Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGDE teaching practice timetables

Options
  • 22-09-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I am trying to decide between Maynooth and UCD as my first choice for the PGDE. I like that Maynooth has two full days a week in the teaching practice school. What do people think of the UCD/Trinity system of teaching in the mornings and then lectures in the afternoons? I don't think I would like only being in the school in the mornings, seems a bit rushed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭eager tortoise

DaisyPem wrote: »
    Hi, I am trying to decide between Maynooth and UCD as my first choice for the PGDE. I like that Maynooth has two full days a week in the teaching practice school. What do people think of the UCD/Trinity system of teaching in the mornings and then lectures in the afternoons? I don't think I would like only being in the school in the mornings, seems a bit rushed.

There are pros and cons for both systems I think but personally speaking I did it at Maynooth and loved having 2 days a week in school. Being there all day long you got a good feel for the school and were around to pick up the odd subbing class here and there if it came up. Also it was nice being able to go into college on Tues, Weds and Thurs relaxed and in casual clothes knowing you'd be there for the day. Another plus was that when Thurs came around you were looking forward to going back to school the following day and on Mon you could look forward to 3 days of being in someone else's classes for a change! I think it was well varied and definitely no sense of rushing around, although obviously you still have plenty on with assignments, lesson plans etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭D.Mar

Thanks that's really helpful. The school I'm hoping to do TP in is in Dublin city centre, but if that's allowed then I think I'll put Maynooth down first. I think it's much better to have the two full days in the school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I found the UCD system very very stressful and you never had time to yourself. I was lucky in that i had a school ten mins from UCD, i really felt for those that were far away. The only positive is that you can create strong realtionships with your classes as you are in the school every morning and afternoon. Personally, because of the massive workload in the year, id have preferred the Maynootbh system. Think they have a block system in Galway which is arguably the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭D.Mar

Could anyone tell me what the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were like in Maynooth for the PGDE. Are you there all day 9-5, or does it vary?

Advertisement