Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do we need more Irish flags?

• 22-09-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I was in town last week, and I noticed a distinct lack of Irish flags on some of our most historic buildings. Take the Bank of Ireland at College Green for example. This is a beautiful building, but it didn't have any tricolour flying; only a blue Bank of Ireland flag was displayed. Other countries seem to have more pride in displaying their national flag, and it is usually placed on all their landmark buildings.

Anyone else agree that we should have more Irish flags flying on our important buildings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

we can give miniature irish flags to some, and abortions to the rest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yes OP, I think we should have more flags. National pride has gone to bollix lately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Yes OP, I think we should have more flags. National pride has gone to bollix lately

This is mein view also, nothing but good comes from national pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Fuhrer wrote: »

ein reich! ein volk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

We're all Europeans now.

Plenty of EU flags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Here's what I made with some National Irish Pride yesterday.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

TheZohan wrote: »
    We're all Europeans now.

Plenty of EU flags.

Irish first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Compared to a lot of other cities and generally countries in the world we have a distinct lack of flags on public display. I think Mexico is the most nationally proud country in the world if you were to base such an assertion on flag population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think everyone should have a flag on the front of their house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Also, more party-hats would be the icing on the cake, and more cake as well, and more icing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I was in town last week,

Which town?

a lot more icing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That would mean there would be hell of alot more Polish, Romanian, Chinese Flags on houses to ;)

Yes, I often forget where I am and require a flag to remind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have noticed this in Ireland before also, I can't think of another country I have been to with less national flags on display. Most places you do see one it's flanked by an EU flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Which town?

Dublin town, ya smug bastard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The lack of the tri-colour flying is so that the while flag of surrender can be hoisted up quicker!

Welcome to the too complacent new Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

TheZohan wrote: »
    We're all Europeans now.

Plenty of EU flags.
    We should have both!

Biggins wrote: »
    The lack of the tri-colour flying is so that the while flag of surrender can be hoisted up quicker!

Welcome to the too complacent new Ireland.

You know the French flag has velcro on the Blue and Red parts so that they can be removed quickly in a time of war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dublin town, ya smug bastard.

Understood. Carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

More tricolours.

Less mongs dressed up in leprechaun outfits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Went to Denmark last year and nearly every house and building around Copenhagen had the national flag raised outside. Great to see.

bohsboy wrote: »
    Went to Denmark last year and nearly every house and building around Copenhagen had the national flag raised outside. Great to see.

Traitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Irish first and foremost.

In our hearts.

Europeans ruled by Europe in reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You know the French flag has velcro on the Blue and Red parts so that they can be removed quickly in a time of war.
    Go to google (yahoo doesn't allow this), type in "french military victories" and click the 'I Feel Lucky' button.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's time to go with the tribal flags, now that Ireland's gone Harney pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

bohsboy wrote: »

Why is it great to see? Why be "proud" of the accident of being born in a particular place?

My first thought when see I people displaying national flags is that they're mentally deficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

FLAGS ON EVERY CORNER! FLAGS ON TOP OF FLAGS! SALUTE YOUR FLAG ON THE TURNPIKE AND LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR VEHICLE! THATS HOW WE DO IT IN AMERICA!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Overheal wrote: »
    FLAGS ON EVERY CORNER! FLAGS ON TOP OF FLAGS! SALUTE YOUR FLAG ON THE TURNPIKE AND LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR VEHICLE! THATS HOW WE DO IT IN AMERICA!!!

On my screen that came out as IN AM RI A!!!!

• Advertisement

dmigsy wrote: »
    Why is it great to see? Why be "proud" of the accident of being born in a particular place?

On that thought, people are proud because they were born in a country, yet they didnt have a choice in the matter. Are they delighted to see immigrants come to their country because they were smart enough to know how proud they should be a of a country?

My first thought when see I people displaying national flags is that they're mentally deficient.
    What's mentally deficient about being proud of the people you come from? Nationality is about people more so than places. You should be able to be proud of the community you live in and the friends you have.

Maybe you don't like your friends or family, but that doesn't mean others are mentally deficient because they're proud of their community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

When my school was built first they raised the Irish, EU and School flag every morning and took it down at dusk which was pretty cool, then they started leaving them up all the time, and then stopped putting them up all together. Pity, it looked pretty cool, all schools should do it.

ScumLord wrote: »
    What's mentally deficient about being proud of the people you come from? Nationality is about people more so than places. You should be able to be proud of the community you live in and the friends you have.

Maybe you don't like your friends or family, but that doesn't mean others are mentally deficient because they're proud of their community.

It's possible to be proud without having to display it in flag form. I'll try to translate this into semaphore flag code for you:pac:

It's possible to be proud without having to display it in flag form. I'll try to translate this into semaphore flag code for you:pac:
    But if you do want to display your pride what better way than with one of our delightful flags of Europe? They look nice too, why can't things look nice? It's because of people like you that we can't have nice things. :mad::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I know this is AH and everything, but some of you are disgusting. If you dislike your country that much, then **** off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Overheal wrote: »

I'm with the wee Yank on this one, things could go a little overboard. Why the hell do you need the national flag flying. You're in Ireland and chances are the tourists know where they are too.

National pride.... yadda yadda yadda.......... it's a silly thing. I'm happy being who I am, you should be happy who you are. Forget all this nationalist nonsense. No I don't hate Ireland, we have a great culture and heritage but I won't waste time hyping it up or thinking how great it is to be Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I know this is AH and everything, but some of you are disgusting. If you dislike your country that much, then **** off

Where? Back home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Originally Posted by Overheal viewpost.gif

FLAGS ON EVERY CORNER! FLAGS ON TOP OF FLAGS! SALUTE YOUR FLAG ON THE TURNPIKE AND LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR VEHICLE! THATS HOW WE DO IT Im An IRA!!!

Did anyone else think thats what they saw first time?

Who hates their country?:confused: I dislike nationalism. It rarely leads to good things. Oh yeah, it's AH... your mother and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Where is the dislike exactly? Some people just don't particularly care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Overheal viewpost.gif

FLAGS ON EVERY CORNER! FLAGS ON TOP OF FLAGS! SALUTE YOUR FLAG ON THE TURNPIKE AND LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR VEHICLE! THATS HOW WE DO IT Im An IRA!!!

Did anyone else think thats what they saw first time?
    Yeah I did too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't read. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I like to see the national flag flying as well, it's important to have national pride.

Theres a Superquinn in Blanchardstown that has a big Irish flag flying and fair play to them for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Linku wrote: »
    When my school was built first they raised the Irish, EU and School flag every morning and took it down at dusk which was pretty cool, then they started leaving them up all the time, and then stopped putting them up all together. Pity, it looked pretty cool, all schools should do it.

That is a shame. There's nothing I despise more than a dirty National Flag, treated with disrespect, left flying all night, in tatters. I refuse to give my business anywhere that flies a damaged Irish flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Donny5 wrote: »
    That is a shame. There's nothing I despise more than a dirty National Flag, treated with disrespect, left flying all night, in tatters. I refuse to give my business anywhere that flies a damaged Irish flag.

Do you find many Irish businesses with damaged flags?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Carroll's Irish gift shop has more than a few, I'm guessing. Bloody rubbish.

I like the patriotism shown by the americans the way they have American flags on their houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

superquinn in walkinstown had a huge tri-colour at one point dont know if its still there.

ive started to notice the growing number of european flags been flowing i can understand why and all as we are part of europe but i dnt agree with it replacing our national flag, do we really want to head down the same path as england where national pride is seen as something associated with facist organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 REAL LIFE HOOD

In Germany you wouldn't see national flags, you're more likely to see the region like a Bavarian flag. Same in Ireland. The Irish flag is ****. I'd never put that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

A fair few. Hotels seem to be particularly careless. Hotels and churches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I'd love to see more flags. Put the days of the tri colour being the mark of a Ra head/scumbag behind us.
    In all other countries (not just america) you see flags all over the place. I think Thailand must have the record, they're everywhere in Bangkok

• Advertisement
Advertisement