Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gael Poll answers on Lisbon2: 59% NO vs. 41% YES

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

K-9 wrote: »
    Still awaiting a source on their poll last year. It shouldn't be that hard to find.

Surely just like you posted this thread and it is on p.ie, libertas etc., there must be a link to last years poll published in the Sun?

earliest mention I can find is: http://www.teameurope.info/node/409

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Just because people with anti-EU agendas won't shut the fcuk up lying doesn't mean they're winning the debate. They might succeed in tricking the Irish people if they repeat their lies often enough but they are by no stretch of the imagination winning the debate.

You better hope the Irish people are idiots because it's the only way the no side will win

Don't you love it when a yes voter calls the no side liars. No argument, no rational debate, no putting forward of the facts as they see them - they just stamp their feet, scowl and says anyone who doesn't agree with them are telling lies.

If Brian Cowen has the gall to call for Lisbon III, I hope the yes side will have learned before the debate begins how to make a decent argument and not descend again to argumentum ad hominem which merely shows that you cannot defeat your opponent in a debate and resort to personal remarks and name calling instead

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I've seen a claim that the Gael Poll one came out in the Irish Sun on June 4th last year, but the nearest match I could find in The Sun archives is a poll talked about by The Sun on June 7th last year:
    The shock survey has revealed that 35 per cent of the Irish intend to vote “No” in the referendum.

That compares to just 30 per cent in favour – and the “No” vote has doubled in just three weeks.

35/65 = 53.8% No

That might be it, but here's RTE from the 5th of June:
    The latest opinion poll on the Lisbon Referendum is showing the 'No' side surging ahead in a dramatic reversal of opinion.

The TNS/mrbi poll in tomorrow's Irish Times shows opponents of the Treaty with a 5% lead over those in favour.

Up to now, opinion polls on the Referendum campaign have consistently shown the 'Yes' side ahead, although opponents have been closing the gap.

But now the 'No' side has done more than that, surging into a commanding lead with just a week to polling day.

The poll shows the 'Yes' side at 30%, down five points since their last poll three weeks ago, while the 'No' side is at 35%, up a staggering 17%, with 'Don't Knows' down 12 at 35%.

That makes it pretty likely that the one The Sun is talking about there on the 7th is the MRBI on the 6th. The Sun doesn't mention any other recent polls - instead this is a "shock survey".

Perhaps someone can dig up a copy of the paper edition of the June 4th Irish Sun. Otherwise, this story grows more fantastical by the hour.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Everyone should go out and vote.

Never mind these polls.

I've seen a claim that the Gael Poll one came out in the Irish Sun on June 4th last year, but the nearest match I could find in The Sun archives is a poll

Well its meant to be the irish sun (linked to their website in an earlier post) but they have no archives nor a means to contact them so I guess the british sun is the next best source if they are sharing resources. But I think someone said earlier that the irish sun is owned by a different company.

Ghost.ie If you are so confident that *yes* voters dont back up their arguments and provide facts, I assume you'll have no problem representing the no side in the boards.ie debates. Note its not modded by the politics mods, so you wont have to fear *bias* since the admins would be modding it (and if I remember correctly and I might be wrong but Devore was a no voter in the first referendum.) so if the facts and truth are on your side I see no downside to you coming and giving them a whopping eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I've seen a claim that the Gael Poll one came out in the Irish Sun on June 4th last year, but the nearest match I could find in The Sun archives is a poll talked about by The Sun on June 7th last year:

35/65 = 53.8% No

That might be it, but here's RTE from the 5th of June:

That makes it pretty likely that the one The Sun is talking about there on the 7th is the MRBI on the 6th. The Sun doesn't mention any other recent polls - instead this is a "shock survey".

Perhaps someone can dig up a copy of the paper edition of the June 4th Irish Sun. Otherwise, this story grows more fantastical by the hour.

amused,
    Scofflaw

I remember that MRBI poll alright. It was the first to show a big swing to the No side.

Strange. I mean this poll is on here, p.ie and the Libertas site but nobody can find any reference to last years one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

I was pretty astounded when I first saw this poll, yet reassured by the fact that only vigilant no campaigners were the only ones touting it.

Smacks of bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Does the website www.irishsun.com have anything to do with the newspaper? In style, content, fontsize, the presense of google ads etc it looks totally different to all editions of the paper and the papers main website. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/

I think this is just clever use of words, they can say that something was published in Irish Sun and people take it to mean a high distribution newspaper, whereas it's just a two bob website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Does the website www.irishsun.com have anything to do with the newspaper? In style, content, fontsize, the presense of google ads etc it looks totally different to all editions of the paper and the papers main website. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/

I think this is just clever use of words, they can say that something was published in Irish Sun and people take it to mean a high distribution newspaper, whereas it's just a two bob website.

Well it's
    copyright© Midwest Radio Network Ltd 2002 - 2009. All rights reserved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

While we're on the subject of polls of representative sections of voters, there looks to be massive support amongst farmers for Lisbon- 80% compared to about 40% prior to Lisbon I. That's a huge jump in support.

That Gael Poll is clearly ridiculous to anyone with an ounce of common sense. And I'm not sure if it's laughable or just pathetic the way some No supporters are creaming themselves over the results of that poll and the various boards.ie polls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

check the Internet archive for sun poll page I imagine.

just did...no such luck it seems :(

though I am curious if the poll on osama bin ladin on the website was previously about lisbon?

Could be the source :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Well, that post certainly has 'winner' written all over it. The boards.ie poll is unrepresentative of anywhere except boards.ie - and maybe not even that (thanks FutureTaoiseach). The Gael Poll is similarly unrepresentative. If they're right, it will be by a fluke. That's why this hasn't been published anywhere - it's rubbish.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    It was published in the Daily Mail Tuesday and the Irish Sun on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kn wrote: »
    It was published in the Daily Mail Tuesday and the Irish Sun on Wednesday.

you mean the same newspaper that had a campaign for the introduction of the cervical cancer vaccine as soon as possible in Ireland while simultaneously running a campaign against its introduction in the UK because of supposed side effects?

http://www.thedailydust.co.uk/2009/04/16/daily-mail-campaign-targets-daily-mail-campaign/

A reliable source I'm sure

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We can top that for accuracy. Last time out our poll was within 0.1% of the final tally. Spooky.

I wouldnt be complacent if I were in the Yes camp. (I'm not in any camp by the way.)

DeV.

Advertisement