Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutro Dogfood

Options
  • 22-09-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone used this? I'm moving my dog off Orijen for her next bag and was recommended this.

It doesn't get a good review on dogfoodanalysis.com but some breeders swear by it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have used it, it didn't agree with one of my dogs (but she has a sensitive belly anyway, most foods don't suit her) but the others were fine on it. I class it around the same level as Royal Canin in regards to quality so it's good stuff. I'm a big lover or Orijen, it's the best food I have come across! The same company do a cheaper food called Acana which is also good. It's available on www.zooplus.ie. Maybe get a smaller bag of the Nutro to see if it agrees with your dog and if you are happy with it then go with the bigger bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have used it, it didn't agree with one of my dogs (but she has a sensitive belly anyway, most foods don't suit her) but the others were fine on it. I class it around the same level as Royal Canin in regards to quality so it's good stuff. I'm a big lover or Orijen, it's the best food I have come across! The same company do a cheaper food called Acana which is also good. It's available on www.zooplus.ie. Maybe get a smaller bag of the Nutro to see if it agrees with your dog and if you are happy with it then go with the bigger bag.

I'm not sure if I should go with it or not. It has gotten some pretty bad press in the States for not agreeing with dogs but this well known breeder I know swore by it and said several reputable breeders she knows also use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

out of curiosity, why are you moving off of Orijen? That's what I was hoping to move to next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Lemlin wrote: »
    this well known breeder I know swore by it and said several reputable breeders she knows also use it.

Breeders might know what they're doing when it comes to putting two dogs together and letting them make babies, or in the show ring, but they don't necessarily have qualifications in dog nutrition.

I've had good breeders assure me that X food is great, only to have a vet contradict them when consulted.

Nutro isn't the worst food out there, but its top 3 ingredients (the lamb version) are "Dried lamb protein (min. 26 %), ground rice (min. 26 %), rice flour". At least 26% rice, the 2nd largest quantity ingredient in the food. In comparison, Orijen has "DDe-boned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal" - top 3 ingredients are named meat, and overall there is 75% high quality meat in the food.

Is there any particular reason you are deciding to change to a lower quality food? I mean, fair enough if it disagrees with your dog, but if it isn't broken don't try fix it ;)

Breeders might know what they're doing when it comes to putting two dogs together and letting them make babies, or in the show ring, but they don't necessarily have qualifications in dog nutrition.

I've had good breeders assure me that X food is great, only to have a vet contradict them when consulted.

Nutro isn't the worst food out there, but its top 3 ingredients (the lamb version) are "Dried lamb protein (min. 26 %), ground rice (min. 26 %), rice flour". At least 26% rice, the 2nd largest quantity ingredient in the food. In comparison, Orijen has "DDe-boned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal" - top 3 ingredients are named meat, and overall there is 75% high quality meat in the food.

Is there any particular reason you are deciding to change to a lower quality food? I mean, fair enough if it disagrees with your dog, but if it isn't broken don't try fix it ;)

I find that my dog is scratching alot. She hasn't fleas but at times you would think she has. I've read that high levels of protein can cause itchiness in a dog's coat so I thought that changing her off the Orijen may help.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    I find that my dog is scratching alot. She hasn't fleas but at times you would think she has. I've read that high levels of protein can cause itchiness in a dog's coat so I thought that changing her off the Orijen may help.

Not sure this protein rumour is true to be honest, another one of those things that hits a forum and spreads like wildfire.

Still, worth trying another food if you aren't keen on the Orijen.

Maybe try something like Arden Grange? Decent quality food, but only 25% protein compared to Orijens 42%

Not sure this protein rumour is true to be honest, another one of those things that hits a forum and spreads like wildfire.

Still, worth trying another food if you aren't keen on the Orijen.

Maybe try something like Arden Grange? Decent quality food, but only 25% protein compared to Orijens 42%

It mightn't be the protein but some of these foods are hypoallergenic or for sensitive skins so thought they might help. Orijen doesn't make any mention of being for sensitive skins.

I was thinking about Arden Grane but then I wanted to order off Zooplus because they stock cow's ears and I wanted to get a few of those. I can't find them in any pet shop here though.

What about the James Wellbeloved cereal free stuff? I was thinking about it either.

I used James Wellbeloved ferret food (for my ferrets, not my dog!) for a long time, and they did very well on it. Didnt even realise they did a cereal free version, and it looks pretty good. Grains aren't needed for dogs and cats, so getting the carbs from rice/potato etc. is much better.

I used James Wellbeloved ferret food (for my ferrets, not my dog!) for a long time, and they did very well on it. Didnt even realise they did a cereal free version, and it looks pretty good. Grains aren't needed for dogs and cats, so getting the carbs from rice/potato etc. is much better.

Its £39.99 on Zooplus for a 10kg bag so might try a bag of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

ive used arden grange burns and rc for my fella in the past i have to say arden grange suits him best.
    every dog is different tho
    nutro is not the best but it aint the the worst either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Nutro UK has just stopped trading so I'd be wary of switching a dog to their food for the next while as supplies may not be guaranteed.

There's an announcement on their website

Advertisement