after that and they were all open??

This "Close Day" is stupid..... come on its 2009!!!

Well, most hairdresser, local clothes shops, smaller hard wares find closing on a monday a good idea!!!! I dunno, must be a Cavan thing.

• Advertisement

AFAIK different towns have different "closed days"
    for example - cootehill is on a tuesday, shercock a thursday....

Hairdressers always closed on a monday, but some of the newer ones open on a monday.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

Best kitchen supplier in cavan in Tullyvin wood products cootehill. First class design. Workmanship second to none and aftersales service excellent. think they have a website.

I would have no hesitation in recommending. My kitchen was completed a few months ago and i couldn't be happier. Some horror stories out there.

I got my kitchen from Tullyvin too at the beginning of this year...have to say I am disappointed:(...I have glue marks on the worktop that break my heart every time the sun shines in and shows them off, also uses the old style of soft close screwed on the internal wall/shelves of the cabinets, which ok isn't the end of the world but types on the hinge would be nicer, the little stickers to cover the screw holes don’t match the MDF carcase…which we paid the premium for or the few that are on the actual kitchen…also just watch out for the dust…only we happened to be there when the kick board of the island was being put on we swept the dust from under it… I dread to what’s under the rest:eek:!!!

I would have to say go with John’s design…if he can’t do it, it’s for a reason. He’s a professional and knows what way a kitchen should be laid out, you’ll be glad in the end:D. I too went to McAdams and found them TERRIBLE!! <snip - please don't use people's names> was the gut I dealt with and he was the most uninterested designer I came across…gave no idea’s or tips in the way <snip - please do not use people's names> of Tullyvin Wood Products did. Also I know other people that have used McAdam and the doors are always falling off...crap hinges!!

Tiles

Longford Tiles and Bathrooms are definitely worth a look. Great show room, I got my main bathroom tiles there and only I had already picked others tile in Erne I quiet possible wouldn’t have ordered all from them!!!

Carpets/Flooring

Brutons just outside of Virginia, great selection and if you’re prepared to haggle you’ll get a great deal, we did, for Balterio Laminate flooring and I’m delighted with it.

I got my kitchen from Tullyvin too at the beginning of this year...have to say I am disappointed:(...I have glue marks on the worktop that break my heart every time the sun shines in and shows them off, also uses the old style of soft close screwed on the internal wall/shelves of the cabinets, which ok isn't the end of the world but types on the hinge would be nicer, the little stickers to cover the screw holes don’t match the MDF carcase…which we paid the premium for or the few that are on the actual kitchen…also just watch out for the dust…only we happened to be there when the kick board of the island was being put on we swept the dust from under it… I dread to what’s under the rest:eek:!!!

I would have to say go with John’s design…if he can’t do it, it’s for a reason. He’s a professional and knows what way a kitchen should be laid out, you’ll be glad in the end:D. I too went to McAdams and found them TERRIBLE!! <snip> was the gut I dealt with and he was the most uninterested designer I came across…gave no idea’s or tips in the way <SNIP> of Tullyvin Wood Products did. Also I know other people that have used McAdam and the doors are always falling off...crap hinges!!

Tiles

Longford Tiles and Bathrooms are definitely worth a look. Great show room, I got my main bathroom tiles there and only I had already picked others tile in Erne I quiet possible wouldn’t have ordered all from them!!!

Carpets/Flooring

Brutons just outside of Virginia, great selection and if you’re prepared to haggle you’ll get a great deal, we did, for Balterio Laminate flooring and I’m delighted with it.

Well just my 2 cents on your post.

We used <snip - please don't use people's names> in McAdams, she is a great designer. So the other chap must have done the job while she was off.

+1 on the Balterio stuff, we used it and it looks fab.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

Well just my 2 cents on your post.

We used <snip> in McAdams, she is a great designer. So the other chap must have done the job while she was off.

+1 on the Balterio stuff, we used it and it looks fab.

Don't think he was there covering, we were in the office and there was a blonde Lady (I assume <snip>) being really enthusiastic and full of beans in the office with another couple and there he was to us, where do you want me to put the hob…we said well where do you think we should put it and the other appliances?? His reply where ever you want them, I had only the stipulation that I would like an eye level oven, the rest I didn’t mind. He was the professional, he should have been giving it loads about the cooks triangle and what not…so when making the appointment, don’t have it with <snip - please don't use people's names>!!! Have to say I went to Neff demo in McAdams last year and it was brilliant…although I did buy Bosch Appliances, I learnt loads:D!!!!

Yeah, thats her alright, its amazing how you can be looked after so differently by 2 people in the same company!

Sure Bosch = Neff.

Thanks to all for the advice.
    I will be looking into all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Just a word here folks.

When suggesting companies that people shouldn't go with, please

(a) give a reason based on what your experience is, and
    (b) don't name employees in companies.

Think about it - would you want your name listed in your job as being "terrible"? Now, even if it's true, please avoid doing it.

I've had to edit this post because of the above, following a complaint from one of the companies listed above.

Also, when reading, please be aware that we have no way of telling who is a genuine poster and who might be a competing company out to damage reputations. Try as we might, we can't guarantee everything and anything on this forum is true and we strongly advise caution when listening to negative advice.

If I can clarify this for anyone, please do drop me a line at hello@boards.ie

Thanks

Darragh

I still waiting on my call..... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mailtome

thought we were doing the right thing getting our kitchen from the UK and
    they looked fab. Bad idea as have now an unfinished kitchen and I have given up. Need to get someone that would call out and rescue my kitchen and lessen learnt stick to local dealers as its easier to get to them.
    no money saved only heartache. Tiles from Erne tiles very good and thankfully my husband a brilliant tiler.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

Paul Mc Cabe 087 7587192, based in Shercock

He fits kitchens for one of the kitchen companies in a retail parks in Dundalk or Drogheda, I think its Kitchen World,he is also a good tiler & chippie, fits wooden floors, patio's etc, made fitted wardrobes and tiled a kitchen for a mate

Advertisement