Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aptitude test for mature student

Options
  • 22-09-2009 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi there, I'm thinking of applying as a mature student for Arts omnibus degree starting in sept 2010.

I'm hoping to take French and Spanish to get into the PGDE program to become a secondary French teacher.

Any advice on entry as a mature student? I heard there is an aptitude test, has anybody taken it? What sort of questions do they ask?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It depends on what your existing qualifications are, as far as I know. Some students will benefit from an Access programme, which includes an exam that will count towards your entry. If so, and you want to start a degree in UCD in 2010, you need to look in to it NOW, since the course has already started. (The Science/Engineering Access course is full, but Arts is not, according to the website.)

My own case was different: my school results were probably good enough in general (though they were from years ago in a different country). I also took a GMAT a few years ago, which served as a kind of aptitude test in my application. A GRE might do the same job.

edit: I know the G in those two tests stands for "Graduate", but they are quite doable by any reasonably smart person regardless of qulifications. They test for general academic skills that are very useful at any level e.g. abstract reasoning, quantitative skills (basic numeracy), comprehension, etc. They don't replace specific graduate entry requirements where applicable.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sachor

In order to apply as a mature student to arts you apply through the CAO like school leavers. There is a new test in place for mature applicants to Arts & Social Science called the MSAP. This is compulsory and without it your application to arts will not be accepted. It's being held on 20th Feb 2010 & costs €65. If you miss this test date you will not be able to apply. Further information can be found here http://msap.acer.edu.au/ They give sample papers as well.

If you get offered a place on the BA make sure you register on the day registration opens. Modules tend to fill up fast and the people that leave it late are often disappointed!

Ah - I thought I remembered something else specific for mature students doing Arts in Ireland. I suspect they might take one of those other tests (GRE / GMAT) if you did one, but the MSAP is much less expensive and probably easier (since it's aimed at undergraduates).

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sachor

I had a look at those two tests and they're aimed at graduates, and in the case of the GMAT, specifically at business graduates. Not necessary at all for undergraduate arts. The MSAP is a specific course requirement to study at UCD so allyatsea definitely has to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I entered Arts this year as a mature student. Besides the usual UCD requirements(Forms and entry essay etc.) you need to do the MSAP as someone already mentioned. Its a multiple choice type test with two essay questions also, be warned its not very well run because its an external company that operates it, you only get one chance a year on a set date to do it so be careful. Thats about it but make sure you get everything booked and all your paperwork in well in advance.

Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 allyatsea

Thanks guys, so looks like it's he MSAP. I had a look at their website and the example questions and it seems manageable, if a little ambiguous.

I'm looking at getting all info necessary for admission in sept 2010. Dr Gonzo (or anyone else in same situation), do you have any advice on mature student applications? (what to write in personal statement, how to present CV, number of words for each category, better on paper on online, etc?)

Sorry allyatsea haven't been on in a bit. As for advice the one thing i'd say is dont sweat the essay yoke, mine was very average and not long at all(About 500 words) talking about myself, why i wanted to do the course, what i wanted to get out of it, previous experience if any and hobbies. Dont take it overly seriously just write truthfully, somewhat candidly but watch your grammar, punctuation etc of course.

Make sure you keep an eye on upcoming dates, thats also very important. The three main ones would be 1) Your CAO paperwork 2) Your MSAP application which is entirely online and done in two minutes or so. Finally 3) Your MSAP exam date. As i said before theres only one chance a year to book and subsequently sit this exam and that is entirely set in stone, theres no extenuating circumstances so make sure you sort the latter two dates above as far in advance as possible.

After that im not really sure what to say. Its a bit of an awkward process all round but if i can do it anyone can. Its just a matter of knowing from the very start whats involved in the entire process and knocking those out systematically.

Again good luck and enjoy college!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Sorry allyatsea haven't been on in a bit. As for advice the one thing i'd say is dont sweat the essay yoke, mine was very average and not long at all(About 500 words) talking about myself, why i wanted to do the course, what i wanted to get out of it, previous experience if any and hobbies. Dont take it overly seriously just write truthfully, somewhat candidly but watch your grammar, punctuation etc of course.

Make sure you keep an eye on upcoming dates, thats also very important. The three main ones would be 1) Your CAO paperwork 2) Your MSAP application which is entirely online and done in two minutes or so. Finally 3) Your MSAP exam date. As i said before theres only one chance a year to book and subsequently sit this exam and that is entirely set in stone, theres no extenuating circumstances so make sure you sort the latter two dates above as far in advance as possible.

After that im not really sure what to say. Its a bit of an awkward process all round but if i can do it anyone can. Its just a matter of knowing from the very start whats involved in the entire process and knocking those out systematically.

Again good luck and enjoy college!

+1 I nearly got caught out on the MSAP date, keep an eye out for that one. As for the exam itself, this year's one was divided into 2 papers (bear with me here as I didn't keep the paper after the exam):

Paper 1 : a number of sections that might include a short passage of a story, a poem, a maths problem (possibly account balancing?), a political cartoon.
    You are then asked a number of questions on each section. The questions seem to be designed to evaluate your critical thinking skills, and I think the maths problem is to make sure you know rudimentary maths.

Paper 2 : Two essay questions. One argumentative and one personal. If you've written essays for the Leaving Cert then you should be well able for this section.

All in all, you can't really study for the test. Its designed to measure your common sense and basic reading/writing/maths skills. Just make sure you get a decent nights sleep the night before is the advice that I would give!

Anybody else who has done the test please add to or correct what I've said, memory of it is slightly hazy now.

EDIT: just noticed in your post that they have sample questions on the website. So you know what I'm talking about then!

Funglegunk wrote: »
    +1 I nearly got caught out on the MSAP date, keep an eye out for that one. As for the exam itself, this year's one was divided into 2 papers (bear with me here as I didn't keep the paper after the exam):

Paper 1 : a number of sections that might include a short passage of a story, a poem, a maths problem (possibly account balancing?), a political cartoon.
    You are then asked a number of questions on each section. The questions seem to be designed to evaluate your critical thinking skills, and I think the maths problem is to make sure you know rudimentary maths.

Paper 2 : Two essay questions. One argumentative and one personal. If you've written essays for the Leaving Cert then you should be well able for this section.

All in all, you can't really study for the test. Its designed to measure your common sense and basic reading/writing/maths skills. Just make sure you get a decent nights sleep the night before is the advice that I would give!

Anybody else who has done the test please add to or correct what I've said, memory of it is slightly hazy now.

EDIT: just noticed in your post that they have sample questions on the website. So you know what I'm talking about then!

Thats really it in a nutshell as i remember it actually. Good info there.

Hey guys just wondering about another thing. I heard it was only best 10% in aptitude test that get into UCD arts mature students. Is that true?

What do they base selection on? Your Leaving cert points years ago? Personal statement? Only the aptitude test?I've done another arts degree and got a 2.1 in it 3 years ago, would that be a help or a hindrance?

• Advertisement

Never heard that one before. Why not check what UCD has to say on this, or ask? MyUCD Mature Students

Only some programmes have places allocated for "mature student entry", but it's not a fixed percentage. "Mature student entry" means students who don't get in on merit (LC marks etc.) - which is not always the case.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BryanThompson

bnt wrote: »

"Mature student entry" means students who don't get in on merit (LC marks etc.) - which is not always the case.

Thats a disgrace now, how can a person get entry to a university without "merit"...how do maturey's get in so??:confused:

Thats a disgrace now, how can a person get entry to a university without "merit"...how do maturey's get in so??:confused:
    I was referring to "Application on the grounds of Mature Years" as the booklet is titled - why not have a look? Maybe I should rephrase that as "lack of LC credits is not a dealbreaker". Merit does matter, of course - just not LC points alone.

Look at it this way: the day you leave school, LC points are all you have, so they're all that UCD has on which to evaluate you. Mature students can have those too, of course, but if not, they can use other courses and life experience to support their application. As they say, "Mature applicants need to provide supplementary information in addition to their CAO form" - every course certificate or reference can help your case. Mature Arts applicants now have to take the aptitude test, as already mentioned, so if I made it sound as if they just let anyone in, that was wrong. .

— Kingsley Amis

Just to let you guys know, I got the results of the aptitude test and did well, and now got an offer for place on UCD Arts Omnibus, so happy!

allyatsea wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know, I got the results of the aptitude test and did well, and now got an offer for place on UCD Arts Omnibus, so happy!

Great news, good work.

Advertisement