Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Holland

• 22-09-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I was looking at a TS100 New Holland in Northern Ireland at the weekend, and was offered first refusal on it. Rang monday morning to buy and was told was sold.

They seemed like a nice tractor. How different would these be from a tl90.

I am coming from a ford 4600 so I know it is a big move up. How much whould I expect to pay for a 00/01 model with 3000- 5000 hours.

Also the gears are quite different than what I am used to.What does dual power mean as opposed to not having it?

Can the gear systems go wrong in these tractors?

Thanks a million for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

As far as I know as I know, it's got to do with the fiat/ford/new holland merger, the TS series is basically a FORD, the TL series were more based on the FIAT.

Remember you've another choice aswell.........the TD series.

I was looking fat buying a TL90 or similiar tractor in 06. Looked at a load of TL's, but all high hours (remember any tractor with 4000 - 5000 hrs has laot of work done. Was looking at around 25000 for a 01 TL, bought a )03 TD85D for 22000 with only 300hrs on the clock!!

I know they are a lighter tractor, but you should buy for your requirements. Shop wisely my friend. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

tl are better tractor, better backend and engine so i was told!!!!

i think the td is a 3.9 engine where the tl are 4.4 or 5 so there would be more poke in the tl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

The TS range is just a successor to the 40 series fords. The TS100 is about 90hp, so is no ball of fire given its weight, but they are a lovely tractor.

I have a TS115 from new and all the other tractors on the farm are either 4600s or 4000. There is a bit of a difference alright, but I'm quite fond of the old Fords.

Btw I think you could fit a TS100 engine to a Ford 4600 without any modifications, the bolt holes are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kulchie

I bought a '99 TL 90(2800 hrs) with a NH/Stoll loader in June. It's a big step up given that my last tractor was a 2wd '79 6600. Chalk and Cheese. The TL90 has a 3.9L turbo 4-cylinder engine. The TS100 has a larger 5L engine. The gears are simple enough once you get the hang of it, a forward/reverse lever on your L.H.S.(good for loader work) and 2 gear levers on your right - a gear selector(1-2-3-4) and a range selector(1-2-3) way better than the 66's 2x4.
    The Dual power or 'go faster' button is nice, a little extra oomph...
    Niggles..
    -The cab is a little smaller than what I'm used to and does get a bit sticky hot even with the blower on full.
    -Because it is short, it is inclined to bounce around a bit on the road, for this reason I leave the loader on F/t.
    -Pickup hitch location, it's impossible to see from the cab if the P.U.H. is aligned properly to pick up a trailer.
    -It's a bit thirsty
    Overall I'm delighted with it so far, although I haven't put it under any real pressure. Its done a bit of mowing with a disc mower & some loader work.
    More info on TL90 specs on this finnish site and TS100

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

maidhc wrote: »
    The TS range is just a successor to the 40 series fords. The TS100 is about 90hp, so is no ball of fire given its weight, but they are a lovely tractor.

I have a TS115 from new and all the other tractors on the farm are either 4600s or 4000. There is a bit of a difference alright, but I'm quite fond of the old Fords.

Btw I think you could fit a TS100 engine to a Ford 4600 without any modifications, the bolt holes are the same.

Thanks for the replies so far great help. I am wondering in drivability would there be a major difference between each of the the tl90 and ts100. Also how would the Ts115 compare would it be way heavier on juice.

Is there any obvious problems I should look out in these types of tractors. I am fairly new to this tractor buying business.

• Advertisement

newholland wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far great help. I am wondering in drivability would there be a major difference between each of the the tl90 and ts100. Also how would the Ts115 compare would it be way heavier on juice.

Is there any obvious problems I should look out in these types of tractors. I am fairly new to this tractor buying business.

Only problem with ours in 3000 hours and 9 years has been a snapped fan belt. It is well looked after though. The PTO failed when it was new alright, but that was fixed. The TS is essentially a 40 series tractor and these have got a reputation of being pretty much bomb proof after a dodgy beginning.

The TS115 is grand on fuel to be honest. It has a massive 200L tank, but unless you are mowing or doing something intensive it seems to last forever. Mind you the 4600 is not a particularly efficient tractor when worked hard, so it won't seem like too much of a shock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

TS= an updated version of the Ford/NH 40 series Based on Ford design, with Ford /NH powerstar engine.Built in UK. there are a wide variety of TS specifications out there so keep an eye for what you need, from the plain synchro gears with or without dual power, to 4 speed semi powershift(electroshift).. mechanical or electronic lift controls(electrolink), electroshift tractors usually had electrolink but not always.
    The electronic systems especially the gears , are known to give problems IF abused and you need a mechanic who is familiar with them, the mechanical versions are almost bulletproof.

TL= an updated version of the xx35 series 6635,7635 etc,TLs have a wet clutch, 35s had a dry clutch. Based on Fiat designs,Iveco/fiat engine.Built in Italy.

TD= Similar spec to the TLs but more basic, based on older Fiat technology, built in Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

TS= an updated version of the Ford/NH 40 series Based on Ford design, with Ford /NH powerstar engine.Built in UK. there are a wide variety of TS specifications out there so keep an eye for what you need, from the plain synchro gears with or without dual power, to 4 speed semi powershift(electroshift).. mechanical or electronic lift controls(electrolink), electroshift tractors usually had electrolink but not always.
    The electronic systems especially the gears , are known to give problems IF abused and you need a mechanic who is familiar with them, the mechanical versions are almost bulletproof.

TL= an updated version of the xx35 series 6635,7635 etc,TLs have a wet clutch, 35s had a dry clutch. Based on Fiat designs,Iveco/fiat engine.Built in Italy.

TD= Similar spec to the TLs but more basic, based on older Fiat technology, built in Turkey.

i taught the ts was made in france ????

The TS and TM series were built at the Ford now NH plant in Basildon, Essex.

Definitely not. Mine has a "Made in Basildon" sticker on it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

tl are better tractor, better backend and engine so i was told!!!!

i think the td is a 3.9 engine where the tl are 4.4 or 5 so there would be more poke in the tl

makes sense , fiat were a far superior tractor to ford

irish_bob wrote: »
    makes sense , fiat were a far superior tractor to ford

?

He is comparing the TD to the TL (I think!), neither of which have a ford heritage.

Ford had some issues throughout the years, but the '40 series and TS are about as indestructible as modern tractors go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yes the TD is indeed a watered down TL! ;)

We'd an old 1983 'orange' 2wd Fiat680 before that so we were looking for something with as little electrics as possible! If anything the 1983 fiat was as 'modern' as the TD!

The TD hasn't a lever at the back to control the lift (prob for safety but makes putting on equip a bit harder sometimes!)

It does bounce on the road too when goin full 40kph, especially with trailer! I took off the front weights when I got it, so think, if it will solve problem, I'I be sticking them back on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Yes the TD is indeed a watered down TL! ;)

We'd an old 1983 'orange' 2wd Fiat680 before that so we were looking for something with as little electrics as possible! If anything the 1983 fiat was as 'modern' as the TD!

The TD hasn't a lever at the back to control the lift (prob for safety but makes putting on equip a bit harder sometimes!)

It does bounce on the road too when goin full 40kph, especially with trailer! I took off the front weights when I got it, so think, if it will solve problem, I'I be sticking them back on!!

TD has a standard dry clutch as well - so it isn't the most suitable for loader work.

reilig wrote: »
    TD has a standard dry clutch as well - so it isn't the most suitable for loader work.

As I said I am new to this so could somebody explain the difference between a dry clutch and wet clutch?

From wikipedia
    "A 'wet clutch' is immersed in a cooling lubricating fluid, which also keeps the surfaces clean and gives smoother performance and longer life. Wet clutches, however, tend to lose some energy to the liquid. A 'dry clutch', as the name implies, is not bathed in fluid. Since the surfaces of a wet clutch can be slippery (as with a motorcycle clutch bathed in transmission oil), stacking multiple clutch disks can compensate for the lower coefficient of friction and so eliminate slippage when fully engaged."

A dry clutch was used on most tractors for many years and was fairly satisfactory (Being simple, easy to work on and relatively cheap), however when a tractor is used for intensive loader work or any operation where frequent direction/gear changes are required, the dry clutch tends to wear quite quickly.

The wet clutch, being oil cooled and lubricated and usually having several sets of clutch plates (the friction surface) tends to last better in intensive use, and is often hydraulically or electrohydraulically controlled to provide for smooth engagement and sometimes an automated fwd/rev cycle at the flick of a switch .
    Tractors often have a several wet clutches, (called packs due to their having several sets of discs ) one for fwd operation, one for rev operation and several working together to provide "powershift" ratio engagement.

John Deeres " Permaclutch" is an example of a wet clutch and as the name suggests it is designed to last a very long time.

I have discovered another one as well that seems to be less complicated albeit a bit bigger for me it is a tm120. Has anybody any experience of these machines.

Aslo why are most dealers in Ireland so rude when you go to visit them. Do they not want to sell tractors?

There are several versions of the 120 out there , the most common being the 120 Classic, with Ford powerstar engine basic synchro shuttle gears, mechanical lift controls and basic hydraulics it is basically a re vamped Fiat F130 from the early 90's and the 120 Range Command , with the 6 speed powershift gears , electronic lift controls and load sensing hydraulics a much more complicated machine.

120 classic are a good basic tractor, loads of them around here drawing silage and spreading slurry and a friend who has both says the classic is a better machine to pull.They are really like a big brother to the TL models as the share much Fiat heritage. However worn brakes and worn hydraulic pumps are common on hard worked examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

I dont know your budget lad but a mate a mine is after buyin a brand new New Holland i think its a TS100A in Cowans Manorcunningham up ere in Donegal, and he got a shocking good deal for cash no trade in, i think it would be well worth looking into for the extra few bob as the dealers are pushing new tractors now like hell to try and keep their franchises coming up to the end of the year !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

DanFindy wrote: »
    I dont know your budget lad but a mate a mine is after buyin a brand new New Holland i think its a TS100A in Cowans Manorcunningham up ere in Donegal, and he got a shocking good deal for cash no trade in, i think it would be well worth looking into for the extra few bob as the dealers are pushing new tractors now like hell to try and keep their franchises coming up to the end of the year !!!!!!

I think that New Holland stopped producing the TS series at the end of 2007. There were a few from "old stock" floating around in early 2008, but the new model of these are the T6000 series. So if it is a TS100A that he bought, it would want to be cheap because the likelyhood is that it has been sitting in a yard for the last 2 years doing nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement