Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can the wrong fertiliser damage your lawn?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hey,

Fairly clueless when it comes to lawn management! Just discovered I put a 24-2.5-10 fertiliser on a lawn when I wanted 10-10-20. Guy in the shop threw wrong bag in my car and didn't cop on til I took it out after I did the job! Its a pretty new lawn - seeded at start of summer. Anyone know what the consequences will be?? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I used 10 - 10 - 20 and it worked a treat on my lawn and it was considerably cheaper to buy than the stuff from the larger DIY outlets.

However in your case, you might have seriously overloaded the lawn with Nitrogen (which is the first element in "10 " -10 - 20. Nitrogen promotes fast grass growth and gives it a lush green colour but you might have poisened your new lawn if the soil was already fertile enough. You'll have to wait a few weeks to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It should be OK...
    It will grow a heavy crop but to be honest the excess N will wash away...
    May be a pain to have extra growth so late in the season as cutting it may be an issue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_om_om

thanks for the replies. little bit worried now really hope I didn't poison the lawn! its a big lawn maybe 700 square metres or so and not mine to boot! think I used the fertiliser fairly sparingly probably 5kg for the whole lot? it was a bit patchy so more growth I can handle but if I poisoned i'm in trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Just a quick question .......... When do you apply 10 -10-20.

Is it just simply a feed ? How do you suppress weeds ?

Thanks

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Yes its only a feed...
    spring or summer would be OK for 10-10-20 on a lawn... I wouldn't apply any fertiliser with high N in autumn as it will encourage growth late in the season which might be hard to keep mowed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Can I just ask what brand the fertiliser you got is, I'll be looking for a similar mix, with a high N content for making my lawn look like a lawn in the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I just thought I had to say something here... :)

Advertisement