Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tear-jerkers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Champ - where the little boy says "come back to me Champ"

Brokeback Mountain - where he is goes to visit the parents and finds the shirt hanging in the wardrobe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I hate your soul right now :(

frywait.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

cAr0l wrote: »
    I admit I cried today at Home and Away - and I tend to cry a lot at Grey's Anatomy too - I was inconsolable when Denny died.

Oh, me too! That episode had me in bits! When Alex had to pick Izzie up and carry her outta the room, oh god! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

cAr0l wrote: »
    I admit I cried today at Home and Away - and I tend to cry a lot at Grey's Anatomy too - I was inconsolable when Denny died.
    Novella wrote: »
    Oh, me too! That episode had me in bits! When Alex had to pick Izzie up and carry her outta the room, oh god! :(

Yeah that episode was heartbreaking! And it was repeated at least once a week on either Living or RTE, cried every time. Grey's Anatomy is always so sad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

anewme wrote: »
    Brokeback Mountain - where he is goes to visit the parents and finds the shirt hanging in the wardrobe
    I wasn't especially saddened, just left cold, until the very last scene tacked on unexpectedly - when he's in his trailer. Oh man... it's like a kick in the stomach. :(
    frywait.jpg
    Oh now just stop it - monster! You're on a par with Walt Disney for Bambi. :mad:

Seriously though, I haven't seen that Futurama, or Grave of the Fireflies. The latter looks very good, if extremely tough-going - don't know if I could watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Don't do much crying at movies - cried more at the book of the Green Mile than at the film. I just don't go to the cinema to watch upsetting films.

I will, however, occasionally challenge myself with a documentary on something tough. Last one was "The Falling Man", a documentary about the people who jumped from the World Trade Centre buildings on September 11th, 2001. I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in examining how they think about that day. You can find it on YouTube, it's about 75 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Agree re Falling Man, watched it just after Sept. 11th when it was first made and then it was repeated last week on tv, watched it again.

Tough to watch, but quite inspiring

Don't do much crying at movies - cried more at the book of the Green Mile than at the film. I just don't go to the cinema to watch upsetting films.
    Nineteen Eighty Four and The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas the films - both had me welling up, whereas neither of the books had that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I shed manly tears at the end of Band of Brothers, it was a mixture of sadness for the series ending and seeing the interviews with the real guys , especially Capt. Winter's line "My grandson asked me if I was a hero in the war, I said no...but I fought in the company of heroes"

Also welled up a fair bit when Lee Adama leaves the fleet in Battlestar Galactica :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flt3B3QWmOo

I defy anyone to watch this and not feel like crap, from the Why We Fight episode of BoB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAr_AjZt-E

Also this from the Extras Christmas Special, amazing acting from Gervais here, when his voice cracks apologising gets me every time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

krudler wrote: »
    I shed manly tears at the end of Band of Brothers, it was a mixture of sadness for the series ending and seeing the interviews with the real guys , especially Capt. Winter's line "My grandson asked me if I was a hero in the war, I said no...but I fought in the company of heroes"
    krudler wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Flt3B3QWmOo

I defy anyone to watch this and not feel like crap, from the Why We Fight episode of BoB

Agree. Both parts had me on the verge.

Music has an awful lot to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

ok where to start,

The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, The Horsewhisperer, Romeo & Juliet, Love Actually, Lorenzo's Oil - cant believe Chinafoot was the only person to mention this, The Last Samuari, Braveheart, The Passion, The Mission - christ when i hear that piece of music, the Green Mile, Ghost, Gladiator, Mr Hollands Opus, The Colour Purple, Philadelphia, Four Weddings and a Funeral - the Funeral, and then i was at my bosses mothers funeral, and i have never seen my boss upset always strong and steadfast and he got up and read that poem and he didn't falter... i cried for him that day, Stand By Me... the list just keeps going.... i am a sucker for crying, please no one drop a hat!

I refuse to watch King Kong, Old Yeller, Lassie or any movie that involves a animal dying or being lost or something, and Karl you are going to hell, i started crying looking at Seymour. I did watch Marley and Me and the scene when he takes him for a walk and tells him if he needs to go, i swear to go im typing and im crying, i see it nearly everyday.. people saying good by to their pets and telling them how great they have been and how good they are and how much they are going to miss them... ah **** it!

Dudess wrote: »
    Seriously though, I haven't seen that Futurama, or Grave of the Fireflies. The latter looks very good, if extremely tough-going - don't know if I could watch it.

I would really, really recommend watching Grave of the Fireflies. That goes for everyone here, if you've not seen it, see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I would really, really recommend watching Grave of the Fireflies. That goes for everyone here, if you've not seen it, see it.

Just ordered Grave of the Firefiles, thanks for the recommendation!.. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh now just stop it - monster! You're on a par with Walt Disney for Bambi. :mad:
    I forgot about Bambi. An amazing film. "man has entered the forest" line chills me every time. The themes it explores and how it does that. Unreal for a childrens movie.
    Jules wrote:
    i swear to go im typing and im crying, i see it nearly everyday.. people saying good by to their pets and telling them how great they have been and how good they are and how much they are going to miss them... ah **** it!
    I really don't know how Vets and the like can get through that. I've actually seen vets and vet nurses well up in those situations. I've known doctors who do the same (though not in front of patients). Forget all the training and hard work in those fields which is considerable, it's the ability to do a job and do it well with that amount of emotional stress at times I admire the most. I'd be in a rubber room inside a week.

Hamlet can get me too. The sheer bloody undiluted genius of it. The alas poor Yorick scene is just one part. It starts off humourous with the grave digger takin the píss out of and with Hamlet and then the reality of the skull of the man he knew and now he holds in his hands kicks in. The sadness, the futility, the anger, the philosophy all thrown in to a short speech.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Animal Farm - when boxer is being carted off to the knackers yard to be slaughtered and all the animals are running after him and he can't kick his way out of the horse box

Dumbo - when Dumbo's mother cradles Dumbo in her trunk when she is locked up

sad, sad, sad....

trustno1 wrote: »
    Just ordered Grave of the Firefiles, thanks for the recommendation!.. ;)

I hope you enjoy it. Just don't watch it dubbed, the performance of the young girl in the original Japanese language version is part of what makes it so touching, but the English dub sounds horrible and really takes away from the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Jules wrote: »

I refuse to watch King Kong, Old Yeller, Lassie or any movie that involves a animal dying or being lost or something, and Karl you are going to hell, i started crying looking at Seymour. I did watch Marley and Me and the scene when he takes him for a walk and tells him if he needs to go, i swear to go im typing and im crying, i see it nearly everyday.. people saying good by to their pets and telling them how great they have been and how good they are and how much they are going to miss them... ah **** it!

+1 I have a few Marley and Me episodes in work every week and I cry every single time. Don't think I'll ever get used to it. Especially with older people whose pets are their lives. It's awful :(

This thread is depressing, I hate you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I have to say, although I'm an emotional person, I couldn't consider myself as 'outwardly emotional'. I am not big on massive public displays of emotion - for some reason they embarass me. Therefore, I usually try to remain 'dry-eyed' at the cinema - I don't always succeed!

Also, some very obvious 'weepy' films, might not 'get me' when I first watch them, it may take a second watch for me to cry.

Having said that though, the most unlikely thing could do it too. I could just be sitting watching the television some evening, and something would really get me in the heart. It's very odd and can be embarassing, if not one else is moved by it

Oh I never get teary or emotional in public either - everything has to be treated as a big laugh. :o
    My friend went through a pack of fags waiting outside the cinema for me after Brokeback Mountain. :)
    I think it's probably something to do with not wanting to be seen as an irrational, hysterical, melodramatic woman - but in actual fact, I have fairly easily stimulated tear glands (not a measure of emotion in and of itself, but possibly a measure of sensitivity). I particularly hate getting upset in front of my family. If we're all at home we make a point of watching Reeling In The Years (if it's on - which it usually is) together so we can bask in the shared nostalgia. There's nearly always something horribly upsetting on it - very embarrassing.
    Animal Farm - when boxer is being carted off to the knackers yard to be slaughtered and all the animals are running after him and he can't kick his way out of the horse box

Dumbo - when Dumbo's mother cradles Dumbo in her trunk when she is locked up
    Forgot about those... :(

Those old weepies can pack a punch too - anyone see Imitation of Life (starring Lana Turner - I'm guessing the undisputed queen of the tear-jerker)? Jeez, one of the saddest films I've ever seen... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Another vote for The Champ - gets me every time.

Also Little house on the prarie. Most episodes. Very weepy when Mary lost her sight.

[/QUOTE] Those old weepies can pack a punch too - anyone see Imitation of Life (starring Lana Turner - I'm guessing the undisputed queen of the tear-jerker)? Jeez, one of the saddest films I've ever seen... [/QUOTE]
    Is that the one where the daughter of a black maid tries to trade herself off as being white?.. if it is.. that scene at the end.. in the rain... walking behind the hearse... jasus!!!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

The Secret Millionaire programme is another one. I cry every time. Usually happy tears though :)

Is that the one where the daughter of a black maid tries to trade herself off as being white?.. if it is.. that scene at the end.. in the rain... walking behind the hearse... jasus!!!..
    The very one. It's fuppin' sadmasochistic! :(

If you're a certain age, this'll put a lump in your throat:

If you're a certain age, this'll put a lump in your throat:

That game is heartbreaking in places, a close second is losing Agro in Shadow of the Colossus, I had something in my eye playing that part of the game:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

In the first few minutes of Saving Private Ryan ....the scene where the Mother goes to her front porch to recieve the bad news re her Sons...so realtstic, cried my eyes out. Tom Cruise in 4th of July, he has a big fight with his Mother , again so realistic , Tom became an actor in that movie. And he is still soooo gorgeous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

"Man on the Moon" :( "Philadelphia".

Oh Jesus, the very last bit of Philadelphia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Oh Jesus, the very last bit of Philadelphia!

:(:(:(

Advertisement