Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

java on ubuntu 8.10

Options
  • 22-09-2009 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I have a netbook with the os ubuntu 8.10, I want to do java programming on it so i need a java compilor, appletviewer etc. basically to install jre, jdk but when i try to install them it says i need to choose a program to open it with...so i tried the apt-get way and i dont think i have the right code because i couldnt access the archives...:confused: can anyone tell me step by step what i need to do, preferably the apt-get method. thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Can you not use Synaptic to get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Marina-anseo2

I used this command : apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    it seems to work until it tries connecting and then it says something like cannot access archives try apt-get update...which i did and it said the same thing again when trying to connect. Maybe its a problem with my connection? I'm using eircom wireless broadband which isnt particularly fast but i managed to install lamp using a 3 dongle so it shouldnt be a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

did u try:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Marina-anseo2

I typed su first then my password so i was in root... i tried what you said anyway but its the same result... " Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Another vote for using the GUI :)

Seeing as you've already su'd into root, try:
    apt-get update

first to update your repo info and then
    apt-get install sun-java6-jre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Hes gonna want the jdk rather than jre if doing dev work

• Registered Users Posts: 37 majestic0110

All you need to do is open terminal
    >
    $ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

If you are looking for an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) I might recommend NetBeans, which is developed by Sun Microsystems and free. I know that it works with no trouble at all on Ubuntu 9.04(Jaunty) as I have been using it myself. I am also under the impression that it works fine on Ubuntu 8.10 too. This can easily be installed using the package manager utility. An alternative to NetBeans is Eclipse which can also be found in the package manager.
    I hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

+1 for Netbeans, particularly if you're learning Java. I personally use Eclipse as it has a GWT plugin, and its great, but I'd prefer Netbeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 majestic0110

Evil Phil wrote: »
    +1 for Netbeans, particularly if you're learning Java. I personally use Eclipse as it has a GWT plugin, and its great, but I'd prefer Netbeans.

Yeah, I am particularly fond of NetBeans myself, simply because I have used it most and it covers all the things I require from an IDE. One thing though, I never use the drag & drop functionality of the GUI builder though - nasty code generation, that you can't edit !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

sounds like you only have access to local universe.. probably need to turn global universes in synaptics on.. or find the apt-get command for turning them on through term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You might need to update the repository list - this might help

Advertisement