Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does tenant pay or landlord for....

Options
  • 22-09-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a new house and theres a few things that one would expect but arent there. It had just been renovated and we were told if we needed anything let them know. The boiler doesnt have a lagging jacket, the fire has none of the normal accessories and the kitchen has no curtains or blinds so at night anyone can see in which is a bit of a security concern and there are no smoke alarms / extinguisher etc. Ill ask anyhow just to chance my arm but legally are we expected to buy this stuff ourselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Legally they should have smoke alarms apart from that the rest are nice to haves but not something they must provide.

you should have asked before signing your lease as they have no obligation to provide the other items but give them a call hopefully they willl agree to provide these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Just moved into a new house and theres a few things that one would expect but arent there. It had just been renovated and we were told if we needed anything let them know. The boiler doesnt have a lagging jacket, the fire has none of the normal accessories and the kitchen has no curtains or blinds so at night anyone can see in which is a bit of a security concern and there are no smoke alarms / extinguisher etc. Ill ask anyhow just to chance my arm but legally are we expected to buy this stuff ourselves?

Lagging jacket? Not sure but i'd expect the landlord to provide it.
    Fire accessories - like a poker, etc? I bought mine, and will take it with me when i move out.
    Curtains? I'd expect the LL to provide.
    Smoke detectors/Extinguisher, definately the LL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I don't recall the fire alarms being considered standard unless it is a place broken into flats or an apartment block. I personally provide them and have done for years.

Everything you want seem reasonable and inexpensive. I normally say if you want them quickly buy them and provide receipts and the rent will be reduced by the same amount that month. Otherwise it will be a up to a month. That is of course what I say when acting as a landlord you must clear it with your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Kipperhell wrote: »
    I don't recall the fire alarms being considered standard unless it is a place broken into flats or an apartment block. I personally provide them and have done for years.

I believe its something required by law as part of your personal indemnity insurance which you should have as a landlord.

if im wrong i stand corrected but pretty sure they must have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

As regards lagging jacket - not all boilers need lagging jackets now. What type of boiler is it? If you see copper, one would be needed. For instance my boiler, has some kind of covering, which looks like foam, that covers it - that was how it came from the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Is it the hot water cylinder that you are looking for a jacket for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

thanks for all the feedback, it is a boiler and a copper one. Ill get onto the landlord. Thanks again for all the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Its a new property and mains power fed fire alarms have been mandatory for about 10 years now. Typically two smoke alarms and one heat detector.

Advertisement