Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tear-jerkers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Dudess wrote: »
    My favourite part of The Notebook is the sex scene - the guy is fairly smokin' in it, to be fair.

Oh, yes, he is :) Great sex scene it is!

"Well that's what we do, we fight... You tell me when I am being an arrogant son of a bitch and I tell you when you are a pain in the ass. Which you are, 99% of the time. I'm not afraid to hurt your feelings. You have like a 2 second rebound rate, then you're back doing the next pain-in-the-ass thing. ". Another one of my favourites! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I cried after Alexander: the b**tards wouldn't give me my money back. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

'The Notebook'; I have only seen it twice and never watched the last few scenes after the first time...made to cry buckets!

'My Girl'...now that was my first tear-jerker movie and I still get a bit bleary eyed!

Anything on 'XFactor' where the person is an underdog and the crowd go wild, why me! Brought on by PMS but really anytime!

I actually cried watching 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' which is my favourite movie. It struck a cord in me watching it in the cinema with my boyfriend to be...

Forrest Gump too..Mine are quite cliched but sometimes I cry at odd love stories...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its a Wonderful Life
    Midnight Cowboy
    Cinema Paradiso
    The Bicycle Thief
    God yea, especially the Bicycle Thief. I'd add once upon a time in america too.

Kes is a heartbreaker, when this child finds his only outlet, his only friend his hawk dead at the hands of his brother IIRC in the bin. I wouldn't be right after that one. If you're dry eyed after that, you're clinically dead. they could use it in medicine to establish death.

The elephant man is another one for me. The bit at the end where he dies, because he wanted to sleep like an ordinary child with his head on the pillow and he suffocates. Jesus the tears go horizontal on that one. Tarka the otter was another one that got me as a kid.

Telly stuff rarely enough, though a wierd one for me was watching an episode of Dr Who where his girly companion(billie piper) was trapped on another world and he had to leave her behind. She breaks down not just because he's leaving, but that he would be alone. Then she admits she loves him, but just before he admits the same the connection is dropped and it cuts to him with tears running down his face. I wasn't far behind him :o Though I'd be fairly miffed to leave ms piper myself:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh Jesus... Kes and The Elephant Man - no way can I watch them again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

My friend showed me this clip,and it always makes me cry;
    It's the true story of a lion cub named Christian,that was raised as a cub by 2 people,but had to be released into the wild in Africa when he got older.
    They went to find him,but were told that it would be too dangerous,and that he wouldn't remember them. This is their reunion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGKWoJi5qM

Here's another clip from the actual programme(minus Whitney:)).

In this you actually get to see them meeting his family!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3J1a5BYws

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

One word... Titanic! I know it's cheesy but oh my god, it just breaks my heart. I'm another for the notebook too.. "It wasn't over... It still isn't over!!.." Sob! Also, the last episode of Sex and the City gets me over and over again: when smith flies back, when charlotte gets her baby, when big turns up in paris, but mostly when she comes back to ny and they all scream and the song kicks in... amazing.! Also, Remember the Titans.. made a right egit out of myself watching that one with my boyf and his friends!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Kimmy-XxX wrote: »
    One word... Titanic! I know it's cheesy but oh my god, it just breaks my heart. I'm another for the notebook too.. "It wasn't over... It still isn't over!!.." Sob! Also, the last episode of Sex and the City gets me over and over again: when smith flies back, when charlotte gets her baby, when big turns up in paris, but mostly when she comes back to ny and they all scream and the song kicks in... amazing.! Also, Remember the Titans.. made a right egit out of myself watching that one with my boyf and his friends!:rolleyes:

Remember the Titans is fantastic, and I guarantee you they had moist eyes themselves, I never cry, but I do tear up a bit at movies. Especially if their true:D

Titanic and SATC Suck though I love Leonardo di Caprio and Kate Winslet, that is not a good film, IMO.

Romeo and Juliet, the Claire Danes and Leonardo di Caprio version gets me bad!!! Such a tragic film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Belle's death in H&A was very sad i had tears

I also got teary eyed at

The Champ
    Titanic
    The Notebook
    A Walk To Remember
    Sommersby
    My Girl
    Armaggeddon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Truly Madly Deeply.
    Terms of Endearment. Good grief, and I'm not even a cryer, but that film had me in bits.
    Red. Wonderful upsetting film.
    Dangerous Liaisons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My friend showed me this clip,and it always makes me cry;
    It's the true story of a lion cub named Christian,that was raised as a cub by 2 people,but had to be released into the wild in Africa when he got older.
    They went to find him,but were told that it would be too dangerous,and that he wouldn't remember them. This is their reunion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGKWoJi5qM

Here's another clip from the actual programme(minus Whitney:)).

In this you actually get to see them meeting his family!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3J1a5BYws

:)
    Ah jesus you got me.:D I saw similar with an old widowed french guy who had raised an orphaned wolf and relaesed him and 5 years later as alpha male of the pack he saw the old guy and went crazy licking him all over.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Dangerous Liaisons.
    Oh yeah, the end of Cruel Intentions (a modern take on Dangerous Liaisons) is quite moving.

You mentioned Terms of Endearment - there seemed to be a significant number of family-themed tear-jerker movies like that cleaning up at the Oscars in the early 80s, e.g. Kramer vs Kramer, On Golden Pond... and seriously sad - Ordinary People.

Titanic always makes me bawl, I haven't seen the notebook yet so must give it a look.
    Other films that make me cry:

Meet Joe Black

Ghost

The Green Mile

The Pianist and Schindler's List

The Land before Time (when Littlefoot's mum dies)

Armageddon

ET

Cruel Intentions(the end)

Stepmom

I'm sure there's loads more that I can't think of.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ah jesus you got me.:D I saw similar with an old widowed french guy who had raised an orphaned wolf and relaesed him and 5 years later as alpha male of the pack he saw the old guy and went crazy licking him all over.
    I think it's amazing the amount of love and loyalty animals can have for humans.
    I think this clip makes me cry,because someone very close to me had their dog stolen a few years ago, and I really believe that if he was ever found again,that the reception would be similar.
    Think it's a heartwarming clip,

I will have a look out for the one about the wolf. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cast Away and The Beach.

Reign Over Me, that had me near convulsions!!! Such an amazing film:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The Iron Giant.

Iron Giant: 'Superman....'

Me: 'BWOOOOHOOOHOOOhooo*sniffle*hooohoo*schnork*hoohoo'

Band of Brothers last episode as well :/

Also, Platoon.

And Life is Beautiful.

And a chinese movie called Shower.

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Didn't think about songs that made me cry, but these songs are guaranteed to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgcoBKWTW14 Annie Lennox INTO THE WEST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgYRBFtQCoc Celion Dion FLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTxnqUhhlIY Celion Dion- BECAUSE YOU LOVED ME.

Oh yeah,these films too:

Braveheart

Gladiator.

Just realised I cry at too many things. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Shawshank Redemption
    Green Mile
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
    Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    Cinema Paradiso
    Kramer Vs Kramer
    Lorenzos Oil
    The Lion King
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Office Christmas Special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Charlie Chaplin's The Kid
    Million Dollar Baby
    The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner

Im surprised none of the men have mentioned In The Realm of The Senses.

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    Platoon
    'Nam movies are extremely upsetting - I will never watch The Deer Hunter again. I can watch Born On The Fourth of July though, but it's still very tough-going.
    I was watching Hotel Rwanda with a bunch of people so I had to keep it together - had I been on my own though, I'd have been in an awful state.

The end of The Killing Fields when Imagine kicks in... :(

And Schindler's List or The Pianist - again, tried but had to switch them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

'Nam movies are extremely upsetting - I will never watch The Deer Hunter again. I can watch Born On The Fourth of July though, but it's still very tough-going.
    I was watching Hotel Rwanda with a bunch of people so I had to keep it together - had I been on my own though, I'd have been in an awful state.

The end of The Killing Fields when Imagine kicks in... :(

And Schindler's List or The Pianist - again, tried but had to switch them off.

I feel that way about WW1 movies.

One film which I found particularly upsetting and depressing is a documentary called Fourteen Days in May: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Days_in_May

I've never been in favour of the death penalty, but any leanings I had in the pro death penalty direction were wiped by that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
    When he is fading away and dying at the end of his life, but he is a child. And especially when he looks up and dies, as a baby.

I had to wait behind in the cinema to "tie my laces" when the lights came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Having read a few of the replies here, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm even human... I don't know what it is, but I just can't cry. It doesn't matter if its something thats on TV or its a real life event, I just cant do it.

If its a film I poke at its believability, if its a real-life event I seem to rationalize it. But crying watching Home & Away Novella :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Abigayle wrote: »
    Having read a few of the replies here, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm even human... I don't know what it is, but I just can't cry. It doesn't matter if its something thats on TV or its a real life event, I just cant do it.

Shame on you.

v01812lqiik.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

stovelid wrote: »
    Shame on you.

v01812lqiik.jpg
    :D

I do like her boots :pac:

Is it really that bad though?! I was afraid to mention it, because a lot of women have been very honest about the films that upset them, and I think its great they shared. But I've thought about it, and know its not that I'm ashamed to cry in front of anybody. I've watched some of the films mentioned on my own, and I just get thick with it and switch over :confused:

And Schindler's List
    Oh god yes. The part where they give him the ring made out of gold fillings and the like and he breaks down over how many he could have saved but didn't.

Ab, you don't have to be a crier to be sensitive to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I never used cry during movies, I always just took them lightly and they never really effected me that much...but recently, I dunno what it is, I'm becoming more emotional or something and even trailers to movies that arent sad make me cry! No idea what's wrong with me. And I'll usually only cry if I'm by myself wathcing something.
    Also....I tend to cry more if an animal dies in a movie...:p

And I felt NO emotion at all during The Notebook.

Of course my mind has gone black now....but:

The episode of Skins, when Chris dies...:(
    Black Beauty
    Marley and Me!! Jesus....I was spurting the tears during that one.
    The Lion King
    Homeward Bound
    Moulin Rouge
    Bambi
    Gladiator

Advertisement