Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tear-jerkers.

Options
  • 22-09-2009 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭

I am just watching Home & Away at the moment (I know, I know!) and Belle is dying. I am crying my eyes out!

Also, this scene from The Notebook never fails to make me cry :

And from My Sister's Keeper :

Cried throughout that whole movie actually!

So what are your ultimate tear-jerker moments?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭xcarriex

That scene in Beaches when C.C.Bloom brings Whitney back to the beach for the last time and the wind beneath my wings kicks in always makes me winge like a baba, and towards the end of the song when victoria is sitting on the chair alone...

Welling up i am!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm not a crier but the one's that make me wanna are

(500) Days of Summer.
    The Notebook,
    Gallipolli
    Blood Diamond (I admit, I came close at that)
    Once Upon a time in America.
    The Green Mile.

Those are the ones that really do it for me. I feel terrible after watching them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Steel Magnolias always does it for me!! I actually sobbed at Dirty Dancing at the weekend, it was just so sad watching it knowing Patrick Swayze is dead you'd swear I knew him or something!! Oh and I always always always cry at the xfactor, without fail every week :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

When it comes to romantic movies: films where the protagonists are madly in love, but it seems they can't be together, tend to make me blub - Brief Encounter, Casablanca, Atonement, Brokeback Mountain, The End Of The Affair etc.

Oh yeah minidazzler - I watched Blood Diamond recently. The part with the child soldiers was horribly upsetting - I had to turn it off. And yep, Gallipolli - that's awfully sad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Jood wrote: »
    Oh and I always always always cry at the xfactor, without fail every week :o

Me too! This :

What a cutie and when he started to sing, I just welled up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

Marley and Me, when the little boy is saying goodbye to Marley and again when Owen Wilson is with him at the end and tells him he's a great dog..........I was bawling and I never cry at movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i cry at anything. only one that comes to mind from recently is my sisters keeper, but one thats guaranteed to make me cry is My Girl. every feckin time!

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I nearly had to get help after that film! Actual convulsions :D Sap :o

i watched about 3/4 of the film, then the dvd went funny, then the only way i could get back to the point i was at was to watch the whole thing again & i wasnt bothered cause i was finding it very boring :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Marley and me! I nearly had to get help after that film! Actual convulsions. Sap :o

sar84 wrote: »
    i cry at anything. only one that comes to mind from recently is my sisters keeper, but one thats guaranteed to make me cry is My Girl. every feckin time!

I think that's the first movie that ever made me cry.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I think that's the first movie that ever made me cry.

yeah its the first movie i ever remember crying to. there were boys at the party which mustve been unusual at the time cause i remember it being a big deal that there was boys there :p & then i go & start crying & 1 of the boys noticed & laughed at me & then everyone laughed at me :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Marley and me - can't believe I paid good money to get so upset
    Sophies Choice - when she has to make her 'choice' OMG
    Black Beauty - The end of this gets me everytime
    When Harry met Sally - again the ending
    Con Air - I know, I know - but when he hands that manky rabbit over to his daughter..

I'm pathetic!!!..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

sar84 wrote: »

When I was young that was my favourite movies, a bit heavy hitting for a kid, but so brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

The Lion King.

Every.Single.Time.

Im 22 now, but christ, every time Ive seen it, when Mufasa dies... and Simba doesnt understand...

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

most people havent seen it ... but Simon Birch will make you shed a tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

CoachBoone wrote: »
    The Lion King.

Every.Single.Time.

Im 22 now, but christ, every time Ive seen it, when Mufasa dies... and Simba doesnt understand...

Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXSMYQAfO8k

It kills me as well and I'm 24! :o

PCPhoto, the book on which that film Simon Birch is partially based, A Prayer For Owen Meaney (by John Irving) is extremely sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

I don't usually cry watching movies or televison..but I'll cry a lot if something bad happens/someone dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its a Wonderful Life
    Midnight Cowboy
    Cinema Paradiso
    The Bicycle Thief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭xcarriex

That scene in My Girl when Vada comes running in and Thomas J is in the coffin, i had this on a few weeks ago and i turned around and my lil bro was in tears bless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

shivvyban wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXSMYQAfO8k

It kills me as well and I'm 24! :o

Refusing to watch this.

Anyone ever watch Band of Brothers? The last episode of that had me in bits too but not a really sad sad, more a happy sad... if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

CoachBoone wrote: »
    Refusing to watch this.

Anyone ever watch Band of Brothers? The last episode of that had me in bits too but not a really sad sad, more a happy sad... if that makes sense.

Fantastic. Would love to watch it again.

I would add Galipole [sp?] to my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 nearly_there

Home and away makes me cry all the time!

And after i watched Marley and me i had to stay in the cinema for ages after so the red swollen face would go away and has SUCH a headache. Im such a sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Novella wrote: »
    I am just watching Home & Away at the moment (I know, I know!) and Belle is dying. I am crying my eyes out!

I definitely wont be watching Home and Away tonight or tomorrow night, I know il cry and be depressed over it for hours afterwards. I know shes dies so I dont need to know anymore.
    Also warning, the funeral is on tomorrow which will be really sad also :(
    I love Home and Away but just hate watching characters die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It's funny, I can usually sit through all the real tear-jerker films - Titanic, Ghost, The Notebook, Marley and Me, even My Sisters Keeper ... without actually crying. Although my eyes do occasionally get just the leeeettlest bit damp!

But then sometimes I'll be randomly sitting watching TV, and something vaguely unhappy or emotional happens on Friends or Xfactor or whatever - and it'll totally set me off! Once I cried during Shrek when Donkey rejected the dragon - the shame!

Weirdly enough, this only tends to happy at a certain time of the month ... hmm ... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

K, this is a bit weird but, when I was a kid, I always cried at the end of A League Of Their Own. I cried cos I always thought Geena Davis was gorgeous and at the end of the movie, it's like 20 years later and they're all old women remembering the good old days. I cried because 20 years later, all the pretty girls weren't pretty anymore. Time had just eaten away and now they were just gross and old..... I was a strange kid. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I definitely wont be watching Home and Away tonight or tomorrow night, I know il cry and be depressed over it for hours afterwards. I know shes dies so I dont need to know anymore.
    Also warning, the funeral is on tomorrow which will be really sad also :(
    I love Home and Away but just hate watching characters die

Oh, her and Aidan look at pictures of the two of them together, bah, I was a mess, almost cried for the whole episode! I definitely advise staying away!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

''out of Africa'' with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford at the end when she's talking about her life without him and the lions are lying on his grave! So sad!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Gallipolli

That's my favourite film, cry every time!
    I think the Notebook is a universal answer, I don't know how anyone could keep dry eyes during it. They were so in love!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Twee. wrote: »
    I think the Notebook is a universal answer, I don't know how anyone could keep dry eyes during it. They were so in love!!

I didn't cry. I thought the Notebook was the biggest pile of poo I've ever seen and I'm a romantic sap. I really don't get so many women's fascination with that film at all.

• Advertisement

Yeah, my friend insisted I watch The Notebook, saying she knows I'm not into soppy movies/chick flix but she isn't either, and it still affected her profoundly.
    Meh, it's all right. There are certainly zillions of far worse romantic movies, but no, I'd say the romantic movie that affects me most is actually Brokeback Mountain. I was so gutted by the ending...

My favourite part of The Notebook is the sex scene - the guy is fairly smokin' in it, to be fair.

Advertisement