Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MUST I file a return?

• 22-09-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hello,
    After a multi-year absence I returned to Ireland 2 years ago to perform renovations on a property I had purchased (prior to returning).

Throughout that time I've been surviving on savings and on loans from my partner (still abroad).

Late last year I registered a business name (as an individual, not a company) with the intention of becoming self employed, but, having decided that there was no business potential, I never actually traded or had any income from that or any other source (including welfare of any sort) and therefore never registered as self employed or for VAT etc.

I'm likely leaving again by the end of this year or early next...

Even though I had no income am I obliged to file a tax return because of the business name registration?

Would it be advisable to file one anyway since I've been "invisible" to the "system"? - which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing...

Tx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

If you've been sent a return you should send this back, with a note detailing as in your post. Might be worth deregistering also, as it's likely a fresh form will issue each year otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

When will people stop coming to this forum to get someone to back up their illegal ideas.

You are legally oblidged to file a return.

File it.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement