Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here doing organic farming

• 22-09-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're gonna be taking on 70 acres of good land in the next year or so.

it's leased at the moment being grazed with sucklers.

we want to farm it and have been looking at lots of different systems and types of farming.

Organic farming looks interesting.

There is definitely a lower output from it, but inputs are greatly restricted too so does it balance out in terms of returns?

we're not expecting to get rich off this, but we both love farming and there's also the attraction of the organics scheme which if its still in operation sounds almost too good to be true.

what are peoples thoughts on organic farming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I may be wrong, but I understood that the Organic Scheme closed to new applicants at the same time as REPS 4 did. There's a thread on it somewhere here. While this would not stop you from carrying out the practice of organic farming, you would not get the excellent grants that were available up to this.

Could an organic farmer make a living on the sale of produce only????

Maybe if you were selling fruit or veg you could. I honestly believe that you would struggle if you were trying to sell animals.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Hi,

We're gonna be taking on 70 acres of good land in the next year or so.

it's leased at the moment being grazed with sucklers.

we want to farm it and have been looking at lots of different systems and types of farming.

Organic farming looks interesting.

There is definitely a lower output from it, but inputs are greatly restricted too so does it balance out in terms of returns?

we're not expecting to get rich off this, but we both love farming and there's also the attraction of the organics scheme which if its still in operation sounds almost too good to be true.

what are peoples thoughts on organic farming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

With the organic REPS gone, it will be quite a challenge for you to make money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/organic-scheme-reopens-1892695.html

yesterday after reilig's post I did some googling and stumbled across the article above, from tuesday!

interesting, verry interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/organic-scheme-reopens-1892695.html

yesterday after reilig's post I did some googling and stumbled across the article above, from tuesday!

interesting, verry interesting

Happy Days!!! :)

tis indeed,

and I'm on the info list for an eCollege course on introduction to organic farming due to start shortly.

it'll be interesting to sit down and do a business plan over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

tis indeed,

and I'm on the info list for an eCollege course on introduction to organic farming due to start shortly.

it'll be interesting to sit down and do a business plan over the winter.

Couldn't post a link to that course could you?

R1

Advertisement