Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic announcements (TA)

• 22-09-2009 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any radio stations in Dublin that take advantage of the TA system available in many car stereo systems? If so, how do I get it going? I've had TA enabled and have never once heard a traffic report except for when I hear it on the station i'm listening to (It never cuts in over anything).

Can anyone advise me? It sounds like a very handy feature.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I could have sworn that years ago, all the major one's took advantage. Now, none of them seem to which is a damn shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dunno about Dublin, but I know that the stations around the Mid-West embed the trigger code into the traffic jingles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

You just press the TA button on your radio and it will switch to whatever station broadcasts the flag.

RTE used it years ago during breakfast and drivetime traffic reports. It's usually just a DTMF tone mixed into the traffic jingle which triggers the RDS encoders TA flag.

Some stations were very naughty and used to trigger it during the day to pull in radios that would not be tuned to them. Of course they would forget to broadcast the release flag or leave it on for extended periods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nobody in Leinster or Munster seems to use it at the moment - I forgot I had it on in my van until BBC Ulster stole my reception during a traffic report a few weeks ago when in Dundalk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

TA in the Republic of Ireland does not work!

There have been previous threads about this a year or two ago, and at that time I had exchanged emails with Conor Faughnan (of the AA) & Gay Byrne re the lack of 'TA' coverage in Ireland . . .

Apparently it was trialed for a period about twelve of fifteen years ago, but so many people complained to RTE that their radio programmes were being rudely interrupted by TA, that RTE switched off the TA feature immediatly, and as a result 'TA' is no longer used Nationwide in the Republic.

The obvious question is "Why wasn't there a public awareness campaign" informing drivers that they did actually have the option of turning the 'TA' facility ON or OFF! (The mind boggles) :rolleyes:

I seem to remember being told that in today's world it would be far too complicated to get agreement amongst all the many radio stations in the Republic as to who would run the thing, ie; who wants their programmes interupted? etc, etc, etc ......................

But how refreshing it is when Up North or in Britain to have regular Treffic Announcements on your radio or CD, they can certainly give you prior warning as to road works/accidents, or traffic delays up ahead. its a great service there, shame we can't have it here too.

Suffice to say > We will not be getting Nationwide 'TA' here anytime soon (if ever) :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

i think red fm cork had it in the early days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭cml387

A rethink is required here. Increasing motorway length means that you can be caught up in a tailback without knowing, as happened to me and other drivers last Monday on the M8 beyond Cahir.

With no electronic signs, there is the necessity for advance warning and TA does this.

Any nationwide station, especially RTE, should supply this service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The main problem I see is deciding who gets to use the TA in any one area otherwise you will have your radio jumping from Radio 1 to 2fm to Today FM to iRadio to whatever local station is receivable throughout breakfast and drive time that in the end most people will probably turn the feature off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Live95 were using it yesterday anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

South East Radio and Beat use it.

Its not the DTMF tone that does it - that is just a way for the playout system to signal the RDS encoder to switch the TA flag on. There are other ways.

Its actually a very useful thing, pity more stations don't use it.

A.

• Advertisement
Advertisement