Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog run and kennel for Wippet and other

Options
  • 22-09-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is about to get a Wippet from the ISPA, I'm going to build a run and kennel for her and possibly a second dog to keep her company.

What height and size run should I be talking about? I've heard these Wippets can take off at any sign of rabbit etc, the location is in the country, the fence would need to be over 5ft I'd guess, anyone?

What about the kennel, I believe Wippets don't do the cold, is there a good solution for an outdoor kennel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can get heated kennels that are heated by elec. so would need a safe elec. outlet.

Not sure the ISPCA allow dogs to be homed if they are going to live outisde I could be wrong but with a short coated dog like a wippet not sure they will allow it.

Can the dog not live indoors at least at night perhaps.

There's also heat lamps you can get can be pricey on elec. and need to be hung safely and away from any rain or water drops.

Also panel radiators or oil filled rads that also need plugging in.

A kennel probably wouldn't keep a wippet warm they can be very draughty.

Lot of similar coated dogs like greyhounds are housed in greyhound boxes which are like a shed but smaller with a lower door.

Snuggle safe heats pads can keep a critter warm but usually go cold after a few hours. Vet bed is soft and holds in the heat it's good for indoor or outdoor use.

They can be houdinis with any dog I would put up minimum 5 foot fencing but 6 ideally just to be extra secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

thanks Guineapigrescue, I might house the wippet indoor at night, especially during the winter.
    I did hear about the lamps alright, maybe a small garden shed with a small heater would do for the outdoors, as I said I may get her a companion, a small lab cross maybe so the outdoors would be better I think.
    Definitely looks like some artificial heat arrangement would be needed for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Have you had your homecheck yet? Your homechecker should be able to answer any questions you have.

Personally I wouldn't leave a whippet outdoors and I'd be very surprised at the ISPCA homing one to an outdoor home. Not only do they have very short hair and suffer from the cold, they are desirable to certain members of the community and are at high risk of being stolen.

your spot on there, that's where the ISPCA suspect this poor criter originated from, they found him on the road close by to those monsters.

I didn't hear anything about a homecheck, looks like I'll go with the indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Fair play, you'll have a much happier little dog for it, last thing you want is for him to end up in that situation again.

• Advertisement

We picked her up on Friday, nice tempremant, a bit cautious but you'd expect that.
    She's been sleeping in the living room for the past few nights, she's doing ok but shocking smell off her, we gave her a good wash, has improved but she has gas too.
    Any ideas on a good diet for the wippet?

Good one last night, she started whining in the middle of the night and climbing on the kitchen chair, turns out she didn't like the light on, she was trying to turn it off, smart dog.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Aww god she sounds like a sweetie she probably has all sorts of cheeky habits you'll find out over time.
    I don't think whippets need a particular diet for their breed although there are ones on the market methinks but some are high energy..correct moi if I'm wrong. However I find that Burns dog food is excellent for any windy dogs, cuts down of the stinky farts almost instantly and poos are solid and don't honk as bad.

Advertisement