Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

naming baby

Options
  • 22-09-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi everyone, I'm currently 6 months pregnant & desperately trying to find a name for the new arrival. It's a boy. When I suggest names I like to my partner, he thinks they're too feminine. He likes the name Odin but I need some feedback from the great Irish public on this one. It's a Scandinavian name but I think it has a very Irish sound about it, kind of like Orin or Olan (sp?). Let me know what you think. Looking forward to hearing back from you! P.S. Also do you know anyone named Odin???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

It's certainly unusual!!
    Does it go with the surname and do the initials work? (i.e. not OK, ODD or something!)
    Is there any scandanavian connection in either family?
    Any particular reason he has for choosing it? Apart from just liking it!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Odin's a great name IMO.

We were looking at some Nordic names ourselves. Nearly got killed when I mentioned Snorri... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 enilec

cch wrote: »
    It's certainly unusual!!
    Does it go with the surname and do the initials work? (i.e. not OK, ODD or something!)
    Is there any scandanavian connection in either family?
    Any particular reason he has for choosing it? Apart from just liking it!

Initials will be O.K. but I don't think that's a problem. No scandinavian connection, we just came across the name. We try to avoid common names, our daughter has the name of an Amazonian climbing vine, but there's no South American family connections either! No particular reason for choosing it apart from wanting to steer clear of the norm without being too wacky, wouldn't want the child to be emotionally scarred for life because of his name. On the plus side, I think the name has an interesting background. Thanks for your input.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Odin's a great name IMO.

We were looking at some Nordic names ourselves. Nearly got killed when I mentioned Snorri... ;)

I knew a dog called Snorri once so that's given me an instant negative reaction to that name...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I find asking peoples advice about names before you've decided will result in two things:

1) they like the name
    2) they don't like the name, tell you so, and you find this upsetting.

On the flip side, if you just go with a name you'll find people very accepting of it.

We had a classic example (and learned the hard way to keep our gobs shut) with our little girl. We decided to call her Róisín. Now I _LOVE_ the name but before she was born her gran asked, we told her, she's all "I don't like it". Fup. Where do you go from there like? Next time we're sticking with "we'll decide on the day" (though in reality we've already decided names).

Anyway: Odin? I think it's ok. Picking names is tough. People will get used to it one way or the other.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I quite like Odin. I wouldn't call my own child Odin, but I like it. It's unusual, but not in a weird quirky-just-for-the-sake-of-it kind of way. If that makes sense! And no, I've never met anyone called Odin.

You say it has an Irishy sound to it - if you were considering similar Irish names, I love the name Odhran, pronounced Oran. Or you could spell Odin as Odan to make it more Irish.

And Khannie - I love the name Róisín! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Never heard it before but it is not awful,came across Odhan and Odhran in Ireland.
    I like Róisín too and Ciara but there are far too many of both around.
    My girls names were Dearbhail or Caoimhe,love Síofra too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

A good friend of mine named his child Chiggy. At first I thought it was really strange, but its actually really nice the more you hear it. Chiggy... It just rolls of the tongue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Rondolfus wrote: »
    A good friend of mine named his child Chiggy. At first I thought it was really strange, but its actually really nice the more you hear it. Chiggy... It just rolls of the tongue

Isn't that what the tabloids called Chanelle/Ziggy in Big Brother a couple of years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Odin?
    Oh dear sweet gods above and below.

OK you can name your child what you will but have you read up on who Odin is?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin
    http://www.pantheon.org/articles/o/odin.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Isn't that what the tabloids called Chanelle/Ziggy in Big Brother a couple of years ago?

OMG I never watched big brother so I never made a connection. If that is the case im shocked and have changed my opinion of the name.

Please don't name the child Chiggy

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Odin?
    Oh dear sweet gods above and below.

OK you can name your child what you will but have you read up on who Odin is?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin
    http://www.pantheon.org/articles/o/odin.html

I'm aware of who Odin is - that's not what puts me off the name, it's just that I'm not sure if I actually like the name itself. The only thing that makes me like it really is the mythology behind it! I like the name Aidan (I'd probably spell it Aedan) which has quite a similar sound but the OH is putting his foot down & WANTS Odin but he named our daughter so surely it's my turn now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well from my perspective as a pagan and knowing the edda well and some of the tricks, stunts and things which Odin is accused of and had to suffer I would not consdier naming a child that, no more then I would consider name a child after an Mhor Rioghain (The Morrigan).

As for who gets to name the children that is something you will have to riddle out with your partner. Mine had his mind set on our sons name and then he saw me gave birth and conceeded to my arguements to make the name he wanted as our son's second name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Odlum maybe?

You must remember that alot of Irish names originate from scandinavia - ie. The Vikings. Apparently my name, Gráinne, is very Scandinavian sounding (according to a norwegian I once met!)

I quite like Odin actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

enilec wrote: »
    I'm aware of who Odin is - that's not what puts me off the name, it's just that I'm not sure if I actually like the name itself. The only thing that makes me like it really is the mythology behind it! I like the name Aidan (I'd probably spell it Aedan) which has quite a similar sound but the OH is putting his foot down & WANTS Odin but he named our daughter so surely it's my turn now...

what did you call your daughter? I quite like the name. Something different anyway.

lolli wrote: »
    what did you call your daughter? I quite like the name. Something different anyway.

Hi Lolli, my daughter is Liana (lee-ah-nah not lee-anna!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

I find it hilarious among my work colleagues and other friends when they were deciding on names,. It seemed each was trying to out-do the other with more and more outlandish names with different pronounciations of the same bloody name.

To the OP, Odin is a nice original name - unusual and unique (-ish). I had a mate in school called Olan and i always thought that was a cool name. But a word of warning. My wife and some of her friends are teachers and they see first-hand the un-merciless slagging and bullying that goes on towards some kids with 'unusual' names. I for one would hate to put that on a child, having been tormented in school myself.

DUBACC wrote: »
    But a word of warning. My wife and some of her friends are teachers and they see first-hand the un-merciless slagging and bullying that goes on towards some kids with 'unusual' names. I for one would hate to put that on a child, having been tormented in school myself.

So Dubacc, are you saying that you think he'd be slagged off with a name like Odin? I want a name that's not common but not weird-for-the-sake-of-being-weird either... cos I hate that too. Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

We had a couple of rules when naming our kids. We have a long surname and picked short (3 and 4 letter) first names. Nothing worse than a really long first name and surname.
    Also, why do people pick a regular name, and then decide to spell it in a way that is not universially recognised? Can't they see that somewhere in the future their little child is going to have to explain to everyone that the way to spell their name is not actually the normal way. Bit of a pain I would imagine.
    As for Odin, well it won't be misspelled, and it ain't too bad either. And at least its not one of those...no I'll stop there!

• Advertisement

As for Odin, well it won't be misspelled, and it ain't too bad either. And at least its not one of those...no I'll stop there!
    I'm intrigued Maxwell, do go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Helmet on the head for this one so.

Why do people give their kids completly unprenouncable names? Names like Sadhbh, Aoibheann, Aoibhinn etc? Now I'm all for our national heritage, but fast forward to when their 21 working in London, New York or similar......Can their parents even imagine the difficulty people will have in saying these names?
    Maybe I just believe that names should be seen as a way to intigrate yourself with the wider world. Because the way this economy is going we'll all be working for the IMF soon!

Helmet on the head for this one so.

Why do people give their kids completly unprenouncable names? Names like Sadhbh, Aoibheann, Aoibhinn etc? !

Tee hee, I don't agree with you there. I hate when people give their kids Irish names but anglicise the spelling. But I imagine it would get annoying with people spelling/pronouncing your name incorrectly all the time. I have a fairly regular name (spelt in a straight forward way) but have always come up against people who have difficulty with it. My forename is French in origin but not unknown in these parts, my surname is a common Irish family name but without the usual 'O' so this cause some people "difficulty". I think if a person respects you enough they will get your name right. Hate when they get it wrong - it's so insulting.
    Love your IMF comment btw.

Hi Lolli, my daughter is Liana (lee-ah-nah not lee-anna!!!).

oooh thats a gorgeous name.

lolli wrote: »
    oooh thats a gorgeous name.

Unfortunately it's a name that people can't get to grips with. She is constantly being called Leanne, especially by older people and don't get me started on the spelling! Sooooooo annoying. -_-

Same with my sisters name. Shes called Naoise a lot of ppl cant say it at all. she gets called Alicia a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

So Dubacc, are you saying that you think he'd be slagged off with a name like Odin? I want a name that's not common but not weird-for-the-sake-of-being-weird either... cos I hate that too. Thanks for your input.

hope this might help:

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/suitability_of_Odin.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Maybe I just believe that names should be seen as a way to intigrate yourself with the wider world. Because the way this economy is going we'll all be working for the IMF soon!

Hope your kids are either called Mohommed or Chen then!

Don't see the problem with traditional names to be honest, and a trend towards people not giving the names to their children due to pronouncability issues is going to lead to them dying out and most kids being called names that are pronounced exactly as they are written. Think it's a bid sad personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Have you considered Eoin?
    It's the Irish version of Owen?
    There's a fada on the o, bùt don't know what button to get it on screen.

OR

.Lorcan

.I love the names Glen and Adam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Have you considered Eoin?
    It's the Irish version of Owen?
    There's a fada on the o, bùt don't know what button to get it on screen.

Sorry, have to jump in there. Eoin is a simplification of Eoghan, which was the Irish version of John. Owen is an Anglicisation of Eoghan/Eoin. You CANNOT put a fada randomly on an English name, there's a W in it ffs!

As for suggesting that people should anglicise names to make them easier to pronounce, did we not have 800 years of that?! All of my family have Irish names and like explaining to people their origin. Why make it easier for people to be lazy? In school, if I come across a new name, I check with the student how to pronounce it and make a conscious effort to get it right. Others, however, don't bother and call them whatever is convenient e.g for Natalia, calling the poor girl Natalie. It's basic manners, your name is the first thing people encounter, how you introduce yourself.

Advertisement