Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a tablet and Photoshop class ?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

One of my daughters (15 yrs old) is very interested in digital art and has asked about getting a decent Wacom tablet for her birthday in a few weeks.

I'm looking for recommendations for a suitable tablet (doesn't have to be Wacom brand) for a new-user who will be experimenting with digital tools like Photoshop for the first time. She's a Junior Cert art student and very keen , will probably follow it through to 3rd level.

She's interested in learning tools like Photoshop - more to experiment than anything formal at this stage - I'd like to give her a chance to take some appropriate classes in her spare time. Are there any classes either in the city center or the Dublin 15 area that you can recommend ? I appreciate there are lots of books, online and DVD courses available but I think she'd benefit from a class environment when starting out with these tools.

Advice, tips etc welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

go for a wacom, everything else is cack, they've patented the magnetised stylus, and are by far the best option. You don't have to go for the expensive intuos, check out some graphires or bamboo models.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

+1 for Wacom, nothing else comes close.

Be careful, she'll want one of these next:
    http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=90&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Thank you - much appreciate the tips.

Any suggestions on classes ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I found video podcasts excellent. Particuarily these ones.
    http://www.photoshopusertv.com/

I'm sure there are plenty of good classes you can attend but that's not how I like to learn software.

Lynda is also very popular training source.
    http://www.lynda.com/?gclid=CNLhzLS9hZ0CFVtn4wod_UiNUg

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Thank you. I'll ask her what her preference is.

[ The social aspect of getting out there is a little bit important - I'd like her to have the independence of going to something other than school on her own. So I might spring for a short set of courses to get her started. ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Auzirish

Wacom for sure. Only one worth getting...

i started learning the basics using the built-in tutorials 15 years ago... things have changed, the internet is an amazing tool!

Lynda tutorials are great, though if you want to get her out, it's not the best...

All that being said, if she wants to get into it, no matter where she learns the basics, she'll be spending hours geeking away in a room by herself as she discovers how awesome photoshop can be!

God luck.

Advertisement