Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic Planning Application - is it a DIY job?

• 22-09-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi All

In advance of doing an attic conversion to storage space, I would like to get planning approved for 2 velux-type windows on the front of the house.
    The two houses either side of mine have the windows, but they got 'retention' planning for them.
    Other houses in the street have the windows, but I don't see any related planning applications :confused:

My question is: as I will only be applying for provision of 2 attic velux-type windows for the front elevation of the house, and I only want the attic converted for storage space, how easy is it to get the necessary planning? I don't want the hassle and expense of engaging an architect, so I'm wondering how hard it is to do it yourself?
    FYI, council area is Fingal.

Thanks
    BigBru

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bigbru wrote: »
    Hi All

In advance of doing an attic conversion to storage space, I would like to get planning approved for 2 velux-type windows on the front of the house.
    The two houses either side of mine have the windows, but they got 'retention' planning for them.
    Other houses in the street have the windows, but I don't see any related planning applications :confused:

My question is: as I will only be applying for provision of 2 attic velux-type windows for the front elevation of the house, and I only want the attic converted for storage space, how easy is it to get the necessary planning? I don't want the hassle and expense of engaging an architect, so I'm wondering how hard it is to do it yourself?

Thanks
    BigBru

yes, it is hard to do for yourself.

regardless of what is being applied for, a standard amount of information needs to be included. The lack of what this information is, WILL lead to at least one if not more invalidations of the application.

This information is to be found in the planning act. This document is open to interpretation by different councils, and persons, so the validation of the application depends on somebodys interpretation of the law. Regular appliers get to know what these interpretations are by trial and error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Any planning application will need the following as a minimum
    http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Planning/Forms/PDFFile,6770,en.pdf
    That's from Mayo CoCo but it is fairly generic for all counties.

Where it deals with 'plans' you will need plans, section(s) and elevations of the house (and neighbouring houses if yours is a semi-d) with the changes highlighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Any planning application will need the following as a minimum
    http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Planning/Forms/PDFFile,6770,en.pdf
    That's from Mayo CoCo but it is fairly generic for all counties.

Where it deals with 'plans' you will need plans, section(s) and elevations of the house (and neighbouring houses if yours is a semi-d) with the changes highlighted.

Jesus Uncle Tom what are you doing looking at my lovely co councils website and you all the way down there in the south east!! Its nice to see we've got something useful over here!!

No6 wrote: »
    Jesus Uncle Tom what are you doing looking at my lovely co councils website and you all the way down there in the south east!! Its nice to see we've got something useful over here!!

First one that came up No.6....:D
    Coincedence is all it is.........not envy, no, not envy.....

Its all just for show they're as bad as anywhere else!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Definatly not a DIY job unless you have plenty of time to waste.

You can easily tell the DIY applications on the council planning enquiry systems as they usually have numerous invalid applications before they get one registered.

It can take up to 3 or 4 weeks for the council to send the planning back to you and by then you may need to readvertise it as the original press notice is out of date.

All in all, your better off getting a professional who will also be able to advise on compliance with building regulations, etc. It shouldnt cost you too much especially if you already have current plans/maps of your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi All

Thanks
    BigBru
    You can do it yourself, but the money saved on fees would easily be spent (and more) on newspaper notices (only valid for two weeks, two invalidations might mean 3 notices)
    I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but even though you prob should engage somebody.
    It doesn't need to be an architect. It doesn't have to go through a formal office procedure.

The best option would be to find a local Architectural Technician, bread and butter and I can't see it being expensive (it would probably cost you less than your time is worth)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

When it comes to minor planning applications like the OP is considering, its a pity that the entire process can't be simplified and put into a format that most of us could utilise to submit our own planning applications which wouldn't get rejected again and again.

I've been through the planning system when submitting the plans for my house. When I finally saw what was required, I wondered why the hell did I pay my Architect €7,500 for the planning application as I was the one who remembered his Leaving Cert Technical Drawing (I got an A :p), drafted the plan (after we rejected 8 of his ridiculous drafts - please don't ask as it brings back painful memories :rolleyes:) and told him to submit my plan. I'm still peeved about this as I could have gotten the ordnance survey map of the area, done the newspaper ads and submitted the plans and additional info myself.

Like a lot of things in life, if you have the skills, you can do it yourself and save a packet on hiring the "professionals" (Bodie and Doyle excepted).

When it comes to minor planning applications like the OP is considering, its a pity that the entire process can't be simplified and put into a format that most of us could utilise to submit our own planning applications which wouldn't get rejected again and again.

I've been through the planning system when submitting the plans for my house. When I finally saw what was required, I wondered why the hell did I pay my Architect €7,500 for the planning application as I was the one who remembered his Leaving Cert Technical Drawing (I got an A :p), drafted the plan (after we rejected 8 of his ridiculous drafts - please don't ask as it brings back painful memories :rolleyes:) and told him to submit my plan. I'm still peeved about this as I could have gotten the ordnance survey map of the area, done the newspaper ads and submitted the plans and additional info myself.

Like a lot of things in life, if you have the skills, you can do it yourself and save a packet on hiring the "professionals" (Bodie and Doyle excepted).

doesnt sound like you needed an architect at all.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When I finally saw what was required, I wondered why the hell did I pay my Architect €7,500 for the planning application as I was the one who remembered his Leaving Cert Technical Drawing (I got an A :p), drafted the plan (after we rejected 8 of his ridiculous drafts - please don't ask as it brings back painful memories :rolleyes:) and told him to submit my plan.

I remember this at the time, or at least a short while later. And I don't really want to speculate, but people like that Architect are the reason the building control act and protection of the title was brought about. (i'm not saying he is or isn't anything, but read into this yourself)

A minor works application would be useful for certain jobs, for a first-timer, but once you are familiar with the process it wouldn't save any time imo.
    I always issue an itemised bill. Including prices for newspaper/site etc. I can say for definate that the my cost involved with these, for minor works, is exactly what it costs to lodge the application

If I cost e150 I charge e150. It makes no sense for me to try an quantify my time spend on it as its so small. I would waste more time this way. If somebody preferred to do it themselves, I would be more than happy to let them. As it just removes the burden of a potential mistake from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bigbru

So can anyone recommend an architectural technician or similar, preferably north county Dublin?
    Seems that's the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

If you are comfortable with/ capable of preparing drawings to scale there is no reason to not attempt it yourself..
    Be thourogh and speak to the council before submitting the application.
    The planning and development act clearly lists all necessary documentation to accompany drawings etc and the council likely have this listed on their planning application form which you can most likely download from the Fingal coco website.

If you go down the route of employing a technician/ draughtsman you shouldn't have to pay more than a couple of hundred euro (excluding newspaper adds and application fees)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 selfbuildlost

you'd be better off getting an architect - some of them are really cheap now (I got planning about 3 years ago it cost me €4k) a friend of mine got it done for 1200 a few months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

So can anyone recommend an architectural technician or similar, preferably north county Dublin?
    Seems that's the way to go.

respond by pms only please

you'd be better off getting an architect - some of them are really cheap now (I got planning about 3 years ago it cost me €4k) a friend of mine got it done for 1200 a few months ago
    Don't you mean reasonably priced...:D

Anyway, this is correct, the current climate has made it such that if you can afford to get your house designed or built now, you will get fantastic value for money. It's just that for most people getting €1,200 now is as tough as getting €4,000, 3 yaers ago.

If the OP has the time and inclination to prepare his own planning application, then go for it and good luck.

Just an update. I have had one offer by PM for this job, coming in at <snip>

SB insert

I am not suggesting you intended it but we do not want to promote a Dutch Auction here .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 whatsurname

I am in the process of doing up a planning application at the moment - my partner is doing up the plans himself ( he did tech drawing and consturction studies in college ). We are going to give it a shot with putting in the application ourselves but can anyone tell me if we are finding it difficult who would be the best people to approach to do up the application (the plans will be complete) and an estimate of how much this might cost - im in the Louth area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

pm's only

Ah, sorry about that sinnerboy. I was merely pointing out discrepancy in predicted charges vs. a real offer.

Apologies again.

Ah, sorry about that sinnerboy. I was merely pointing out discrepancy in predicted charges vs. a real offer.

Apologies again.

remember, that quote you got, if doing for cash, would equate to about 50% of what a proper office would charge + VAT. And obviously we do not promote black market dealings here....

• Advertisement

I am in the process of doing up a planning application at the moment - my partner is doing up the plans himself ( he did tech drawing and consturction studies in college ). We are going to give it a shot with putting in the application ourselves but can anyone tell me if we are finding it difficult who would be the best people to approach to do up the application (the plans will be complete) and an estimate of how much this might cost - im in the Louth area.

Any good local Architectural Technician will quote you for the work.

While slightly off topic I would reccomend that if anyone agrees to a job (such as the op) for cash, (which of course they shouldn't ahem). then they should get the cash upfront!!! all of it!!! and inform the client they don't opperate a 24 hour 7 day service!!!:D

Advertisement