Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Navigator Europe NT 2010.20

Options
  • 22-09-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea when these are actually going to be available? Am hoping to update my Nuvi 760 and have been hanging on for this update.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Raiser wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when these are actually going to be available? Am hoping to update my Nuvi 760 and have been hanging on for this update.
    i contacted my contact in garmin and was told it could be a month more before its released..... i stressed the point that people purchased the lifetime updates based on garmins " up to 4 updates per year" policy........

i was told that yes its a max of 4...

what a rip off..... the usa map was updated a good few weeks ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Yeah - I was reading various other GPS resources yesterday and there are alot of people who are very seriously pi55ed off with Garmin over this.... Seemingly a lot of the advertising suckered people through choice and not so choice wording.....

- Hope is comes back to bite them......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 btmason

While it is not false advertising, it can be as little as 0 upgrades per year. It is definately misleading, most people will scan read the advertisment instantly and perceive that they are entitled to 4 upgrades per year. they need to re-word the advert.

If they are commited to road safety as they are about the dollar, these upgrades should be more prompt.
    Yeah - I was reading various other GPS resources yesterday and there are alot of people who are very seriously pi55ed off with Garmin over this.... Seemingly a lot of the advertising suckered people through choice and not so choice wording.....

- Hope is comes back to bite them......

Anyone else consider this to be poor form from Garmin?

- Today is October 3rd in fairness...... I wouldn't ever consider signing up to one of their "Suits me, screws you" map update deals :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

The 2010 Lifetime update is now available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

All shops, everywhere, advertise sales as "up to 40% off"

Does that mean you get 40% off everything?
    no, it means you might get 10% off.

With Garmin, up to four updates a year, means you might get one (or zero) updates.

Stop cribbing

eirman wrote: »
    what is it?

T-Square wrote: »
    what is it?

It means that you pay once and you get mapping updates for the life of the product. I've had two updates now so it's already better value the paying for each annual update. The two updates were about nine months apart but I expect that will improve as they now seem to have ironed out any update bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I just checked the Garmin website and it's telling me that 2010.10 is still the latest version.

When I checked a few weeks ago, the dashboard said my maps were up to date. When I tried yesterday, I did get an update, so I reckon a lot of other lifetime users will get some type of update. (My previous and first update was in February and I have been checking every few weeks)

I didn't receive an "update available" email from garmin even though I'm on the list.

Does anyone know where I can see a list of the updates for Irish roads ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Garmin use Navteq mapping as do many others http://www.navteq.com/ Tomtom use TeleAtlas which isn't so good for Ireland

If you click on that link, the map looks like it centres on where you are and it will be the latest Navteq data which is issued quaterly but the Sat Nav companies don't always update that often. I use CoPilot 8 on my PDA, the latest they issue appears to be Q1 2009 and I don't suppose it will be updated until next year.

Garmin users can however buy direct from Navteq if you are that fussy about having latest updates.

All shops, everywhere, advertise sales as "up to 40% off"

Does that mean you get 40% off everything?
    no, it means you might get 10% off.

With Garmin, up to four updates a year, means you might get one (or zero) updates.

Stop cribbing

?

T-Square you're entitled to have low standards and I'm not going to criticise you for it.

- As far as I know Garmin are under pressure to reword some of their advertising on foot of a hail of consumer complaints and threats of legal action.

Personally I think that consumer law/protection from sharp practice is a good thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

btmason wrote: »
    If they are commited to road safety as they are about the dollar, these upgrades should be more prompt.
    What has it got to do with road safety? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

I was recently taking a trip to the USA, driving around LA, down to Vegas and out to the Grand Canyon etc.. I had a look at Garmins update options and decided the the once off update was priced too high for what it is. The lifetime update didnt make sense to take because I know the Garmin device (Nuvi 760T) will be out of date in a few years and there will be newer models with much greater storage and capabilities so I decided not to go for this option.

Unfortunately the 760T whilst it is a recent enough model, it is only designed to work with SD (2GB Limit) and not SD HC (16GB available). I was able to acquire the updated maps quite easily online through torr..... (I dont think refering to that practice or material is allowed here so we wont talk any further about it). Its just 1 file for Europe and 1 File for North America & Mexico. The problem was that I purchased my device for Europe and the new europe maps wouldnt fit onto the device.... I thought that was pretty poor but as I realised I dont need to use my sat nav in Portugeese, Chineese, Russian and god knows what other languages, I just cut the languages off the device onto my PC so I have them in case I ever have a need for a particular language. This freed up enough space to put the new Europe maps on instead on the old maps and then I put the North America & Mexico maps onto a 2GB SD card.

Was delighted to have updated my Europe maps to the latest and upgraded the devices capabilities to include North America & Mexico :) all for free :cool:

the eu update is still not released... where did u hear it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

USER X wrote: »
    Unfortunately the 760T whilst it is a recent enough model, it is only designed to work with SD (2GB Limit) and not SD HC (16GB available).
    Where did you get that info from? My 760T works quite happily with an 8GB SDHC card. There are other limits to do with the maximum size of the .img files that contain the maps like gmapprom.img or gmapsupp.img which do have a maximum size of 2GB, but that's got nothing to do with supporting SDHC or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When I checked a few weeks ago, the dashboard said my maps were up to date. When I tried yesterday, I did get an update, so I reckon a lot of other lifetime users will get some type of update. (My previous and first update was in February and I have been checking every few weeks)

I didn't receive an "update available" email from garmin even though I'm on the list.

Does anyone know where I can see a list of the updates for Irish roads ?
    I just checked online with my 760 and I get the message that my maps (2010.10) are up to date. There was a s/w update but I didn't bother with it as it contained nothing of any importance to me. No email received either, but that's no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

Alun wrote: »
    Where did you get that info from? My 760T works quite happily with an 8GB SDHC card. There are other limits to do with the maximum size of the .img files that contain the maps like gmapprom.img or gmapsupp.img which do have a maximum size of 2GB, but that's got nothing to do with supporting SDHC or not.

According to the product manual (http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/nuvi750-GPS-Atl_OwnersManual.pdf), Page 54 (Technical Specifications):

Data Storage: Internal memory and optional removable SD card. Data stored indefinitely.

Before you try pointing it out, I can see that the URL references the 750 so I went through the German 760 Manual too which has 760 in the URL and down to the tec specs and its the same. My Nuvi 760 just ignored the SDHC card which works fine in my car radio and camera.

Admittedly, there is a possibility that the device will accept a SDHC card after a firmware update which I might try. Ive got my maps on now though so it doesnt seem like theres much point in trying to get the SDHC to work with it, also the FAQ section has questions about the device not turning on or reporting that it is updating firmware when your trying to use it.... sounds like very dodgey firmware updates from Garmin. Ive never had a problem with it in the year and a bit that ive owned it so maybe its best to stay away from the updates.

robinph wrote: »
    What has it got to do with road safety? :confused:

When you are driving a car, you need to concentrate fully on the road. You need to know exactly where you are going. When driving in large cities, lane dicipline is very important, i.e be in the right lane when turning right etc.
    The problem is, with outdated maps you get lost quite easly, start making mistakes (i.e driving in the wrong lane or making dangerous U turns), thus impares your concentration on the road,
    I hope that answer your question.
    The sooner Garmin Europe 2010.20 is out, the better and safer it is for everybody. It is way over due.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When you are driving a car, you need to concentrate fully on the road.
    Agreed.
    You need to know exactly where you are going. When driving in large cities, lane dicipline is very important, i.e be in the right lane when turning right etc.
    The problem is, with outdated maps you get lost quite easly, start making mistakes
    Meh, not really anything to do with safety if your not following your first point.
    (i.e driving in the wrong lane or making dangerous U turns),
    That is bad driving and nothing to do with the GPS. If the GPS is telling you to do something stupid and you do it then it is the driver at fault, not the GPS.
    The sooner Garmin Europe 2010.20 is out, the better and safer it is for everybody. It is way over due.
    GPS does not make the roads safer. GPS does not make you a better driver. All that it does is tell you where you are and give a suggestion as to how to get somewhere else. You should ignore what the GPS tells you to do just as much as you might ignore the screaming kids in the back seat.

I do apologise if I keep coming across as hating GPS. I don't, I have loads of GPS units for different uses and love them. I hate people (car drivers) thinking it is a foolproof system that makes them better drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I would suggest that GPS does have an impact on road safety, but it is a negative impact. GPS receivers only display historical data, and often, inacurrate or misleading historical data. Roads represented that are no longer there, roads that exist but are missing from the maps. These things are very common. As soon as you get new updated maps, they're already out of date, often by as much as 6 months (and for update 2010.20, we could be looking at up to 10 months). Lane information is even more likely to be incorrect than the road infrastructure.

GPS receivers let you know where you are, and based on out of date data, suggest a possible path to guide you to where you are going. The rest is up to the driver. I currently own 4 GPS receivers and am eagerly awaiting the map update.

I would suggest that GPS does have an impact on road safety, but it is a negative impact. GPS receivers only display historical data, and often, inacurrate or misleading historical data. Roads represented that are no longer there, roads that exist but are missing from the maps. These things are very common. As soon as you get new updated maps, they're already out of date, often by as much as 6 months (and for update 2010.20, we could be looking at up to 10 months). Lane information is even more likely to be incorrect than the road infrastructure.

GPS receivers let you know where you are, and based on out of date data, suggest a possible path to guide you to where you are going. The rest is up to the driver. I currently own 4 GPS receivers and am eagerly awaiting the map update.

Fully agreed.
    I know Sat Navs cant keep up to date with the latest road upgrades that take place. But it futile to drive with very old maps.

"GPS does not make the roads safer. GPS does not make you a better driver. All that it does is tell you where you are and give a suggestion as to how to get somewhere else. You should ignore what the GPS tells you to do just as much as you might ignore the screaming kids in the back seat." ROBINPH

Going by what you quote, you should get rid of it. If you had the latest maps, you would trust it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

robinph wrote: »
    That is bad driving and nothing to do with the GPS. If the GPS is telling you to do something stupid and you do it then it is the driver at fault, not the GPS.

I agree with you in princple, but it's not that simple in Eastern Europe. In my other half's city, every second street is one way to the left, and every other street is one way to the right. There's no road signs for this, it's just the norm and accepted. Of course when I was there last month, they had changed a few of the streets, and not told anyone. And as my nav was out of date, I turned the wrong way (No road signs remember) because I couldnt see any cars, and then I had 3 cars bearing down on me.

GPS updates ARE a safety issue. They shouldn't be relied upon as the defacto safety standard obviously, only as a safety aid - common sense should prevail, but there are instances such as the above where an update could prevent some sticky situations.

Fully agreed.
    I know Sat Navs cant keep up to date with the latest road upgrades that take place. But it futile to drive with very old maps.

"GPS does not make the roads safer. GPS does not make you a better driver. All that it does is tell you where you are and give a suggestion as to how to get somewhere else. You should ignore what the GPS tells you to do just as much as you might ignore the screaming kids in the back seat." ROBINPH

Going by what you quote, you should get rid of it. If you had the latest maps, you would trust it more.
    I trust the GPS to tell me where I am, I do not trust that the map shown beneath that location is correct though.
    I trust that the GPS knows where the point where I'm intending to get to is in relation to my current position. I'd generally only be getting directions to points that I have specified myself, not usually addresses I've looked up on the internal maps.

However, I do not trust that the SatNav software knows the best way between those two points and merely take what says as a suggestion when reading the road signs and what is going on around me.

I agree with you in princple, but it's not that simple in Eastern Europe. In my other half's city, every second street is one way to the left, and every other street is one way to the right. There's no road signs for this, it's just the norm and accepted. Of course when I was there last month, they had changed a few of the streets, and not told anyone. And as my nav was out of date, I turned the wrong way (No road signs remember) because I couldnt see any cars, and then I had 3 cars bearing down on me.

GPS updates ARE a safety issue. They shouldn't be relied upon as the defacto safety standard obviously, only as a safety aid - common sense should prevail, but there are instances such as the above where an update could prevent some sticky situations.

Fair play, you said it all for me.
    The sooner Garmin get this update out, the better it is for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

I would suggest that GPS does have an impact on road safety, but it is a negative impact

Driving my motorcycle in Spain this Supper, Garmin Zumo fitted, its actually illegal there to use one on a bike in that country

Not sure if they uphold the law, I used mine all the time

It means that you pay once and you get mapping updates for the life of the product.

I'll bet nobody on this forum can quantify "life of the product"

It could be a little as six months.

I've seen products there were only out 9 months and they were marked as "obsolete", which usually means end of life for a product.

I'll bet nobody on this forum can quantify "life of the product"

It could be a little as six months.

I've seen products there were only out 9 months and they were marked as "obsolete", which usually means end of life for a product.

I could be wrong, but I will give what Im led to believe. While you are the owner of a particular Sat Nav, registered in your name, you are entitled to as many available updates for the physical life of the unit provided you dont sell it or lose it. It is not transferable onto a newer unit. I dont think obsolence comes into this. In theory you could get 20 years updates free if the unit survives that long. I apologise if some of this info is incorrect and open to correction.

this update is available now just downloading it! yipee at last!:D

• Advertisement

Honda08 wrote: »
    this update is available now just downloading it! yipee at last!:D

I downloaded twice last night, with Firefox and Explorer, and got a Fatal error both times. Did you get it to work?

Advertisement