Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling on a plane with children

Options
  • 22-09-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

I was just looking at some ryanair prices and I might treat the kids with a 1c flight :D

But I haven't flown with a child in a few years and am out of touch with whats required? Any passports we had would be out of date.

For travelling to the UK
    1) Do I need ID for children? If so, what types of ID are allowed?
    2) Is there a limit to the number of children per adult passenger that can travel?
    3) Anything else I should know about?

For travelling within Ireland (same questions as above)
    1) Do I need ID for children? If so, what types of ID are allowed?
    2) Is there a limit to the number of children per adult passenger that can travel?
    3) Anything else I should know about?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Found this on the Aer Linguis site.
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:

Valid Passport
    Driver's licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.

Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

So my passport alone should be enough. As long as there is no limit to the number I can bring. I would plan to bring 3 and the mrs would stay with the youngest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Your kids would need ID too if travelling to the UK on aerlingus. Ryanair will only accept passports for the children, whether going to the UK or elsewhere.

Your kids would need ID too if travelling to the UK on aerlingus. Ryanair will only accept passports for the children, whether going to the UK or elsewhere.

So the Aer Lingus FAQ is BS then?

If travelling to Cork with RyanAir, is a passport the only ID that they will accept for kids?

Starting to sound like too much hassle :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

No it is not BS. It says it accepts ID for travel to the UK.

If you are travelling domestic on Ryanair you should check with them as to what kind of ID they require for your kids.

Found this on the ryanair site.
    THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:

A valid passport – ( see below - */and ** below)
    * It is acceptable for children under 16 to travel if they are included on the valid passport of the parent with whom they are travelling-

** During the online check-in process the accompanying adult’s travel document details must be duplicated in the child’s document details section.

So the heel of the hunt is that I would need to get a passport for them to travel with ryanair. Ah well, thats a pity. I'll see what the effort is on getting passports before I completely give up.

Edit: adding passport costs for kids.
    For the issue of a passport to children under 3 years of age, valid for three years. €16
    For the issue of a passport to children aged 3 to 17 years of age, valid for five years. €26.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

something to watch out for is that you can't check in online unless you have a valid passport, even the kids.

Advertisement