Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming cost saving measures - ideas?

• 22-09-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

With all the cuts in farm payments - area aid, REPS, etc., what measures are farmers out there taking to basicially keep themselves in business?

With the cuts in Area Aid and Reps alone, i am going to be roughly 10K worse off this year.

Over the last number of years, in my own case the above payments have been reinvested into the farm as follows.
    Machinery was purchased, Tractor upgraded, money reinvested in Farm upkeep.

Looking ahead, the following cost saving measures will have to be taken:

Zero reinvestment in farm machinery
    Reduce local agri supplier bill by 50%
    Reduce farm maintenance bill by 50%
    Shop around (contractors, insurance, fuel)
    Purchase farming goods up the north

anyone any ideas to add?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Total de stock of all cattle - only losing money anyway-let the factories feel the pain of low kill
    Sell hay/silage
    Rent accommodation
    Provide where possible herding service
    Rent land
    Sell or hire your new machinery
    Sign on the dole
    Be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Be happy

But would ya ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

As Pee Flynn famously said on the difficulties of running 3 homes " try it sometime "and I am running outa time!
    Cant take any more of the spiralling costs, weather and general doom and gloom in farming
    I think I may be depressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have cows or cattle? If not, and you have fields, cut the grass, and sell it.

Advertisement