Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CB Defensive Woes - Whats the answer?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Woodgate: SSN quotes Harry as confirming that Woodgate is nowhere near recovery from his injury problems.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_5575325,00.html

Ledley, as we all know, can't even train and realistically can only manage a full 90 minutes every two weeks.

Dawson, is apparently back in training, and may possibly be rushed back to first team action too soon due to our CB crisis.

Bassong, thankfully it seems his injury was not as bad as it first looked and should be back in the team for the weekend.

Looks like we'll play Huddlestone and Corluka at CB position for the Carling Cup game with Preston, which, with any luck, we'll be able to get away with but come Burnley on Saturday I think it's a different story. Daws has not had any first team action this season let alone play alongside Bassong.

We need to buy a solid (injury prone free) CB, come the Jan transfer window otherwise our current problems are just going to keep repeating itself. IMO we missed a good opportunity with Richard Dunne.

It's looking more and more likely that Pav will be on his way out in January, so I hope we re-invest the money from him to strengthen the heart of our defence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's a big worry alright. I can't stand the thought of Corluka and Thudd as our CB pairing. Any strikeforce with a smidgen of pace will ruin us. My heart sank when Bassong went off injured but thankfully he's ok. Hopefully Dawson will be fit for the weekend but I agree, we need to spend some money in January and pick up a decent, experienced CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

SuprSi wrote: »
    It's a big worry alright. I can't stand the thought of Corluka and Thudd as our CB pairing. Any strikeforce with a smidgen of pace will ruin us. My heart sank when Bassong went off injured but thankfully he's ok. Hopefully Dawson will be fit for the weekend but I agree, we need to spend some money in January and pick up a decent, experienced CB.

Harry is hoping to give Dawson 60 mins against Preston on Wednesday - doesn't want to rush him back, he says.
    Hopefully, Bassong and Dawson will play at the weekend; need to get a few wins going again in the next four games (Burnley, Bolton, Portsmouth and Stoke) before the emirates game on 31st October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Woodgate: SSN quotes Harry as confirming that Woodgate is nowhere near recovery from his injury problems.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_5575325,00.html

Ledley, as we all know, can't even train and realistically can only manage a full 90 minutes every two weeks.

Dawson, is apparently back in training, and may possibly be rushed back to first team action too soon due to our CB crisis.

Bassong, thankfully it seems his injury was not as bad as it first looked and should be back in the team for the weekend.

Looks like we'll play Huddlestone and Corluka at CB position for the Carling Cup game with Preston, which, with any luck, we'll be able to get away with but come Burnley on Saturday I think it's a different story. Daws has not had any first team action this season let alone play alongside Bassong.

We need to buy a solid (injury prone free) CB, come the Jan transfer window otherwise our current problems are just going to keep repeating itself. IMO we missed a good opportunity with Richard Dunne.

It's looking more and more likely that Pav will be on his way out in January, so I hope we re-invest the money from him to strengthen the heart of our defence.

Dawson will play at least an hour on Wednesday according to Harry and Bassong is okay to play on Sat - So it will be Dawson and Bassong for now - hopefully they are working together in training as we speak, and should be okay (until ledders is back.....maybe 2 weeks?) So not as bad as we first thoght........Dawson and Bassong for now and King and Bassong I would say when King is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We would not be two bad if Daws could make it with Bassong,but if Daws can't make it i would rather see Hudd with Bassong rather than Corluka.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

I love how most spurs fans solution to a player is currently playing bad is to sell them and if there is a player not playing well or injured, the soln is to buy!!!
    There is a point where we just have to give the players a break and hopefully they can learn something and develop under 'arry who may not be the worlds best manager but is without doubt one of the best man managers and coaches. I'd think that daws and woody/bassong would be great combo in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

woody was running in training today for the love of god they'll all come back for a game 2 crocked in first half the other two in the second half:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I know it was only Burnley, but Bassong was very good yesterday, and I'd be happy with him and Dawson away to Bolton next week.

In the long term Bassong plus AN Other is the answer, we cannot rely on King for ever and if we manage to qualify for Europe next year we'll need someone who can play more than one game a week.

Woodgate's future is the key IMO, if he is destined for eternal injury then we need to start looking for a quality replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

rumours around today of matthew upson or gary cahill in january

harry always talks us down in inverviews but i think he sees that we have a real chance on a top 3 finish and will buy again in january

bassong is a very good player, him and dawson will play away to bolton

will we beat bolton away> they are very poor this year

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I hope Dawson gets a run. Model pro in fairness. Never whinges about been left out. I have a mate is an Everton fan and he constantly says he would have Dawson in a heartbeat at his club. Distin was a great bit of business by them, surprised Arry didnt come in for him. Probably thought he'd pilaged Portsmouth enough.

mickman wrote: »
    rumours around today of matthew upson or gary cahill in january

harry always talks us down in inverviews but i think he sees that we have a real chance on a top 3 finish and will buy again in january

bassong is a very good player, him and dawson will play away to bolton

will we beat bolton away> they are very poor this year

Juve are apparently after Cahill on Capellos recommendation. Huddlestone is someone who I think could do ok at CB.

• Advertisement

no way man. huddlestone is no good at CB and he dont like playing there either. he runs with the ball every chance he gets, against a good team he would be taken apart at CB. he will drop to the bench next sat.

Maybe Mickman. I hope he starts against Bolton rather than Jenas, who just hasnt done the business for us as far as I am concerned. I think you need to keep the ball to beat Boton and he is the man far that. Id take a draw now for that game if offered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Seillejet wrote: »
    Maybe Mickman. I hope he starts against Bolton rather than Jenas, who just hasnt done the business for us as far as I am concerned. I think you need to keep the ball to beat Boton and he is the man far that. Id take a draw now for that game if offered it.

hudd is too slow for centre half.

also think he'll be on the bench next week , i think his passing has been below par this season , lots of stray passes which is unlike him.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Bolton's main threat is usually an aerial attack from corners, free kicks etc. therefore I think that definitely puts Hudd out of the equation for playing at CB.

Best option for me has to be Daws and Bassong, to defend the high ball attack.

Long term we have to buy again. Ledley and Woody are just too injury prone to form part of a stable defence.

What about moving Corluka to CB with Bassong and Dawson at right back?

are you kidding

corluka is no good at CB. not hard enough to get in with the tackles at all

plus what would bassong and dawson do at right back!!

Advertisement