Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do/did you skip lectures?

• 22-09-2009 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Well, in first year now, but have missed a few I must say. Ive missed about 6 out of 2 weeks now. The 9am ones are the worst... or the ones where you have about a 2-3 hour break between a lecture and I cant be arsed to go back in.

I feel guilty though If I miss too many...:o

You?

Comments

Potential dropout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

i think it would be easier to find all the lectures i have went to. you could count them on one hand.

and dont ever get sick, im in med

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I missed about 8 straight weeks last semester, maybe more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Barely went to any... On the odd occasion that I was actually in before midday, I just skipped into an empty lab and joined the rest of the potential dropouts playing Half-Life DM:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I skipped 60-70% of them.

Some subjects I never attended all semester, just went in for the exam at the end.

I finished with a 1.1 and top of my class.

Suck it Trebek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

2 weeks in and your skipping lectures already?enjoy the dole queue

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

never went to a full week , had bout 12 hours average for three years made about 7.

for masters tho upped my game considerably to bout 18 hours out of 21 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

Haven't missed a lecture yet but only started last week..Don't want to start off missing lectures..or i'll never get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Undergrad: disastrous at the start, but then became quite good (apart from 9am Monday/Friday ones).
    Certificate when I went back as a mature student - ridiculously disciplined. But those colleges of further education are far stricter about attendance than uni's/ITs.
    Postgrad - very disciplined too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Probably went to about 50% of my lectures. I'm a 3 time college dropout. Welcome to your future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

You can count the amount of lectures I've missed with your fingers. I'm going into second year now.

I don't see the point in getting the Government to pay several grand for you to go to college if you're not going to make an effort.

As well as that, don't forget that there were probably people who wanted to do the course but missed out because they got less points than you. If you're not going to make an effort then don't do the course and let someone else take your place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Well, in first year now, but have missed a few I must say. Ive missed about 6 out of 2 weeks now. The 9am ones are the worst... or the ones where you have about a 2-3 hour break between a lecture and I cant be arsed to go back in.

I feel guilty though If I miss too many...:o

You?

That makes no sense. You've missed six lectures and you're not 'guilty' yet?

I don't miss many, I don't like to miss them. Made nearly all of them last year and a good lot the year before. The ones I didn't go to I was probably sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

LOL well just graduated last year :D but i used to be a good girl for going to classes except for in first year when we had the dreaded cooking with mrs gordan ramsey- thats what we called her! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Missed 6 lectures altogether in first year. Was sick for a bit during second year and missed 3 days and afterwards realised I dont need to go to every single lecture so would take the odd one off here and there. Still went to a good 80-90% though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭hoochio

121 consecutive but never missed a lab! Oh and got on well with exams but dropped out due to intense boredom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

There is only two essential lectures the first one and the last.

After that it is a matter of going in now and again to see whats the craic. Any assignments or that you'll hear about it from someone.

Probably went to under half in under grad but in post grad went to most kinda had to as they would notice you weren't there.

Was told actually by a lecturer of all people you were not really expected to attend every single lecture and in his opinion there was no need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Had very good attendance for lectures

Didn't go to many seminars/tutorials though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Went to about 6 lectures in the whole of first year, about 4 in 2nd year.

Made it to my third year with a pretty good GPA.

Economics and politics is piss easy tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Probably went to about 5% of my lectures in college – usually the ones where there was a continuous assessment element.
    I missed a couple of entire semesters.
    Got a 2.2 in the end. Sure I could have got a 1.1 if I tried harder, but at the time it didn’t seem worth the effort

Dave! wrote: »
    Had very good attendance for lectures

Didn't go to many seminars/tutorials though

I always considered tutorials more important because thats where questions and examples were done for exams, i'd miss a lecture way before missing a tutorial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

jackncoke wrote: »
    2 weeks in and your skipping lectures already?enjoy the dole queue

ah jasus come on now considering 4 of the missed ones were in the first week because of not being able to find the room(I started college late because of later round offer, so never got a chance to look around the college until the first morning) and the time table getting jumbled up, i don't see how this is going to make me a potential drop out already. if I keep it up at this rate I probably will though, im going to do my best not miss many more though.
    That makes no sense. You've missed six lectures and you're not 'guilty' yet?

I didn't say i wasn't:confused:Of course I don't like it when I miss a lecture or class, but sometimes there's not much you can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I never used to go to lectures. I preferred labs. I've an eidetic memory and struggle to take in things that are said to me. I need to read them to remember it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I always considered tutorials more important because thats where questions and examples were done for exams, i'd miss a lecture way before missing a tutorial

Whats the difference in a lecture and tutorial? Havnt heard the word tutorial in my course yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

im sposed to be in one now... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Um a lot in first year, never saw several lecturers in second year, 3rd year was a bit better, copped on, and went to a lot in fourth year. Skipped some in fourth year but mostly due to having to much work to do on projects.

My postcount is what I worked on in labs.

Whats the difference in a lecture and tutorial? Havnt heard the word tutorial in my course yet.

Lectures are were the lecturer usually just talks or goes through slides.

Tutorials are were (usually) a postgrad goes through questions and gives solutions. Its where I think you learn the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Mark200 wrote: »
    You can count the amount of lectures I've missed with your fingers. I'm going into second year now.

I don't see the point in getting the Government to pay several grand for you to go to college if you're not going to make an effort.

As well as that, don't forget that there were probably people who wanted to do the course but missed out because they got less points than you. If you're not going to make an effort then don't do the course and let someone else take your place.

couldn't agree more. if you had to pay the 4 or 5k (or whatever they are now, that's what they were in my day) in college fees you'd definitely go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Went to about 80% for my degree but couldn't go to certain ones as i knew how terribly boring they were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Probably went to about 5% of my lectures in college – usually the ones where there was a continuous assessment element.
    I missed a couple of entire semesters.
    Got a 2.2 in the end. Sure I could have got a 1.1 if I tried harder, but at the time it didn’t seem worth the effort

Appropriate username :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Fuhrer wrote: »
    I skipped 60-70% of them.

Some subjects I never attended all semester, just went in for the exam at the end.

Sounds about right for me also.

It's something EVERYBODY brags about though - but it's really not that much more fun just to scratch your arse at home instead of actually engaging with your course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Missed about 70% of them, I was a very stupid first year.

couldn't agree more. if you had to pay the 4 or 5k (or whatever they are now, that's what they were in my day) in college fees you'd definitely go.
    A lecturer of mine made the same point before when only about 10 out of 80 people consistently showed up for a 9 o'clock - we had a American study abroad student in our class who was at every lecture without fail and when he asked her (for our benefit, he already knew the answer) why she was always here, she said it was becasue in the US you have to pay to go to college so if you dont go your basically throwing your money away.

Karlusss wrote: »
    Sounds about right for me also.

It's something EVERYBODY brags about though - but it's really not that much more fun just to scratch your arse at home instead of actually engaging with your course.

Most of these courses are so regimented that its simply a case of looking at the previous years exam papers and learning the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was a very good girl, I reckon I probably went to 90% of my lectures, or close enough.

It was as handy to just go to the lectures as to arse about doing nothing, and it's just tedious trying to catch up on notes after missing lectures.

Most of these courses are so regimented that its simply a case of looking at the previous years exam papers and learning the answers.
    True, but then after the exams are finished and all the knowledge from cramming from the night before has evaporated you know squat. Then how hireable are you? To actually learn anything you need to go to lectures/tutorials

• Advertisement

True, but then after the exams are finished and all the knowledge from cramming from the night before has evaporated you know squat. Then how hireable are you? To actually learn anything you need to go to lectures/tutorials

Knowledge is picked up on the job, what job has ever hired a graduate without a training period?

All College does is show at least an ability to perform in the given area in a conventional manner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

How often do/did you skip lectures?

ALL the time.
    Every one of them.

Once the wife starts with the lecture - thats it, I'm off to the pub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I had 12 hours a week. Went to maybe 5 or 6 of them at a push.

Still got my degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    LOL well just graduated last year :D but i used to be a good girl for going to classes except for in first year when we had the dreaded cooking with mrs gordan ramsey- thats what we called her! :)

Jam Making course???

Knowledge is picked up on the job, what job has ever hired a graduate without a training period?

All College does is show at least an ability to perform in the given area in a conventional manner

Knowledge of that specific job is done through training/induction but you need to have a general grounding in the area beforehand. I've heard of (and been at) interviews where you are asked a simple technical question that any engineer should know (I'm an engineering graduate btw) and if you dont know the interview is as good as over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I never went to any morning lectures really and skipped the one's that'd have me waiting around for hours! Never went to one tutorial either! That said.... I did drop out of college! :pac:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I had 12 hours a week. Went to maybe 5 or 6 of them at a push.

Still got my degree.

Yeah but Xavi, you had to flee the country.

Whats the leason here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Skipped a criminal amount of classes in 1st year, slightly less in 2nd, less again in 3rd and barely missed a class in my final year.

Oddly, my grades go in an upward curve year on year?? Really makes ya think :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Undergrad was pretty bad in forst and second year but grand after that. The hdip was good but the masters was a disaster though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

I missed about 8 straight weeks last semester, maybe more

and he still beat me and i went to more

Skipped a criminal amount of classes in 1st year, slightly less in 2nd, less again in 3rd and barely missed a class in my final year.

Oddly, my grades go in an upward curve year on year?? Really makes ya think :rolleyes:

I did the same

my grades went down though :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

whats with people skipping lectures when they only have like 10, we ahd 40 hours o so a week :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

In first year i missed about half of all lectures
    in 2nd year missed about 3/4.

all our notes were online and i just did a lot of cramming when the exams came around so it wasnt really a problem.

in 3rd year now, hopefully ill be in alot more coz i have a lot of stuff to do this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SwordsRed

I missed a fair few last year. This year ive started well. My timetables pretty soft this year so I doubt ill skip too many classe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Missed about 3 last year cos I was busy with projects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement