Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RR Martin to visit Ireland for Game of Thrones filming

Options
  • 22-09-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I thought is was been filmed in New Zealand,looks like it will be flimed here now,or maybe just part of it.

Casting on the HBO pilot of A GAME OF THRONES continues, but there's not much I can say about it, except in generalities. Another of the supporting roles has been filled, I am told, and offers have been made on several more. Now we're waiting to see if those deals will close, which of course depends on things like schedule, terms, money, and such. If all the pieces fall into place, we'll have some exciting and talented additions to the cast.

No, I have no idea when HBO will make their next cast announcement.

Two major roles and some small ones remain unfilled as I write.

Looks like I will be flying over to Ireland to watch some of the filming. Still trying to figure out the dates. Since I will be over there anyway, it seems like a good opportunity to meet some of my Irish fans, so I will likely be doing a couple of signings while I'm there. One in Belfast, almost certainly, and maybe a second in Dublin. We'll see what arrangements can be made. Details will here and on my Appearances page, once I know 'em.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

George R. R. is also the guest of honour for Octocon 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm definitely there for one of his signings if they go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Shryke wrote: »
    I'm definitely there for one of his signings if they go ahead.

Looks like they will,see below.

Coming to Ireland
    • Sep. 22nd, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Arrangements are still being worked out, but I have some tentative dates and times for my appearances in Ireland in November.

On Tuesday, November 3, I will be speaking and signing at Eason's Bookstore in Belfast. The event begins at 1:00 pm. Or 1300 for you European types.

On Thursday, November 5, I will be at Eason's on O'Connell Street in Dublin. This event begins at 5:00 pm, or 1700.

More details when I have 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think I speak for everyone when I say:

Hurry the **** up with the next book!

Although I'll prolly still go to see him and sing his praises

they should have fun with all the rape and nude women scenes :confused:

should be cool though
    but he needs to hurry up with the last books

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

bluewolf wrote: »
    they should have fun with all the rape and nude women scenes :confused:

should be cool though
    but he needs to hurry up with the last books

The cruelty element is critical to the books... I hope they don't tone it down.

I think I speak for everyone when I say:

Hurry the **** up with the next book!

Although I'll prolly still go to see him and sing his praises

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

Though I have only started reading it, I'm sure it gets annoying. I'd rather wait for an awesome book than get a ****ty one every year though. I've gone through the same thing with Jordan (started reading it when I was about 12, and a total of two books have come out since then).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Undergod wrote: »
    http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

Though I have only started reading it, I'm sure it gets annoying. I'd rather wait for an awesome book than get a ****ty one every year though. I've gone through the same thing with Jordan (started reading it when I was about 12, and a total of two books have come out since then).

Erikson pumps out quality books yearly.

ixoy wrote: »
    Not quite the same though? Firstly, there's gaps with Jordan because he's... dead. More to the point though - there's years between books and they're still crappy :D

Yeah, but he wasn't dead between books nine and ten!
    Erikson pumps out quality books yearly.

Yeah, that's true. Erikson is my favourite fantasy author at the moment anyway though.
    Some authors need to take more time to craft a worthy product than others. I'd prefer that authors made sure the book was good, than make everyone publish to Erikson's annual schedule.

• Advertisement

There's an update on his not-a-blog:
    Finished a Jon Snow chapter, and have just passed the 1100 page (manuscript pages, the page count in the final printed book will be different) mark on A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. That's counting only finished chapters in something close to final form. I have considerably more in partials, fragments, and roughs.

Even with just the finished portions, DANCE is now longer than A FEAST FOR CROWS and A GAME OF THRONES, and I'm closing in on A CLASH OF KINGS. I do hope I can wrap things up before I approach the 1521 page length of A STORM OF SWORDS.
    Oh well it's coming along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Fantastic news!
    A storm of Swords was split into two books because of its length. A Feast for Crows is also a sort of half book in that it contains half the view points surrounding events with Dance taking in the rest and then perhaps going on a little further in the story. Will Dance then be split into two? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Hmm, looks like I'll need to get that Dublin date booked off work. I've got a hardback 1st edition of Game of Thrones which worth a fair bit if collectors websites are to be believed, and considerably more with the authors signature!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Branoic wrote: »
    Hmm, looks like I'll need to get that Dublin date booked off work. I've got a hardback 1st edition of Game of Thrones which worth a fair bit if collectors websites are to be believed, and considerably more with the authors signature!
    Better get a pic of him signing it otherwise it'll be competing with all the other spuriously 'signed' books you see on eBay!

Got my limited edition copy of Songs of the Dying Earth yesterday - signed by George, Neil Gaiman and all the contributors. :D

Still haven't made up my mind what book to bring along to Easons... though I'm thinking his anthology as it's in two parts... hehe

Turns out I have to work out in Dundrum on thursday! Lame!

Just hope all you guys who go spur him on to bring out the next book :p

Signing starts at 5pm... does this mean queuing is going to start hours earlier? i.e. Are you goosed arriving at 5pm or even 6pm?

Anyone been to a signing or hazard a guess as to how big a crowd George will pull?

Dades wrote: »
    Signing starts at 5pm... does this mean queuing is going to start hours earlier? i.e. Are you goosed arriving at 5pm or even 6pm?

Anyone been to a signing or hazard a guess as to how big a crowd George will pull?

On a Thursday at 5pm for a fantasy author? I'd say not that big a crowd. I don't plan on being in Dublin any time before about 4:30 anyway!

Dades wrote: »
    I hope not too big - I plan to be there around 17:15 as it'd be a bit of a pain to leave work much earlier just to get a book signed...

Cheers lads.

Might sneak out of work then early and see how things are.
    Though I wouldn't rely on picking up much of his stuff off the shelves to sign - opportunists will be there!

Walked through Eason's today and they had loads of his books all on display in order to prepare for his visit, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunists.

• Advertisement

Ok I was wrong- I'm in the queue now and it's quite long.

Queued for an hour and a half - so much for thinking it'd be quiet! The queue wasn't very well organised and it wound all around the shop. I'm not sure if it's always like that or if they got more people than expected.

He looks pretty much exactly like the pic on his site and he seemed quite friendly - he wasn't rushing people through. He even let me take picture with him.

Also hello to the two guys I was standing in line with. I've no idea what your names were but it was good to talk to fellow sci-fi/fantasy lovers who knew their R. Scott Bakker from their Joe Abercrombie and recognised the brilliance of 'Babylon 5'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Dagnammit! Lost track of what day it was... I'd really meant to get in to get a signed copy :(

Chuffed when I handed him my 1st edition hardback of A Game of Thrones and he had a good look through it and commented that it was very valuable - about $1500. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone ask him about Dance?

I got delayed in work so only got there about 5:45. There was about 200 odd people in the queue so I contented myself with just having a peek at the old guy!

georgerrmartin.jpg

I have a signed book of his already, but couldn't hang around that long to get another.

FYI's - Easons had stacks of books signed by George RR Martin on sale as of lunch today. Both his new anthology and all of The Song of Ice & Fire paperbacks (at normal price).

Tempted as I was to pick up the whole series (so far) I just picked up A Game of Thrones as it was my introduction to his stuff. :)

Chapters also have stacks of signed copies! Some at discount prices too (€12.99 for a signed hardback edition of 'Dreamsongs').

Advertisement