Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clean Install Xp on a Vista machine

• 22-09-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

hi All,

Have a brand new Dell that came outta the box with Vista urgh. Have an XP install disk. When I boot the machine from the CD ROM I get a blue screen saying "a problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer" etc. I think this is because of partitions on the disk. All the guides I have found are talking baout making it dual boot. I don't want vista at all so can I just do a clean install has anyone any info on how to get past this blue screen?

Ta!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Have you set the first boot option to be the dvd/cd drive in the bios, then getting a screen saying "press any key to boot from cd" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Yup I get the blue screen after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Kazbah wrote: »
    Have a brand new Dell that came outta the box with Vista urgh.

You could just wipe the disk and install XP but make sure you have all ther driver hardware ready. Why are you so against Vista, is it because you don't know how to use it properly or you would just prefer stay with XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't think it matters too much?? The thread is just about how to do it, not if one is better than the other. I don't think the OP was professing his hatred for anything except the pre-installed stuff his PC had.

Are you sure the boot order has CD-ROM ahead of hard drive in the bios?? Were you able to get near the XP install screen with all the blue and blocky text on it?

Yes I'm sure I could learn to use Vista if I so desired but imagine it will be shortlived with 7 on the way, so whats the point.

Nope, didn't get to the XP install screen. The Blue screen came straight after "press any key to boot from the CD". It's definitely booting from the CD first, if I change the order back to HDD, Vista loads normally. I think it's something to do with partitions.

The other future prob is that my drivers CD is for vista. Do I have to get onto DELL and see if they can get me a XP CD? Or D/L everything separately? I don't think Bluetooth and maybe not sound will work with XP from looking at the web but would like a boardsies experience if anyone has actually done this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Piff...... Stick with the vista man and don't be going backwards

I really don't want to do the "should I" etc, just wanna find out how!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Kazbah wrote: »
    Yes I'm sure I could learn to use Vista if I so desired but imagine it will be shortlived with 7 on the way, so whats the point.

Nope, didn't get to the XP install screen. The Blue screen came straight after "press any key to boot from the CD". It's definitely booting from the CD first, if I change the order back to HDD, Vista loads normally. I think it's something to do with partitions.

The other future prob is that my drivers CD is for vista. Do I have to get onto DELL and see if they can get me a XP CD? Or D/L everything separately? I don't think Bluetooth and maybe not sound will work with XP from looking at the web but would like a boardsies experience if anyone has actually done this?

I wouldn't say it's anything to do with the partitioning of your disk. Possibly a defective installation CD.

You could test out the disk in a virtual machine (VirtualBox is free and easy to use) to see if it gives the same error.

To rule out the possibility of it being something to do with your partitions, unplug the HDD then boot up from the installation CD.

You say it's brand new? Is it one eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7?

Check here: http://www.dell.com/windows7

If so you should keep Vista installed as I'd imagine the DVD they send you out is only an upgrade DVD and not one capable of a fresh install.

Vista is annoying and fidgety. Windows 7 has all the positives of Vista minus the annoyances. I've purchased a copy of Win 7 and will be moving from XP when it comes out.

Advertisement