Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting daily from Dunshaughlin to Dublin City Centre?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Does anyone here commute daily from Dunshaughlin to Dublin City Centre?

I am looking at a house in Dunshaughlin and I want to get an idea how long it takes to get into Duiblin City Centre by bus.

Are the buses fequent in the morning / evening?

If I got a bus at 8am would I make it to o Connell Street before 9am?

I work on Stephens Green and start work at 9am.

Also, in terms of going home in the evening what sort of time does it take by bus during the peak times (5:30pm - 6pm)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

Hey

I live in Dunshaughlin and I commuted to a job on grafton street for a few years.
    If you need to be in Stephens green for 9am no way would an 8am bus get you there. I used to get the 8am to be in for half nine. There's a half seven an quarter to eight..that's what you'd probably have to take. The traffic is VERY hit and miss, although with the recession and the new roads it has eases up a little especially around fairy house..but again bad days can have you on a bus for an hour and a half..
    Having said that, I did it for a long time and once you get you timing down it's grand, but again 8am won't get you in before 9.
    If you're going home get the 6 bus, usually getting home is grand, but the later you leave it the better, the 5.30 means you'll be stuck in really heavy traffic especially coming out of town.
    Hope that helps

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Jizzer

Thanks LC.

Anything up to an hour us fine for me. :)

You don't commute any more from Dunshaughlin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

No, I'm jobless now! (I went back to college and re surfaced to discover there were no jobs..nice)

also, an MP3 player on the 109 is a f**king MUST..It's the only thing that will kepp you sane on that bus..

LilyCullen wrote: »
    also, an MP3 player on the 109 is a f**king MUST..It's the only thing that will kepp you sane on that bus..

haha... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

If you're commuting into town, Ashbourne is a better bet if you can afford it*.

Leaving aside the obvious fact of Ashbourne being 5km closer to Dublin, you'd also have the choice of the toll-free M2 motorway or traffic-less R135 road to the M50 junction. Then pretty bad traffic at the M50 junction but nothing on the scale of the N3 junction - and a partial freeflow junction will be finished next year. Then a QBC bus lane from there to the Whitworth Road.

The bus never takes more than an hour in or out, often 40 minutes when the schools are off and 30-35 mins at the weekend. You'd be doing well to find places in Dublin proper where you can get to and from as quick.

Dunshaughlin is still going to have a lot more through-traffic than it should have once the bypass opens next year as the M3 will be twice-tolled. And I'd imagine what's now the N3 will still have plenty of traffic between there and the M50 for the same reason.

*Not to mention all the things Dunshaughlin doesn't have, like 5 big supermarkets and a cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Sillan tours goes through Dunshaughlin 4 times in the morning and same the way back. They are very reliable and I'll get you details if you want me to.

Sillan tours goes through Dunshaughlin 4 times in the morning and same the way back. They are very reliable and I'll get you details if you want me to.

Thanks a million. I would appreciate that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Jizzer wrote: »
    Thanks a million. I would appreciate that :)

Here you go:

http://sillantoursltd.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Moanin wrote: »

Good man, I was late in seeing this thread again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yellowday

Hey,

Did the commute for a while last year and here's what I found:-

- Needed to be at the bus stop for 6.50 to be towards the front of the queue for the 7.10 bus. This bus would then get you to Stephens Green by 8
    - If you get a bus any later than that then the journey time starts increasing quite a bit
    - The journey back in the evening is not as convenient as you have to get back to bus aras. Need to leave approx 25 mins walk to bus and then average journey time of 1hr 20mins if getting 5.30 bus
    - Journey times are a bit unpredictable and at times you could be back in one hour or you could be unlucky and it might take two. (though not very often!)

That was a year ago so others might have more up2date info based on these recesionnary times!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement