Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tear-jerkers.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Abigayle wrote: »
    I do like her boots :pac:

Is it really that bad though?! I was afraid to mention it, because a lot of women have been very honest about the films that upset them, and I think its great they shared. But I've thought about it, and know its not that I'm ashamed to cry in front of anybody. I've watched some of the films mentioned on my own, and I just get thick with it and switch over :confused:

A penchant for boots.

Lack of emotion.

A subjugated earthling in your sig.

Conclusion :)

Seriously though, I think some otherwise sensitive people just don't tear up at films, including people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Jees, I never used to be a crybaby but now I seriously am. I mean I watched The Notebook and I was like "where's the part where I'm apparantly supposed to cry?" as all my friends were saying "oh you'll need the Kleenex for The Notebook". Then it was over and I was like "where was the sad bit".

As for now? I have emotions now lol. I bawled at Gran Torino, I didn't cry at Marley and Me the movie but I did fight back tears. HOWEVER. When I read the book, it was while I was on holiday - I was reading it on the beach and had to put it away as it was coming towards the end and I was getting upset. I managed to pick up the book and read it and I was just a blubbering mess on the beach, it was so embarrassing. The book is just so much more overwhelming than the movie, it really gets to you - the film on the other hand didn't focus on Marley that much.

As for today when I was watching Home & Away, oh god Belle dying, it was so sad - I also bawled when Aden found out that Belle had cancer.

And I was devastated at the end of 7 Pounds with Will Smith, I was a blubbering mess, my bf was like are you ok! I was so upset. Maybe I'm just more emotional now than I was a few years ago or something :)

Oh I almost forgot - I just about managed not to cry at the cinema (it was really hard though) when I went to see Sex and the City - the part where Carrie goes back to the empty apartment at the end to get her blue Manolos and Big is just there waiting for her, omg it was so emotional! I was trying so hard not to blub during that bit. Tiz my fav part in the whole film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Dudess wrote: »
    Ab, you don't have to be a crier to be sensitive to others.

I know what you mean, but its not that I'm completely insensitive :o And its certainly not a 'hard woman' thing. I guess I just can't relate to something I'm watching on TV / film. I tend to over-analyze everything.

Now, family and friends are another thing. I know its real, and you can't switch it off. If I see someone is upset, at a funeral for example - I'm glued to them and talk them through and rationalize everything with them. I hate seeing people upset. Its like they've been turned completely inside out, all of these raw feelings and inability to hide them. Of course, nor should they. Its one of the few times you can see people (sad as the event is) with their guard down. It isn't what you normally see in them. and that in itself, is very unsettling to me, and almost a distraction from what is really going on.

I just think I see things through 'different eyes', if that makes any sense :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I cannot watch the xmas special of The Royle Family where she has the baby without crying. The bit where she's upstairs and her water has broken...and she looks so very scared...and Pie Jesu is playing...it's a weird one, but I can't get through it without leaking.

I'm not a chickflick gal, but I bawled my eyes out reading Marley and Me, so the film was just the extended version, with extra mucus :pac:

Also, I saw Kramer Vs Kramer on Sunday for the first time, and it made me hate that Meyrl Streep even more, upsetting poor adoreable Dustin Hoffman like that. If I could keep him in my pocket I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

sophies choice
    the notebook
    the lion king
    my girl
    a walk to remember
    the green mile
    Gost
    Simon Birch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I just have to listen to Songbird by Eva Cassidy and the tears they are a flowin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Quality wrote: »
    I just have to listen to Songbird by Eva Cassidy and the tears they are a flowin!!

Oh I know, when I was younger I always wanted this to be my wedding song, but the thing is I couldn't coz I'd just start crying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The one time I cried in the last 3 years was watching this episode of Scrubs!!! I didn't cry when my uncle died, but I cried when Ben died. It kills me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Apologies for making everyone here break down into tears, but...

8c7589d4391ecccc7ed1955512d929d7.gif

Seymour :(

You horrible horrible man!!!! I am actually tearing a little, it took me a long time to suppress that episode, it' s so good. I hate you.

• Advertisement

You horrible horrible man!!!! I am actually tearing a little, it took me a long time to suppress that episode, it' s so good. I hate you.

I'm not horrible! The title of the thread was Tear-jerkers, so I posted a tear jerker. God knows, I was honestly sobbing like a baby myself, it's heartbreaking stuff.

The most heartbreaking film I've ever seen was Grave of the Fireflies. It's an absolute masterpiece, but even thinking about it has me welling up a bit, it's incredibly tragic and harrowing. Everybody here should watch it.

Bugger it, the trailer alone made me cry. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

That also made me cry buckets...I dont like watching tearjerkers, anything with illnesses is a no-no but happy love stories are fine, as someone else posted - the end of When Harry Met Sally is one of my favorites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Wibbs wrote: »
    The elephant man is another one for me. The bit at the end where he dies, because he wanted to sleep like an ordinary child with his head on the pillow and he suffocates. Jesus the tears go horizontal on that one. Tarka the otter was another one that got me as a kid.

Telly stuff rarely enough, though a wierd one for me was watching an episode of Dr Who where his girly companion(billie piper) was trapped on another world and he had to leave her behind. She breaks down not just because he's leaving, but that he would be alone. Then she admits she loves him, but just before he admits the same the connection is dropped and it cuts to him with tears running down his face. I wasn't far behind him :o Though I'd be fairly miffed to leave ms piper myself:D

The Elephant Man.. tragic.. and that episode of Dr Who.. I was watching it with the kids and my head was pounding trying to keep back the tears - I couldn't believe that he had left her and that he didn't get to tell her that he loved her.. boo!!.. but excellent episode!

I also want to add 'She's having a baby'.. when Kevin Bacon's wife is in the hospital and he is left in the waiting room and 'this woman's work' is blasting out by Kate Bush - Jesus.. its sooo tragic!!!.. gets me everytime...

I am also surprised that no one has mentioned The Boy in the Stripped Pyjama's.. very sad..

trustno1 wrote: »
    I am also surprised that no one has mentioned The Boy in the Stripped Pyjama's.. very sad..

Seriously? I thought that was one of the most contrived films I've ever seen, it tried so very hard to push all the right buttons, but just felt so manipulative and utterly false. And I'm not talking about the accents that made it seem false, I can suspend my disbelief for that, it's the whole setup that was just such a forced morality tale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

As a kid it would be what you would expect. The Lion King, Terminator 2 (ending), Homeward Bound, and NUMEROUS episodes from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Becoming Part 2, The Body, The Gift, and the one where Oz left are just some that had me near bawling.

Nowadays I'm a bit harder and only seeing injustices from the man's point of view really make me tear up. Gladiator, Gran Torino and ........
    Dudess wrote: »
    I'd say the romantic movie that affects me most is actually Brokeback Mountain. I was so gutted by the ending...

I have never lived that down. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Towards the end I couldnt even see the screen because of the flood in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

The last scene in Homeward Bound when they come over the hill, my god! And now that I know what's coming I start crying IN ADVANCE!

Also
    The Lion King
    Moulin Rouge
    The Office Christmas Special
    Life is Beautiful I actually started crying in the car on the way home from the cinema!
    Brokeback mountain - uncontrollable mucus
    The scene in A Knight's Tale when he goes back to his blind dad
    Most recent one was probably Marley and Me, despite Owen Wilson's USELESS acting during the serious bits!
    And yes, the notebook!

There are many many many more, I'm quite a crier...will think on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Every single episode of Grey's Anatomy. And also A Walk To Remember, I cry every time even though I know what's going to happen! The Notebook is a tear-jerker too, the first time I saw it I didn't cry though, I guess I wasn't in the right mood for it. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Seriously? I thought that was one of the most contrived films I've ever seen, it tried so very hard to push all the right buttons, but just felt so manipulative and utterly false. And I'm not talking about the accents that made it seem false, I can suspend my disbelief for that, it's the whole setup that was just such a forced morality tale.

I disagree.. I thought it was well done and as I hadn't read the book (at that stage) I did not see the ending coming and was taken aback. As a children's film I thought it handled the subject matter really well and I enjoyed taking my children to it and being able to talk to them about it after. My daughter had watched Schindlers List - but I think it was too big a film for her so The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas was more suitable for her to watch.

Born Free when I was a young girl - have not seen it in years though.

• Advertisement

I'm not horrible! The title of the thread was Tear-jerkers, so I posted a tear jerker. God knows, I was honestly sobbing like a baby myself, it's heartbreaking stuff.

I know that, It just killed me:(

There is something about loyal dogs that gets everyone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I hate your soul right now :(

I'm 10 weeks pregnant - and thinking about that clip has had me on off in tears all day (not blaming you - should not have read tearjerkers).

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Love Actually *always* makes me cry-mostly the intro, with everyone at the airports, such genuine emotion always makes me cry..... also the bit where the wife (Emma Thompson?) realises the hubby's cheating on her, and goes upstairs and just breaks down completely, before having to put on the "everythings fine" face and fixing the bed. Been in a slightly similar situation, and she just portrays it perfectly!

Also, the final 10 min. of Six Feet Under with "Breathe Me" playing....always makes me cry like a baby, beautiful ending to a wonderful show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwARV9tPUw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭emma82

The part in SATC where Carrie jumps outta the car and Charlotte runs after her, Big tries to say something & Charlotte shouts No, No!!! Has me in bits every time. The roses all over the road...

When Nanna dies in The Royle Family- absolutely breaks my heart- every time!

Vera dying in Corrie- so well done- sob city that night in my house

Pretty woman where shes leaving at the end and he says 'stay with me tonight not cos im paying you because you want to' and she says i cant!!

Ghost- jees this thinking on all thse films is not good for me!!!

Forest Gump, Green Mile, Gran Torino, Top Gun, My Girl, Titanic, when Len died in Emmerdale- and the list goes on.................

Am not allowed to watch My sisters keeper- think its for the best really!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

trustno1 wrote: »
    The Elephant Man.. tragic.. and that episode of Dr Who.. I was watching it with the kids and my head was pounding trying to keep back the tears - I couldn't believe that he had left her and that he didn't get to tell her that he loved her.. boo!!.. but excellent episode!
    Yep didnt expect that reaction myself at all. Not considering "my" Dr Who was Tom Baker:D AFAIR The bit that got me was when she blubbed about him being on his own without her. Then again I was madly in love at the time and was watching it with the object of same. I tend to babble a lot, I'm a know it all, I was a fair bit older than her and she was younger, blonde and foreign so I suppose I was projecting!*:D
    The most heartbreaking film I've ever seen was Grave of the Fireflies. It's an absolute masterpiece, but even thinking about it has me welling up a bit, it's incredibly tragic and harrowing. Everybody here should watch it.
    +1000

*anyone suggesting I was also projecting with the elephant man earns a ban :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There is something about loyal dogs that gets everyone down.
    Poor Greyfriars Bobby... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭lly

Hi

Had to add to this thread.... Some great movies to add to my list to watch :D

I agree that 'The Notebook' is one of the saddest movies ever.

Also though my favourite all time weepie is 'An affair to remember' the ending makes my cry every time.
    Also I love ' The bridges of madison county'

And more recently 'The Time Travellers Wife' - very very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

itac wrote: »
    Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Love Actually *always* makes me cry-mostly the intro, with everyone at the airports, such genuine emotion always makes me cry..... also the bit where the wife (Emma Thompson?) realises the hubby's cheating on her, and goes upstairs and just breaks down completely, before having to put on the "everythings fine" face and fixing the bed. Been in a slightly similar situation, and she just portrays it perfectly!

That film makes me bawl everytime. Especially the scene with Emma Thompson crying in the bedroom.

I bawl at Band of Brothers any time I watch it. I cried at half of Battlestar Galactica too. The Green Mile is heartbreaking to watch as was The Pianist. Just about any musical will have me in floods at some point.

I cry reading Harry Potter, I cried watching High School Musical 3 to my shame. Any sort of relationshippy stuff just gets me.

Terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I don't understand how so many people have cried at the Notebook - it just didn't do it for me.

I admit I cried today at Home and Away - and I tend to cry a lot at Grey's Anatomy too - I was inconsolable when Denny died.

As for films, I bawled and sobbed when I first saw Titanic - I was only 17 though. I wouldn't even watch it now without grimacing.

I cried a lot when I read My Sister's Keeper - haven't seen the film yet - nobody would go with me because they didn't want to cry in public!

All of my friends cried at P.S. I love you - again didn't see the attraction with that film/book either.

Advertisement