Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to Plant

Options
  • 22-09-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a strip on the side of our driveway approx 150 ft x 5ft at present I have rose bushes white yellow then red to try & have a nice effect but these don't really seem to perform. I was thinking of putting in different colour Fuschia bushes is it too early or too late.

Or what plants would people recommend

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

I was thinking of fuschias,what do people think, when can these be planted and the best place to get them?I would probably need about 30 - 60 plants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

What kind of soil/drainage/aspect are we talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Soil would be sandy loam drainage would be fine as beds are slightly raised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

The roses would probably benifit from a heavy mulch of spent mushroom compost or well rotted horse manure.

Fuschias are thugs and so will proably thrive as long as they don't get exposed to heavy frosts.

As for other plants, sounds like you want colourful shrubs, I'd be inclined to go for a variety, to add length to the display, perhaps

Forsythia
    Viburnum
    Cotoneaster
    Daphne

Advertisement