Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do we need more Irish flags?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm with the wee Yank on this one, things could go a little overboard. Why the hell do you need the national flag flying. You're in Ireland and chances are the tourists know where they are too.

National pride.... yadda yadda yadda.......... it's a silly thing. I'm happy being who I am, you should be happy who you are. Forget all this nationalist nonsense. No I don't hate Ireland, we have a great culture and heritage but I won't waste time hyping it up or thinking how great it is to be Irish.
    exactly. pride is fine and healthy but it can be bent way out of proportion.

The Cowboys new stadium had its grand opening this week - it was celebrated like the superbowl. And then a different typical monday night football game? 30 minutes of pregame fanfare and fireworks - Its monday night football. Can I just watch the game? You wouldnt make this big a deal out of the Premiership finals ffs.

That said putting your flag out on your lawn, isnt going to hurt anybody, and might brighten up the place. Some pride is better than none. Too much doom and gloom on the roads of ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

theres no shortage of them in Limerick city, they are flying high over every bridge in the city and the city centre is full of either limerick or munster flags which i think is pritty cool, shows a bit of patriotism in the city

http://croom.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/strand-hotel-limerick.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterphilip/2147020794/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neville-gawley/3409778585/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_terrible_picture_of_things/368389558/

Fuhrer wrote: »
    This is mein view also, nothing but good comes from national pride.
    post of the week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I noticed this too.. The amount of flag poles not flying a flag! Look at the americans. They have their flag up just about everywhere and on anything!
    It may help tourism :confused:

Maybe the banks can use some nama money to buy a flag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Aye Munster patriotism is strong :) G'wan Munnie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

dmigsy wrote: »
    Why is it great to see? Why be "proud" of the accident of being born in a particular place?

My first thought when see I people displaying national flags is that they're mentally deficient.

:rolleyes: Thats the apathetic response that portays modern Irish people so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xxxLoueeZxxx

I think all national buildings should have Irish flags flying outside but I dont think all houses should... its a bit too American for me....
    I remeber being in Philly a few years back and EVERY HOUSE had a flag flying it just creeped me out it was patriotism gone crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I was in town last week, and I noticed a distinct lack of Irish flags on some of our most historic buildings. Take the Bank of Ireland at College Green for example. This is a beautiful building, but it didn't have any tricolour flying; only a blue Bank of Ireland flag was displayed. Other countries seem to have more pride in displaying their national flag, and it is usually placed on all their landmark buildings.

Anyone else agree that we should have more Irish flags flying on our important buildings?

Surely it takes more than a flag to enhance `national pride`, no? I mean, you can have your lovely old buildings with a tricolour hanging off every spare inch of brick space, but if the surrounding areas are pure filthy, then its going to take more than a flag to brighten it up. You`ve got to look at a bigger picture here.
    And besides, if you take the Union Jack for example, wich has been used on absolutely everything, from Palaces to Y fronts, the symbol of national pride becomes pretty meaningless. It becomes nothing more than a tacky relic.
    Besides, `national pride` these days usually becomes nothing more than a vehicle for thinly veiled racism. You`ve got to be so careful where you go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

There is no such thing as an non-nationalist. Since nationalism is related to culture, language etc that means that Irish people are either Irish nationalists (who like Irish stuff, like the GAA etc.) , English nationalists (who hate the GAA - not just are not interested but hate), and to a certain extent Anglosphere nationalists.

The I Am European stuff is ****. Everytime there is a "I am leaving this country" thread none of our continental neighbours are never mentioned - its always the US, Canada, the UK, or Australia. All firmly within the comfort zone of the supposedly deracianated monolingual Family guy watching, Man united supporting anti-nationalist.

So no European Flags. Our Europeaness is a myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think the problem is that it's a fairly crappy looking flag. There's loads of flags just like it but with different colours. We need to sex it up a bit to make it stand out. Take a look at this:

http://unimaps.com/flags-africa/mozambique-flag.gif

That's a flag you'd salute. Because if you didn't, it'd snap your neck and skullf*ck your still twitching corpse. It's a flag that kicks ass and knows it. We need something like that, that would strike fear into all other countries. Something that shows that Ireland is better than everyone else, like having a picture of Brian Boru cockslapping God or something. I guarantee that that flag would be raised everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Slightly off topic but was it ever figured out who was putting up all the Irish flag stickers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Go to rural areas during GAA season.

Many houses with multiple flags. And the national school will have a flag for every window

Place goes mad, you'll never see more flags then at any other time of the year.

So it can be done

If you're not from a county with GAA success you might not see this ;)

asdasd wrote: »
    There is no such thing as an non-nationalist. Since nationalism is related to culture, language etc that means that Irish people are either Irish nationalists (who like Irish stuff, like the GAA etc.) , English nationalists (who hate the GAA - not just are not interested but hate), and to a certain extent Anglosphere nationalists.

The I Am European stuff is ****. Everytime there is a "I am leaving this country" thread none of our continental neighbours are never mentioned - its always the US, Canada, the UK, or Australia. All firmly within the comfort zone of the supposedly deracianated monolingual Family guy watching, Man united supporting anti-nationalist.

Hang on a sec, I don't like GAA, but don't hate it either. I simply have better things to be getting on with. Why do I have to be shoe horned into a preconception?

You make it sound very black and white. Very, `you`er either for us, or against us`. Do you really think there is no grey areas, or inbetweeners? I mean, I know people who can`t stand gaelic sports, but who`re interested in things like the Irish language, for instance. Does their love of the laguage compensate for their dislike of GAA?
    I myself, am English and have lived happily here for over a decade now. By your definition, I should be the antithesis of all Irishness, an enemy of the state. I like to think I`m not.

Why do I have to be shoe horned into a preconception?

No idea what that means. I am replying to the people who think nationality is a construct, unrelated to ethnicity. That means what you do is what you are.

• Advertisement

By your definition, I should be the antithesis of all Irishness, an enemy of the state. I like to think I`m not.

Where did I say that. Or anything about "enemies"? Most Irish people are part of the AngloSpheric "nation", myself included. I merely deny that there is such a thing as non-nationalism because nationality is culture bound , so the anti-nationalist Irishman is an Angloshpheric nationalist not an anti-nationalist. Because we are all culture bound. This is clear if nationality is seen as a cultural definition, rather than a genetic one. It is the people who claim that Irishness is "cultural" and an accident of birth who rush to defend their Irishness when questioned - yet the only way you can claim Irishness if you dont do culturally Irish things is by ethnicity. It is either cultural, or genetic.

No idea what that means. I am replying to the people who think nationality is a construct, unrelated to ethnicity. That means what you do is what you are.
    Well what you said was
    asdasd wrote:
    that means that Irish people are either Irish nationalists (who like Irish stuff, like the GAA etc.) , English nationalists (who hate the GAA - not just are not interested but hate), and to a certain extent Anglosphere nationalists.

Isn't that saying that you have to be one or the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

I get what you are saying about there being no such thing as a non-nationalist as there, in my opinion, is at least a small part of everybody which is tribal but why are you differentiating between "English nationalists" and "Irish Nationalists" based on the GAA?!!!! "Hate" is a strong word in my view :( Are you trying more so to refer to "British" and some connotation of GAA in the north being linked to the nationalist community and being thus disliked (hated) by some in the Loyalist side? Anyway I disagree to what you said...Im into GAA and dont like the notion you are putting across about people in England who are proud of England (and the flag) "HATING" the GAA!!! Many dont know what it is, many who see it for the first time are fascinated when they see a game on, and there are also many many people playing Gaelic games in England...London even play in the All Ireland Series!!

Back on Topic...I think the Tricolour should be more visible but not in your face like the American example! I find that flags flying outside every persons home in an estate can make somebody from outside the country feel a little uncomfortable in that particular place...Perhaps just during times when National teams are playing in sporting tournaments is enough...

humanji wrote: »
    Well what you said was

Which was the impression I got, and which prompted my response.

alright, fair enough. badly phrased. What I should say is that if nationalism is a cultural construct we are between fully anglospheric and Irish nationalists.

But there is no such thing as a human without some kind of culture, or nationalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

bohsboy wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Thats the apathetic response that portays modern Irish people so well.

Tell me, what do you do for a living?

Everytime I hear that patrotic line its usually from some scummy, Celtic jersey wearing, desperately overweight townie living in a council estate.

If you were truely patrotic youd be doing something worthwhile for your country. Getting a high level of education or running a decent business and employing some Irish people while paying tax to the Irish government.

Even then, how many will jsut give up their time or money to improve the country? Get out and pick up some rubbish thats laying around. Plant some trees on some empty land and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Theres nothin wrong with our flag, and anyone who thinks there is is as much of a dope as Kevin Myers who seems to think that by having a flag with red, white and blue in it that makes you a global power.:rolleyes: What does Britain's flag symbolise? - A union...wow... Now what does our flag symbolise? - peace between Catholics and Protestants. So at least our flag has real meaning, and IMO its better lookin than most flags out there, and its unique as well. AFAIK the only flag like ours out there is the Ivory Coast's.

I think the main reason you don't see as many flags around Ireland compared to other European countries is because we don't feel the need to express our patriotism in that way. The Irish are very patriotic and well known for it, but we don't need flags waving at every corner to show it. We all know we're Irish at the end of the day, theres no need to have sh*t loads of flags flying as if we have something to prove. And I think thats actually good cause the amount of flags yeh see in countries like America and Britain would make any tourist feel uncomfortable, its almost like they're trying to force their patriotism on anyone who visits their country. It also shows they're very insecure as a nation, that they feel the need to fly so many flags to show their national pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Mask wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but was it ever figured out who was putting up all the Irish flag stickers?
    Yeah, apparently it's a film company or something like that. Or some of them were at least. Guiding people up into the Wick mountains.
    Humanji wrote:
    That's a flag you'd salute. Because if you didn't, it'd snap your neck and skullf*ck your still twitching corpse. It's a flag that kicks ass and knows it. We need something like that, that would strike fear into all other countries. Something that shows that Ireland is better than everyone else, like having a picture of Brian Boru cockslapping God or something. I guarantee that that flag would be raised everywhere.
    Too awesome. You sir, nearly made me wet myself with laughter.

Anyway, screw the Irish flag. Fly the Leinster/Connaught etc flag or else the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Quint wrote: »
    I'd love to see more flags. Put the days of the tri colour being the mark of a Ra head/scumbag behind us.
    In all other countries (not just america) you see flags all over the place. I think Thailand must have the record, they're everywhere in Bangkok

Noticed that myself, in fact it's nigh on impossible to not notice it. Just about every public building (gov office, school, hospital, etc) in Thailand flys their national flag. You don't just see one flag outside a building, there's rows of them. And it's not just in the urban areas, it's all over the country even in the villages. Looks cool.
    Then you have all the road-side monuments to the king & queen which also have both flags (state & royal) flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Unfortunately at certain times of the year it would cause problems if I put out a Tricolour in my house.

A few miles away from me, hanging flags out of houses, schools, banks etc. carries more serious consequences.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I myself, am English and have lived happily here for over a decade now. By your definition, I should be the antithesis of all Irishness, an enemy of the state. I like to think I`m not.

You live in Belfast. Thats the UK. Whaddaya on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What you need for more flags to appear is the Irish soccer team to win stuff again or even to do 'well' :D

Anyone remember Euro '88 and Italia '90? Flags were everywhere, even painted on houses!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I like the patriotism shown by the americans the way they have American flags on their houses

I like this aspect of USA too. However, flying a tri-colour on your house in Ireland has negative connotations due to the turbulent past. you;d more than likely have your neighbour looking under his car in the mornings. pity that.
    besides the house thing, the flag should 100% be flown at all Garda stations, post offices, actually all public buildings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I noticed when Brian Cowen was giving his speech after the result of the Lisbon Treaty, there were 2 EU flags and 1 Irish flags displayed on each side of the podium. Interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Who really cares? I'd rather have a functioning healthcare, education and justice system and a job then corcern myself with how many tricolours are visible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I think we do, nothing wrong with a bit of national pride. I spend a bit of time in North Sweden every house there will have a flag flying. Its a shame that if you do that here your viewed as a ra head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Which town?

Unless there's another bank of Ireland in College green in some bogger town it's probably this nations capital that's being referred to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

If you don't like America Ireland, you can geeeettt ouutt!!

134a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishpaddy

I think everyone should have a flag on the front of their house!
    i agree; i have one; great to see it and to hear it flutter in the wind, mind you i would not mind if the fkg. stopped now and again. but we should have more flags; or is going to be seeing as being racist as it is in england.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Fuhrer wrote: »
    You know the French flag has velcro on the Blue and Red parts so that they can be removed quickly in a time of war.
    Best post i've seen in a long long time. Heil heil der Fuhrer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

Bambi wrote: »
    Unless there's another bank of Ireland in College green in some bogger town it's probably this nations capital that's being referred to.

if only i were from ballymun, what pride i would have in all said community has achieved....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

more flags!!! next thing you'll be looking the vote

Advertisement