Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gael Poll answers on Lisbon2: 59% NO vs. 41% YES

Options
  • 22-09-2009 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Not sure if this is a repost, apologies if it is.

Gael Poll answers on Lisbon2: 59% NO vs. 41% YES

http://www.teameurope.info/node/603

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Spotted first at the Politics.ie forum and forwarded with utmost delight:

what the hell?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    what the hell?

The shrills have invented their own poll for a morale boost.

no seriously any link to the actual organisation. Google search throws up libertas and politics.ie and ukip talking about it but I cant find any links to the crowd themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dyslecsic Sceptics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 isocket

marco_polo wrote: »
    The shrills have invented their own poll for a morale boost.

Please sir/madam, read the link article.

"The last Gael Poll which was published in the Irish Sun (June 4th 2008) accurately predicted that the Lisbon Treaty would be defeated by a margin of 54 % for the No side versus 46% for Yes campaigners. On the day of the count -which took place nine days later- the actual result was 53.4% No and 46.6 % Yes. The uncanny poll prediction which was out by only a half a percent was the most accurate poll in the country."

Your on the ropes !

• Advertisement

looks like i am not the only one lost for answers

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2009/09/22/could-the-gael-poll-be-an-elaborate-hoax/

I cant even find their last poll that they did for the first referendum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rope a dope?

irish sun website

http://www.irishsun.com/

no archive function from what I can see sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

This might give us some insight into 'Gael Poll' - http://www.teameurope.info/node/409
    A new opinion poll shows that 70% of people do not want a rerun of the Lisbon Treaty. The poll also shows that if a new treaty was forced upon the electorate that it would end up being heavily defeated.

The poll was carried out by former staff members of the Catholic Hibernian magazine, who have now set up their own non-profit social affairs research organization Gael Poll.

Famously the last Hibernian opinion poll which was published in the Irish Sun (June 4th) accurately predicted that the Lisbon Treaty would be defeated by a margin of 54 % for the No side versus 46% for Yes campaigners.

On the day of the count -which took place nine days later- the actual result was 53.4% No and 46.6 % Yes.

The uncanny poll prediction which was out by only a half a percent was the most accurate poll in the country.

At the time more established and heavily funded opinion polls were all over the place, and indicating that the Lisbon Treaty would be passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I was reading a Slugger O'Toole post on this:
    Slugger has just had sight of some polling figures, done by Gael Poll for tomorrow’s Irish Sun that suggests that big soft ‘don’t know’ may not be as soft as the Irish Times polling has been suggesting. On a nation wide sample of 1500 and in answer to some pretty straightforward questions, the figures they get are 59% NO ‘V’ 41% YES. Now those are flat figures, no weighting and the methodology so far as we can tell is pretty unconventional… But…

Update: Ladbrokes now only 7/2 NO.

The last Gael Poll which was published in the Irish Sun (June 4th 2008) accurately predicted that the Lisbon Treaty would be defeated by a margin of 54 % for the No side versus 46% for Yes campaigners. On the day of the count -which took place nine days later- the actual result was 53.4% No and 46.6 % Yes.

Talking to both yes and no camps, we reckon it’s much, much closer than that… In fact, it looks like there is still a slight advantage to the YES camp… Time will tell whether this survey is indicating another ‘black swan’, or a nasty swerve ball to try and put the opposition off their stride… 10 days until the end, when the plain people of Ireland get to pronounce on the fate of the Lisbon Treaty…

But then - today:
    Slugger ‘got’ by partisan Euro ‘pollster’...

So what happened to Slugger’s great ‘scoop’ of last night? Well, first thing I tune into “What is says in the Papers” on Morning Ireland and… well, nothing… Then I go and look at the thread, and Dewi reports Mike Smithson at Political Betting (who’s parted with £100 on the strength of the same ‘tip off’ I got) is now suspicious its an elaborate hoax…

So I give the guy I spoke to at Gael Poll last night, Tom Prenderville, who points out to me that he never said it was going to be into today’s Sun… but stands over absolutely the fact that the paper ran with a similar poll last year… What I had was a press release sent out to all the major tabloid publications in Ireland and all the significant No campaigners… Most of them, it seems, had the good sense not to touch it with a barge-pole…

So that strange methodology I mentioned last night (and which should have triggered my own good sense)... The researchers were friends of the organisers who in turn interviewed people in their social groups, paying some attention to the spread of social class… It is, in effect a huge straw poll of the friends of Gael Poll, a derivative project of a pretty extreme ultramontane Catholic magazine, The Hibernian. In other words, if it measures anything accurately it has to be of the attitude of social groups surrounding one extremely anti Lisbon group indeed.

That is not in anyway an accurate measure of the national mood on Lisbon. That they got it dead on last time, may only be an indication of how their hinterland of folk matched that national mood, and perhaps something the journalists on the Sun may have been able to read across from their own instincts and soundings.

That they haven’t touched it this year suggest that attitudes may have hardened against those near the extreme of the debate, and the ‘polls’ more extreme variance from the national polling averages. But also that it is just as tight as both yes and no camps suspect…

So, as I have often rather pompously intoned in the past, speed kills. Sitting on the sharp end of what I thought was a good story, I neglected to do what I have often done in similar situations in the past: get a second sane opinion. That every newsroom in Dublin had the same story and saw through it demonstrates, that it’s not always the MSM that gets things wrong.

It appears Slugger is not impressed.

Tom Prenderville, of course, is the author of the €200bn in fish story. It's interesting to find him working for Hibernian magazine, which, in turn, is a Catholic-right outlet that ran several glorifications of Declan Ganley last year...

As to the swing in the No odds at the various bookies, it appears that they're the result of this "poll", as per the experience of Mike Smithson that Slugger refers to:
    Have I just wasted £100?

Yesterday evening I got a call and an email purporting to be from the UKIP press office alerting me to a poll that was just coming out showing the the NO campaign in the Irish Lisbon referendum had taken a substantial lead.

It was said that before the 2008 referendum the same pollster had had a survey in the Irish Sun which had produced a prediction, within one percent, of the final result.

I was urged to make contact with the man behind the Gael Poll who would explain the methodology.

A search of Google could not find any news organisation that was putting out these numbers. Seven hours later, (at the time of writing it’s now 2am), I still cannot find any independent verification. The search page above shows what happened when I put “Gael Poll” into Google news search.

Alas after the “poll” was being discussed on the previous thread I did put £100 on at 11/2 on a NO victory with PaddyPower. That might turn out to be pretty foolish for on reflection it does seem odd that the leading Irish bookie was still prepared to lay such a bet at that price.

The polls that have been published in the Irish media are all suggesting a solid YES victory.

So, this appears, if you'll pardon my saying so, straight out of the dirty tricks department - and some people, like Mike Smithson, would probably have good grounds to sue for material damages.

Today, instead, the odds on a No have swung back the other way - possibly on foot of the realisation that a campaign that needs to resort to this kind of shady dealing is a campaign on the ropes.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

isocket wrote: »
    Please sir/madam, read the link article.

"The last Gael Poll which was published in the Irish Sun (June 4th 2008) accurately predicted that the Lisbon Treaty would be defeated by a margin of 54 % for the No side versus 46% for Yes campaigners. On the day of the count -which took place nine days later- the actual result was 53.4% No and 46.6 % Yes. The uncanny poll prediction which was out by only a half a percent was the most accurate poll in the country."

Your on the ropes !

Any links?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Scofflaw wrote: »

Today, instead, the odds on a No have swung back the other way - possibly on foot of the realisation that a campaign that needs to resort to this kind of shady dealing is a campaign on the ropes.

You corrected me earlier about campaigning?
    The polls that have been published in the Irish media are all suggesting a solid YES victory.

The entire Irish mainstream media is on the yes side.
    This is a David & Goliah battle & by God the No vote will win again!

You corrected me earlier about campaigning?

The entire Irish mainstream media is on the yes side.

Any links to the poll done last year?

Seen this on Politics.ie earlier and it seems that this is the only back up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Why is it that I feel like i'm on the minority side if its such a david vs goliath battle. What has the yes side done that has completely outclassed the no campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

The actual naming of the poll, "Gael" ... is it intended to be self-affirming in some way? i.e. it suggests itself as representative of women's opinions as to whether to kick Gael out of bed for eating crisps?

I opened this thread.
    Perhaps what I should have titled it is - Boards.ie & Gael Poll show lead for No Vote in Lisbon Treaty.

Now, who on the yes side will dare argue that Boards.ie are contacting their No friends to vote No on the Boards.ie poll?

This is the type of ridiculous arguments being put forward by Yes voters in this & other threads concerning polling in this referendum.

The Yes side are on the ropes, you are losing the debate & the Irish public are not idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Members on politics.ie, a very anti Lisbon website, told people to sign up here and "make their voices heard". We had a huge influx of people with a few posts spreading bullsh!t all over the forum. It's safe to say they bumped up the no's significantly

But I wouldn't instantly dismiss a poll that showed a no leading, it's not beyond the realms of possibility. I dismiss this one because dismissal is clearly the correct course of action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I opened this thread.
    Perhaps what I should have titled it is - Boards.ie & Gael Poll show lead for No Vote in Lisbon Treaty.

Now, who on the yes side will dare argue that Boards.ie are contacting their No friends to vote No on the Boards.ie poll?

This is the type of ridiculous arguments being put forward by Yes voters in this & other threads concerning polling in this referendum.

The Yes side are on the ropes, you are losing the debate & the Irish public are not idiots.
    So, should a Yes come through on October 2nd, you will maintain that the Irish people are not idiots...right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

[QUOTE=isocket;62225432
    ]
    The Yes side are on the ropes, you are losing the debate & the Irish public are not idiots.[/QUOTE]

Just because people with anti-EU agendas won't shut the fcuk up lying doesn't mean they're winning the debate. They might succeed in tricking the Irish people if they repeat their lies often enough but they are by no stretch of the imagination winning the debate.

You better hope the Irish people are idiots because it's the only way the no side will win

Rb wrote: »
    So, should a Yes come through on October 2nd, you will maintain that the Irish people are not idiots...right?

Of course I will.
    However, unlike the Yes campaigners who are proving themselves incapable of accepting the result of the first referendum, I would interpret that should a yes vote occur on October 2nd, that the Irish public were treated like idiots by the entire political/religious/corporate/entertainment/media establishment & buckled under the pressure.
    Unfortunately, this has happened before to an old & wise people like the Irish & doubtless it could happen again.
    Should this occur, I will return to the allegory of The Cave & it's shadows ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I opened this thread.

Well, that post certainly has 'winner' written all over it. The boards.ie poll is unrepresentative of anywhere except boards.ie - and maybe not even that (thanks FutureTaoiseach). The Gael Poll is similarly unrepresentative. If they're right, it will be by a fluke. That's why this hasn't been published anywhere - it's rubbish.

[EDIT]It has since been published in the Daily Mail and the Irish Sun - which doesn't, I'm afraid change my opinion either of the poll, or those papers.[/EDIT]

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Since we're posting random, unrepresentative polls, here's a boards one that looks promising for the Yes side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

How does that proves it legit??? It just mentions it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    How does that proves it legit??? It just mentions it.

It proves that it's not bluff. I don't read too much into polls myself whether it's for yes or no. The reality is that October 2nd is the only poll that counts.

It proves that it's not bluff. I don't read too much into polls myself whether it's for yes or no. The reality is that October 2nd is the only poll that counts.

All it proves is that the journalist did not do a very good job checking his sources. This poll has yet to be published anywhere. Until such time as it is, we should not pay any attention to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

http://blogs.libertas.eu/ireland/tag/gael-poll/

As I said, shrills. Half expecting it to appear in the European Edition of the Wall Street Journal next, for the final act of legitimacy for the poll.

This one is more reliable apparently, because unlike the other polls it asks people how are they are going to vote on the Lisbon Treaty.

Anyways I am off to to some on the ground research at Oktoberfest for a few days. I am a bit aprehensive that I will be mobbed by Europeans begging me to save them from their sham democracies, but it is a chance I am willling to take. See you in five days suckers. :pac:

marco_polo wrote: »
    Anyways I am off to to some on the ground research at Oktoberfest for a few days. I am a bit aprehensive that I will be mobbed by Europeans begging me to save them from their sham democracies, but it is a chance I am willling to take. See you in five days suckers. :pac:

Prost!

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    All it proves is that the journalist did not do a very good job checking his sources. This poll has yet to be published anywhere. Until such time as it is, we should not pay any attention to it.

You are not going to find it published in the mainstream media since they are all on the yes side, that should be quite obvious at this stage, surely.

Again, Gael Poll, have proven to be correct on the last referendum, they may well be again ;)

• Advertisement

Again, Gael Poll, have proven to be correct on the last referendum, they may well be again ;)

Still awaiting a source on their poll last year. It shouldn't be that hard to find.

Surely just like you posted this thread and it is on p.ie, libertas etc., there must be a link to last years poll published in the Sun?

Otherwise, all we are relying on, is their word!

It must have been big news last year, going against the "mainstream" polls.

Advertisement