Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosting Alcohol Content

• 22-09-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

With my first brew I used a 1.5 Kg Youngs Harvest Lager Kit with a Kg of Light Spraymalt.

OG was 1.040 checked the SG yesterday and got 1.024
    in my instruction manual it says bottle when 65% of sugar has been fermented so then 35% of 1.040 is 1.014.. means i get an ABV of 3.4%.
    Thats pretty low is there any ways of boosting ABV in the future, like adding more spray malt or table sugar ( i hear it ruins the flavor when added) if so how much do i add? or can i just leave it untill the SG falls lower?

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

That kit really should finish nearer to 1010 although it could finish higher. You will get about 0.5% extra alcohol when bottling anyway. The handiest way to check the gravity of the beer is to put a sanitised hydrometer into the fermenter. Mix up some steriliser and water then sanitise your hand and the hydrometer.Rinse your hand and thermometer under tap and gently put hydrometer in the fermenter. Now you can easily take reading. Make sure your hand is sanitised and rinsed if you need to turn hydrometer to get reading.

Advertisement