Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MA In Military and Strategic Studies

• 22-09-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi,

Is anyone doing this course? We don't register until the 28th but I came across the postgrad handbook and it says that lectures started this week!!! Is this true?????? I'm freaking out because you have to have 100% attendance otherwise you fail!! Is it a mistake? I haven't gotten any information about the course, bar the Postgrad pack which just gave details of registration.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Ring the department and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

100%? are you serious, this is dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

meganj wrote: »
    Hi,

Is anyone doing this course? We don't register until the 28th but I came across the postgrad handbook and it says that lectures started this week!!! Is this true?????? I'm freaking out because you have to have 100% attendance otherwise you fail!! Is it a mistake? I haven't gotten any information about the course, bar the Postgrad pack which just gave details of registration.

I did it last year and I believe the lectures did start back this week but I don't think the 100% attendance thing is true. Just go in for the next class and explain it to Dr.Speller or if it's really worrying you ring the department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

whats this course like?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

hiya,
    I am doing the MA in local history and we had an intro lecture yesturday and our lectures begin tomorrow but we don't register til the 28th so I would say DON'T PANIC, but ring the history dept! They did take a roll last night. I doubt its a big problem if you miss some though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

i think whatever postgrads are not starting in jan started this week. reg for most is 2moro so the advice is to get to an aib 2moro and pay whatever your fees are and get to maynooth 2moro to register to avoid the late reg charge and sort accommodation. Anyway id say they are not too strict especially with all the late grant acceptance letters this year. will a masters like this not take away from getting a cadet spot...

Also in my very limited experience dont pay more than 90 for double and if you dig your heels in you will get any remaining twin rooms for 90 and if you find yourself taking a small single room at this stage of the year you will get it for 60 if you use the take it or leave it approach. every house is within 10 mins walk so dont commit to an overpriced **** room and look around.

Daft.ie or Walk into college to accommodation office and get house share listings. get them to describe room then find a fault with it, not close enough to college, not double, not enough room for your fish tank or you just dont like the colour and offer two thirds and offer to let them ring you back in half hour if they cave... most will and then bargain them off against eachother... that last ditch effort could be the difference of a grand over the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies, only getting back to all you lovely people now as I'm without internet in the homestead! I got it sorted anyway twas no big deal, apparently that whole 100% thing is according to Dr. Spellar an excuse for him coming down on us like a tonne of bricks if we take the piss. But as I'm not a piss taker I should be fine!!!
    skelliser wrote: »
    whats this course like?

The course is great, really good I'm enjoying it immensely aside from having to have the thesis proposal in today after having only four lectures and one tutorial, but what can you do! If your considering doing a masters its very good and very well thought out and taught (so far anyway!!!)

5Aces wrote: »
    Daft.ie or Walk into college to accommodation office and get house share listings. get them to describe room then find a fault with it, not close enough to college, not double, not enough room for your fish tank or you just dont like the colour and offer two thirds and offer to let them ring you back in half hour if they cave... most will and then bargain them off against eachother... that last ditch effort could be the difference of a grand over the year.
    Also in my very limited experience dont pay more than 90 for double and if you dig your heels in you will get any remaining twin rooms for 90 and if you find yourself taking a small single room at this stage of the year you will get it for 60 if you use the take it or leave it approach. every house is within 10 mins walk so dont commit to an overpriced **** room and look around.
    i think whatever postgrads are not starting in jan started this week. reg for most is 2moro so the advice is to get to an aib 2moro and pay whatever your fees are and get to maynooth 2moro to register to avoid the late reg charge and sort accommodation. Anyway id say they are not too strict especially with all the late grant acceptance letters this year. will a masters like this not take away from getting a cadet spot...

5Aces, thanks for all that info, I wasn't worried so much about registration just didn't want to fail before even starting the course! I have a place in maynooth anyway as I'm a returning student! thanks though!

laughing looking back now on my rants, i swear to god there must be something about me that all the landladies were trying to pull a fast one, got sorted out with a good spot in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

meganj wrote: »
    The course is great, really good I'm enjoying it immensely aside from having to have the thesis proposal in today after having only four lectures and one tutorial, but what can you do! If your considering doing a masters its very good and very well thought out and taught (so far anyway!!!)

Wait until this time next year when you're handing it in. It's been done for ages but I just can't bring myself to go back and do all that formatting. Mine changed so much. I don't think a single word of my original title is still in it. Anyway enjoy the course. David and Ian and great fun.

Advertisement