Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what type of shotgun best?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

i am just wondering what type of shotgun is the best to get eg brand etc as i am on the look out for one will be useing it for hunting and an odd clay (very odd). I am just wondering also what the price would be and just about your experience with them. I dont want to buy a ****ty gun and then have to change it want somthing decent that doesnt involve upgrading after a year or two.
    Suggestions please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

well the question is broad as far as shotguns go as you can pay astronomical prices for some and not for other. get to your local dealer there are shotguns coming in by the newtime at the moment and you could get a great deal. i know i did.

personally i fisrt bought an over and under and i am now switching to a side by side. whatever suits you and you like is most important. forget about brand names. if you aim it correctly you will hit what your shoting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

its hard to beat a lamber O/U in the sub €1000 catagory, if you want a new one. Make sure the gun fits. A good beretta can be picked up second hand around the €1000 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm currently looking at a Pump action Remmy 870 Super, granted not the prettiest in black synthetic but practical and has the option of shooting 3.5" shells if my shoulder can handle them.:eek:
    €300 which is pretty reasonable, although the vendor tells me there is a great deal of snobbery with the pump action amongst other guns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

How about a Beretta AL391 Gold Stonecoat. 3 shot semi auto, beautiful finish, great for clays better for game. Multi choke, geltec recoil pad, 30" barrels, vented for little to no recoil. Only mention it cos i'm looking at one myself. Nice. €2400 new (approx) looking at 4 month old one for €1900. Stakelums in Thurles.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭ferret man

ezridax wrote: »
    How about a Beretta AL391 Gold Stonecoat. 3 shot semi auto, beautiful finish, great for clays better for game. Multi choke, geltec recoil pad, 30" barrels, vented for little to no recoil. Only mention it cos i'm looking at one myself. Nice. €2400 new (approx) looking at 4 month old one for €1900. Stakelums in Thurles.

now thats a fine gun only thing is i still wouldnt tink it was cheap at half the price

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Shop around. There's lots of guns coming back into dealers to be sold. Just make sure you do what Jonty says - make sure it fits! If you can, get an experienced shooter to go to the shop with you and look over the gun. Don't just listen to the salesman dealer!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ferret man wrote: »
    now thats a fine gun only thing is i still wouldnt tink it was cheap at half the price

You're dead right. Its not cheap, but it is NICE.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

it sure is nice!:D

Advertisement