Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTW best option?

• 22-09-2009 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Quick question.
    Off travelling in a few months. My trip involves the following.
    November 2009 – Fly into Santiago
    February 2010 – Fly into Sydney from Santiago
    June 2010 - Fly into South Africa (Go on ireland!) from Oz/Sydney
    August 2010 - Fly into Bangkok from South Africa
    October 2010 - Fly into Oz from Bangkok to work for a year
    October 2011 - ` Probably fly back to Dublin, no garuantee

Just wondering about whether it would be cheaper to get a around the world ticket for this trip. Origionally didnt give it much thought as i dont want to be tied down to any specific schedule. But mate told me that you can only fly to Oz via Santiago which i will be flying into anyway.
    What are the best sites/places for getting a RTW ticket? Do they have to be fully used within a year?
    Anyway any advice would be much appreciated,
    Dermot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

You will well exceed the 35,000 miles + 2000 extra you can pay for if that's your plan and yeah it's only a year on the RTW packages. You also can't backtrack. Once you fly east or west you can't go back the other way. I'm not sure if they even include Africa. So you may have to book them individually and you have some expensive routes there. The Santiago - Auckland - Sydney one is over a grand one way and is always busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Ok - from my experience and the experience of the other 40 backpackers that live in my share house ( you gotta love Melbourne ) i would book a one way.

I would book it all separatly, as i now have a ticket that expires in April that i have to move on fast, im only in Oz 3 months and i could have the option to stay for 12 but my ticket was so expensive that i will loose a fortune.

Unless there is no possible way you'll be staying in Oz the year - dont book a RTW.

As for tickets, they need to be used within the year. Your plan is not geographically correct either, you will not find an airline to class this as an RTW.
    (speaking as an travel agent)

I would do them as one way trips or i would do a RTW as follows
    South America - Australia - Bangkok - Dublin and dont use the Dublin sector -book a separate Air Asia back to Australia (cheap as chips sometimes)
    Then book a separate ticket Australia South Africa Australia

Again, all tickets must be completed within 12 months.

Bit messy eh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Wallko

Thanks for that.

Yeah was thinking the WTR ticket was a non-runner. Thanks for confirming it before i wasted ages researching. Pretty set on my route as im travelling with mates. Thanks again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Also, South America is absolutely massive. So flying into and out of Santiago you're going to waste time getting to where ever you want to go. Say, if you flew into Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo and made your way to Santiago you'd cut out some backtracking that would inevitably happen and you'd see more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

And you sure you wanna head to OZ for the winter months ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement