Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Drogheda Dublin rd area wots ur modem sync speed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

cerbeus wrote: »
    Looks like there are more upgrades to be done on the Eircom exchange(s) in Drogheda over the coming days.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=56&E=0000000000203573893&K=1348&SXI=10&case=8109&branch=4

Thats good news. Wonder how many of the exchanges are going to be covered.

Any idea which exchange WH is on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

WH is served by the main Drogheda one on Patrick St. I think I mentioned that already.

The upgrades going on won't make a difference to the reliability issues and the small connection speeds in Wheaton Hall etc. They're about improving the main connections to the exchange itself so it doesn't slow down in the evenings as much. If your line is too long, the upgrades won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

As I mentioned earlier though my speed has doubled from 3Mb to 6Mb, there is still a slow down in the evenings and that varies from 1Mb to 3Mb.

So maybe the further upgrades will as to_be_confirmed has said improve the evening slow down speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

WH is served by the main Drogheda one on Patrick St. I think I mentioned that already.

Thanks - must have missed that on a previous page.
    The upgrades going on won't make a difference to the reliability issues and the small connection speeds in Wheaton Hall etc. They're about improving the main connections to the exchange itself so it doesn't slow down in the evenings as much. If your line is too long, the upgrades won't change that.

Ah shoot, well we live in hope :(!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

Quick update:

After many calls to Vodafone, and many promised Eircom engineer visits with 'will phone before visiting', and number of mysterious 'eircom engineer called, no body to allow access to premises' notes, to and fro, nail biting and self mutilation and similar other stress-related incidents later... today was the day when I had the fortune to actually meet an Eircom engineer in person! I was as excited as David Attenborough meeting a proper dinosaur!! :D

That excitement was short lived however - because the Eircom God person couldn't figure out what's causing this. He installed a master plug (which was missing), plugged in his own modem, and it couldn't hold a DSL session for more than 2 seconds. He installed a filter on the master plug, and said 'good luck' and left. In fairness he was very helpful, and he said I am connected to Patrick St exchange, although both Colpe Cross and Donor Industrial Estate ones' are nearer (why oh why ffs!!!).

Then after two hours of blissful uninterrupted internet magic (!!!), it's started dropping connections again! :( Rang Vodafone, who quickly degraded my pitiful 3mb connection to an even worse 2mb! SpeedTest.net is showing a brutal 1.6mbps!! I just hope this holds - praying to all gods of the Interwebs..! :o

Well, 2 mbps connection is very underrated really - it's plenty fast..!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

positron wrote: »
    Quick update:

After many calls to Vodafone, and many promised Eircom engineer visits with 'will phone before visiting', and number of mysterious 'eircom engineer called, no body to allow access to premises' notes, to and fro, nail biting and self mutilation and similar other stress-related incidents later... today was the day when I had the fortune to actually meet an Eircom engineer in person! I was as excited as David Attenborough meeting a proper dinosaur!! :D

That excitement was short lived however - because the Eircom God person couldn't figure out what's causing this. He installed a master plug (which was missing), plugged in his own modem, and it couldn't hold a DSL session for more than 2 seconds. He installed a filter on the master plug, and said 'good luck' and left. In fairness he was very helpful, and he said I am connected to Patrick St exchange, although both Colpe Cross and Donor Industrial Estate ones' are nearer (why oh why ffs!!!).

Then after two hours of blissful uninterrupted internet magic (!!!), it's started dropping connections again! :( Rang Vodafone, who quickly degraded my pitiful 3mb connection to an even worse 2mb! SpeedTest.net is showing a brutal 1.6mbps!! I just hope this holds - praying to all gods of the Interwebs..! :o

Well, 2 mbps connection is very underrated really - it's plenty fast..!! :rolleyes:

no chance of you being moved to a different exchange, you have a better chance of winning euromillions than that happening.

its shocking in this day and age, in a big town and you cant get decent speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

im near beamore road, not far from the Dublin road.

849776060.png

Darksaga87, how old is your phone line to the house? Do you know if you are on Patrick St exchange, or some other one?

New estates, wired to new exchanges seems to get the best connection, where as old estates like mine (WH) connected to old far away exchanges I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Darksaga87, how old is your phone line to the house? Do you know if you are on Patrick St exchange, or some other one?

New estates, wired to new exchanges seems to get the best connection, where as old estates like mine (WH) connected to old far away exchanges I think.

Silk Park. Phone was only set up when i got BB about 2 months ago.

The exchange up here i think, is just beside the entrance to meadowview.

Ah new estate, new phone line, new exchange. That explains!

Why wouldn't they switch people to nearer exchanges now that the new exchanges have been set up? I wonder if there's any technical challenges in doing so..?!

• Advertisement

Ah new estate, new phone line, new exchange. That explains!

Why wouldn't they switch people to nearer exchanges now that the new exchanges have been set up? I wonder if there's any technical challenges in doing so..?!

yes €€€€ they need to have a cable run from your house to new exchange
    no chance of that.

ingen wrote: »
    yes €€€€ they need to have a cable run from your house to new exchange
    no chance of that.

Really? I would have thought they have some sort of main line that is providing for a particular area (in my case Wheaton Hall), which they can re-route to one of the newer exchanges. It should be as simple as switching a handful of cables in one of the boxes somewhere, and the complicated part would be identifying the exact cables to switch / and configuring the exchanges to handle the new numbers accordingly.

I wouldn't have thought there's one line from each house to the exchange - but then again we are talking about Eircom, so who knows..!! :D

Really? I would have thought they have some sort of main line that is providing for a particular area (in my case Wheaton Hall), which they can re-route to one of the newer exchanges. It should be as simple as switching a handful of cables in one of the boxes somewhere, and the complicated part would be identifying the exact cables to switch / and configuring the exchanges to handle the new numbers accordingly.

I wouldn't have thought there's one line from each house to the exchange - but then again we are talking about Eircom, so who knows..!! :D

well it depends, what part of WH are you in, if you dont mind me asking.
    WH was started to be built in 1993, so cabling might not be great. and WH runs almost parrallel to the dublin road up as far as Roschoill, so phone lines might be long!

Near the bottom end of WH, these houses were built in 1996.

Near the bottom end of WH, these houses were built in 1996.

ok, the line quality of phone lines in WH doesent appear to be great.
    if you are after 7mb+ dont hold your breath. in a lot of WH 3mb is the top speed.. the cabling runs along under the footpath from the WH entrance, so your line is prob about 4km long .. contact local TD's etc and they will chase eircom up... put some heat on them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm 95% sure that Meadowview and the Beamore area are served by the DAHA exchange, where the eircom depot is in the Donore Industrial estate. Eircom haven't bothered installing FTTC except in a few trial areas in Dublin or else for housing estates built within the last 4 years. The only exchanges that were built for estates in Drogheda were for Grange Rath, Deepforde and Gleann Alainn in Tullyallen. According to eircom's list of exchanges.

Eircom have re-routed some main cables to the donore road exchange but that's only been done for a handful of cabinets on the southside of the town. It's a very labour and time intensive job, not to mention the cost of using new 400 pair cables over a distance of a km or two and possibly the need to lay extra pipes underground to contain the cables.

I'm 95% sure that Meadowview and the Beamore area are served by the DAHA exchange, where the eircom depot is in the Donore Industrial estate. Eircom haven't bothered installing FTTC except in a few trial areas in Dublin or else for housing estates built within the last 4 years. The only exchanges that were built for estates in Drogheda were for Grange Rath, Deepforde and Gleann Alainn in Tullyallen. According to eircom's list of exchanges.

Eircom have re-routed some main cables to the donore road exchange but that's only been done for a handful of cabinets on the southside of the town. It's a very labour and time intensive job, not to mention the cost of using new 400 pair cables over a distance of a km or two and possibly the need to lay extra pipes underground to contain the cables.

here is an update for anyone interested Grangerath area

work in relation to Grangerath and the Colpe Cross exchange that covers Grangerath will be completed this weekend and will be available to order from Eircom on Monday 21st of June.

All that says I am going to be stuck with a 2mbps connection for foreseeable future. :( I am going to have to spend some time and come up with a solution for this, as faster internet access is important for me today, and I will be at serious disadvantage in coming years with current setup. :(

On the plus side, at 2 mbps, the line is holding connection and it's not dropping like it used to, which is just brilliant! :)

All that says I am going to be stuck with a 2mbps connection for foreseeable future. :( I am going to have to spend some time and come up with a solution for this, as faster internet access is important for me today, and I will be at serious disadvantage in coming years with current setup. :(

On the plus side, at 2 mbps, the line is holding connection and it's not dropping like it used to, which is just brilliant! :)

i am pretty sure you might be able to get digiweb metro.
    as a few houses in WH have the little white internet box on their aerial
    ( or it could be irish broabands box either ) at the moment that is your only option for a faster reliable speed.

its a shame in this day and age that we are stuck with the likes of crappy DSL on crappy long phone lines.

To make matters worse, my connection is still dropping time to time even with the new 2 mbps profile. It's not as bad as it was before, but it's still not 100% stable connection. :(

I was speaking to another Eircom engineer yesterday, and he confirmed that this must be due to the distance to the Patrick St exchange - which is 5 kms away! This means there must be a whole lot of people on the Dublin road in similar situation? If everyone effected raises their concern with Eircom and/or local TDs, I am sure there's a good case to argue? Cost/effort is not a good enough reason to deny basic broadband to a whole area with thousands of houses, especially when there are other exchanges already operational and can take the load..!

• Advertisement

To make matters worse, my connection is still dropping time to time even with the new 2 mbps profile. It's not as bad as it was before, but it's still not 100% stable connection. :(

I was speaking to another Eircom engineer yesterday, and he confirmed that this must be due to the distance to the Patrick St exchange - which is 5 kms away! This means there must be a whole lot of people on the Dublin road in similar situation? If everyone effected raises their concern with Eircom and/or local TDs, I am sure there's a good case to argue? Cost/effort is not a good enough reason to deny basic broadband to a whole area with thousands of houses, especially when there are other exchanges already operational and can take the load..!

thats correct, your line most likely cannot handle 2mb, thats why its dropping out. your line would be more stable set to 1mb.

i have contacted eircom, senior management, who are not interested in the slightest in resolving the slow DSL speeds along the Dublin Road area.

there are loads of people in the same boat with crap slow DSL speeds.

I have contacted local TD's and Eamon Ryan, to no effect. I am now looking at getting net1 wireless broadband (net1.ie) as I dont expect eircom to sort this issue out before 2020.

if you are near barley cove in WH then you should have no problem getting net1 or digweb metro, and ditch the landline altogether.

we should create a thread in the region -->north east--> louth forum,

Advertisement