Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I asked this once before but it got hijacked so let's try again: if Ireland says yes

Options
  • 22-09-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

...is that it, the treaty is passed? Or are there still some other countries which haven't passed it yet? Is there still the possibility of it being struck down somewhere else? What's the situation in the Czech Republic, and with the Tories wanting a referendum in Britain if they are elected?

And can we please keep to the point here, NOT another debate topic...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The situation at present is that both houses of the Czech and Polish parliaments have ratified the treaties and it is awaiting presidential signatures in both countries, pending the Irish result. Currently Germany's upper house have passed the legislation that the Constitutional court required before Lisbon can be ratified.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

So then if Ireland ratifies, the only remaining obstacle is Germany's ratification?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

And can we please keep to the point here, NOT another debate topic...

Pre-emptively, I'd like to ask all posters to respect this request.

OP and others...please report posts which don't do so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

So then if Ireland ratifies, the only remaining obstacle is Germany's ratification?

That and the two euroskeptic Presidents of the Czech Republic and Poland. It is hard to see that they could really delay if Ireland has ratified, especially in the Czech Republic, given that the Czech courts have already ruled on the compatability of the Treaty with the Czech Constitution. Not as familiar with the situation in Poland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I think the Czech & Polish presidents will rubber stamp the treaty if Ireland votes Yes.

Its passed the courts in germany and their lower house.
    it still to be approved by their provincial assembly/upper house.

Has the treaty passed through the house of Lords in the UK yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I think the Czech & Polish presidents will rubber stamp the treaty if Ireland votes Yes.

Its passed the courts in germany and their lower house.
    it still to be approved by their provincial assembly/upper house.

Has the treaty passed through the house of Lords in the UK yet?

16th July last year.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement