Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tear-jerkers.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

The Love song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S Eliot makes me cry every time.
    Saddest poem every written!
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The Love song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S Eliot makes me cry every time.
    Saddest poem every written!
    :(

That and that Auden poem Stop All The Clocks Cut Off the Telephone and also that moment in Philadelphia Here I Come where Gar is on the boat with his father and his father puts his coat over him. It's a moment of tenderness that througout the play is unspeakable in this taut and tragic father/son relationship. It somehow, for me, demonstrates everything pitiable in Irish masculinity, even more amplified in the context of departure within the play, and the context of wider mass hemoraging that was Irish emigration. Breaks my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Beaches

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭HAPPYGIRL

That and that Auden poem Stop All The Clocks Cut Off the Telephone and also that moment in Philadelphia Here I Come where Gar is on the boat with his father and his father puts his coat over him. It's a moment of tenderness that througout the play is unspeakable in this taut and tragic father/son relationship. It somehow, for me, demonstrates everything pitiable in Irish masculinity, even more amplified in the context of departure within the play, and the context of wider mass hemoraging that was Irish emigration. Breaks my heart.

Totally agree that Auden poem breaks my heart.

Funeral Blues

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
    Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
    Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
    Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
    Scribbling on the sky the message He is Dead.
    Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
    Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and my Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.

W.H. Auden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 GlitterFairy

That W.H. Auden poem is beautiful.

This thread could be made for me! Here goes...

Steel Magnolias - I'm welling up just thinking about it
    The Notebook - oh the tears
    Cold Mountain - when he gets shot ahhh!
    A Brief Encounter - a love that can never be, the heartache
    Legends of the Fall - Brad Pitt plus tears = heaven!
    My Girl - poor Thomas J *tear tear*
    Finding Neverland - I was still crying on the way home from the cinema
    Beaches - Oh lord!..

Numerous episodes of Ghost Whisperer
    Most episodes of ER
    All episodes of Grey's Anatomy - it's almost a ritual at this stage
    Old Skool Home and Away - I don't watch it much these days, but at one time I would cry my eyes out to it!...remember Meg and Blake...oh my god, pass the hankie...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Graceabeth

The house of sand and fog, i'm in bits everytime i watch it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That is an absolutely horrific movie. Another of Jennifer Connelly's finest: Requiem for a Dream - although it's more shock and horror I feel when I watch that, rather than sadness.

Jeez, for someone who finds lots of stuff too upsetting to watch, I'm actually nodding my head vigorously at seemingly most of the stuff being mentioned here - more of a sad movies connoisseur than I thought I was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

My secret pleasure is to sit down in front of the tv, find a sad movie and have a quiet weep when no one is around. Very therapeutic.

I totally agree Will, it is very theraputic. And good for ya!

It's funny, cause in my own personal life I'm actually not that emotional and tend to keep a relatively level mood...but when it comes to movies and tv i cry at the drop of a hat!

Ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Actually, a video tat made me very sad was that U2 video from years back - Al I Want is You. A circus dwarf in love with a trapeze artist?

Haven't seen it for years. Must look it up.

HAPPYGIRL wrote: »

Funeral Blues

W.H. Auden

I think he robbed alot of it from Donal Og - another one that is both chilling and devasting.

You have taken the east from me; you have taken the west from me;
    you have taken what is before me and what is behind me;
    you have taken the moon, you have taken the sun from me;
    and my fear is great that you have taken God from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

marley & me that film really gets me. missed the whole ending cause all i could think of is my dog and that that happened to her :( i r sad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A Thousand Splendid Suns. Wept like a loon right the way through it, proper sobbed when I finished it. Never ever wanted to be Thursday Next and able to get into books and kick characters arses so much in my whole life before.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Amston

When Guiseppe dies in In the Name of the Father

I cry everytime, heartbreaking stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I shouldn't have started this thread! I have been inspired to have a day of non-stop crying my eyes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There's a song called " The orchard "....sung by Sean Tyrrell ( he is a Galway singer/song writer )...its a real weepie but strangely uplifting at the same time

Give my love to Rose by Johnny Cash. Always brings me to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

HAPPYGIRL wrote: »

Funeral Blues

W.H. Auden
    That poem is beautiful.

It brings to mind Mid-term Break by Seamus Heaney

Mid-term Break

I sat all morning in the college sick bay
    Counting bells knelling classes to a close,
    At two o'clock our neighbors drove me home.

In the porch I met my father crying--
    He had always taken funerals in his stride--
    And Big Jim Evans saying it was a hard blow.

The baby cooed and laughed and rocked the pram
    When I came in, and I was embarrassed
    By old men standing up to shake my hand

And tell me they were "sorry for my trouble,"
    Whispers informed strangers I was the eldest,
    Away at school, as my mother held my hand

In hers and coughed out angry tearless sighs.
    At ten o'clock the ambulance arrived
    With the corpse, stanched and bandaged by the nurses.

Next morning I went up into the room. Snowdrops
    And candles soothed the bedside; I saw him
    For the first time in six weeks. Paler now,

Wearing a poppy bruise on the left temple,
    He lay in the four foot box as in a cot.
    No gaudy scars, the bumper knocked him clear.

A four foot box, a foot for every year.

Seamus Heaney

It is about a child hit by a car.
    I find the last line haunting.

"a four foot box,a foot for every year"

^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i remember studying that for junior or leaving cert,it was week of ppl dying in australian soaps,crazy stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Decided to watch the first episode of 'Midweek' a few minutes ago.
    The parents of Catherine O'Leary, the woman from Cork who has locked-in syndrome (mentally aware of what's going on around you, but completely paralysed), are guests.
    It's so sad.

Her father broke down, during the interview, describing his daughter's suffering, prior to her brain scan. I just burst into tears. Such a tragic thing to happen to a person and for her family, and young son.

Also, Colette Fitzpatrick, the presenter's compassion and support to those guests throughout the interview was amazing. She's a credit to Irish television.

(For anyone who doesn't know the story: Catherine is in her early 30's, from Cork. Has a partner and an eleven year old son. She had constant hiccups for three years, "twenty four hours a day". Her condition then worsened, she lost tons of weight, couldn't keep food or drink down. According to her father, the doctors insisted she was anorexic and it was "all in her head". She insisted on having a brain scan and doctors discovered a tumour the size of a golf-ball in the back of her head. She then had an operation and suffered two strokes during it, which subsequently left her completely paralysed. She has since been in hospital for nineteen months.)

A Thousand Splendid Suns. Wept like a loon right the way through it, proper sobbed when I finished it. Never ever wanted to be Thursday Next and able to get into books and kick characters arses so much in my whole life before.
    Haven't read A Thousand Splendid Suns yet. Read The Kite-Runner though - was in an awful state...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've always thought this was one of Spielberg's best films:

And yeah, that's a young Christian Bale

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I cried a little at the end of the Notebook during the bit where they're old and the Geena Rowland's character remember's James Garner for a bit. That's the only time - I liked the story of the old couple, but their story when they were young didn't do much for me.

I cry at the oddest things - some ads make me cry like those for drink driving. Or scenes from XFactor or similar programs. Or when somebody wins something really important I cry with happiness like when Roger Federer won the French Open earlier this year.

Deep Impact always makes me cry - the bits at the end when people are saying their farewells - the astronauts to their partner's, especially the bit where the wife of one of them holds up their baby that the husband had never seen ("his name is Oran, I named him after you" - so cheesy, but so oooooh!!!) and the bit where Tea Leoni and her father are hugging before the wave comes, or where Leelee Sobieski's parents are hugging before the wave comes.

The end of Parenthood does it to me too. The bit where they're all sitting around the waiting room after Dianne Weist gives birth. It's just such a happy moment after all the drama that went before that I end up in tears.

When I was a kid I cried at the end of Three Men and a Baby, the bit where they thought Mary had gone home to England with her mother but they come back to their apartment and find them there.

Also rememeber balling when I was a very young child at Where The Red Fern Grows, when the two dogs end up dying at the end. I so will not watch Marley and Me.

Oh, also cried during the last third of the last Harry Potter book - so many deaths!!! I also cry at the end of the Watership Down book, but not the film.

Funnily, I tend not to cry at the usual weepies - Steel Magnolias, The Green Mile, ET, and others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've always thought this was one of Spielberg's best films:
    I think of Spielberg as the McCartney* of film. Intensely talented, knows how to pull a heartstring, but hits the schmaltz button a bit too often. When he doesnt he's ace. That bit in Saving Private Ryan where Tom Hanks steps away from his men and has that little breakdown usually gets me I have to say.

* His eleanor rigby is disturbingly good and amazing considering his age and the other songs released at the time. Very dark. For no one is another that hits the spot right on the money in describing the end of a relationship. This from a guy who also did the frog song. Jeez:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Decided to watch the first episode of 'Midweek' a few minutes ago.
    The parents of Catherine O'Leary, the woman from Cork who has locked-in syndrome (mentally aware of what's going on around you, but completely paralysed), are guests.
    It's so sad.

Her father broke down, during the interview, describing his daughter's suffering, prior to her brain scan. I just burst into tears. Such a tragic thing to happen to a person and for her family, and young son.

Also, Colette Fitzpatrick, the presenter's compassion and support to those guests throughout the interview was amazing. She's a credit to Irish television.

(For anyone who doesn't know the story: Catherine is in her early 30's, from Cork. Has a partner and an eleven year old son. She had constant hiccups for three years, "twenty four hours a day". Her condition then worsened, she lost tons of weight, couldn't keep food or drink down. According to her father, the doctors insisted she was anorexic and it was "all in her head". She insisted on having a brain scan and doctors discovered a tumour the size of a golf-ball in the back of her head. She then had an operation and suffered two strokes during it, which subsequently left her completely paralysed. She has since been in hospital for nineteen months.)

that's terrible. real heartbreaking story. the poor lady and her family too. my heart goes out to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Wibbs wrote: »
    I think of Spielberg as the McCartney* of film. Intensely talented, knows how to pull a heartstring, but hits the schmaltz button a bit too often. When he doesnt he's ace. That bit in Saving Private Ryan where Tom Hanks steps away from his men and has that little breakdown usually gets me I have to say.

* His eleanor rigby is disturbingly good and amazing considering his age and the other songs released at the time. Very dark. For no one is another that hits the spot right on the money in describing the end of a relationship. This from a guy who also did the frog song. Jeez:)

Aye, I agree with you completely there. Sometimes he does play the sentiment a bit too much, and certainly made the odd stinker, but he's definitely a great director. I loved Catch Me If You Can.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Reading the last Harry Potter book.
    Marley and Me.
    NOT The Notebook.
    And for some reason The Hannah Montana Movie:confused::o

• Advertisement

Aye, I agree with you completely there. Sometimes he does play the sentiment a bit too much, and certainly made the odd stinker, but he's definitely a great director. I loved Catch Me If You Can.

One of the things that repeatedly shows up in Spielberg films is the father son relationship and the surrogate father son relationship. His own parent's divorce is something he never quite got over, and this motif I think puts an awful lot of pathos in his films, parentless children and children seeking surrogate parents - it hits into our greatest fear - abandonment. Always going to make us cry.

Advertisement