Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revisions to National Secondary Routes post motorway completion?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering are there any plans or is there any need to review National Secondry route numbers and routes after the major motorways are finished. Just thinking locally would it make sense to down grade the N80 north of tullamore and divert traffic along the N52 to the M6 at Kilbeggan. However I deffinately think the N52 between Birr and Neenagh should be downgraded to an R road. When the M7 is finished it would make sense to use the N62 to Roscrea and onto Limerick on the motorway.

Are there any other areas where R roads should be National Secondry or vice versa.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

tbh i think its no harm to keep routes like the one you mentioned up to a reasonable standard so that there is a decent alternative route to the M-Way available. If the County Council are given responsibility on one of those roads then it will be forgotten about and not maintained properly like it is by the NRA

• Registered Users Posts: 68,526 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dannym08 wrote: »
    tbh i think its no harm to keep routes like the one you mentioned up to a reasonable standard so that there is a decent alternative route to the M-Way available. If the County Council are given responsibility on one of those roads then it will be forgotten about and not maintained properly like it is by the NRA

Many, many R roads are maintained to a far higher standard than national secondaries, which are generally the unloved kids of the NRA...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mysterious on here had a good suggestion regards the N77 i.e. upgrade the links to the new M8 beyond Durrow as N77.

Also I would like to see the new Athy link road to M9, the R747, be redesignated to N78, and the existing N78 between Athy & Kilcullen revert to an R designation.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

dannym08 wrote: »

I agree but in the case of the N52 between Birr and Neenagh (with the exceptions of some parts) its not a fit route for a national secondry. With the M7 complete it would be safer to route this traffic on to the N62 as there is practically no chance of improvements to the n52 for years.

As regards some Regional roads been a higher standard than some N roads is there a case for more national planning of the R road network. Just because council A has money to spend on particular R road who is to say that this is the best use of the money especially when council B ignores the same R road in its area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Hi all i am not sure if this is the correct spot for this question but i didnt want to open a new thread. I had to travel to dundalk today and was wondering why is the traffic sent up the n52 at ardee and not the link road to the m1 which seams a lot safer and quicker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

roadmaster wrote: »
    Hi all i am not sure if this is the correct spot for this question but i didnt want to open a new thread. I had to travel to dundalk today and was wondering why is the traffic sent up the n52 at ardee and not the link road to the m1 which seams a lot safer and quicker?
    N52 was detrunked between Ardee and Dundalk a few months ago so traffic now goes via N33

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Some one may tell louth co co as N52 signs in ardee still there directing traffic also motorway signs just outside dundalk telling traffic to get off m1 for n52 if going to mullingar and not via n33

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

roadmaster wrote: »
    Some one may tell louth co co as N52 signs in ardee still there directing traffic also motorway signs just outside dundalk telling traffic to get off m1 for n52 if going to mullingar and not via n33
    Seems to be a bit slow across the country. The R137 signs for the detrunked former N81 inside the M50 only appeared over the past few weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

nordydan wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit slow across the country. The R137 signs for the detrunked former N81 inside the M50 only appeared over the past few weeks.
    I'd let that go, though, as re-signing all the detrunked routes inside the M50 is a lot of work (and should never have been done anyway).

The N52 at Dundalk is different, as that was detrunked ages ago. But if the Dundalk-Ardee bit is detrunked, what would you call the part of the N52 that runs east of Dundalk? That would need to be downgraded too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭SeanW

fairly sure that's gone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

what would you call the part of the N52 that runs east of Dundalk? That would need to be downgraded too?

This is now the R132.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭veryangryman

ardmacha wrote: »

This is now the R132.
    So what do you call the road that runs through the town centre then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

So what do you call the road that runs through the town centre then?

Clanbrassil St!!

I think this is now the R215, having been the T1, N1, R132 in the past.

Advertisement