Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broombridge station no-go area

Options
  • 22-09-2009 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Anyone here know why 'under Garda advice' trains were not stopping in Broombridge this afternoon? Not sure how long this was in place, I was on the 16:04 from Maynooth anyway. There were a few Gardaí at the station. Travelling from there in the morning and at a loss as to whether the trains will be serving the station.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

There was another so-called tiger kidnapping this morning - that apparently went wrong - and the loot ended up thrown onto the track from the overbridge at Broombridge. Close the place for good! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wait until next summer and the local kids start stoning the trains again :(

I've seen it done as they hit the windows and also as they drop rocks from the bridge onto the trains that don't stop. Brave men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

It's an absolute disgrace that the station is the way it is. A ticket office, usual barriers and constant security presence would be a start. Any of the rail security I see in connolly in the evenings are usually standing around in groups of 5 scratching their arses, could be better utilised imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Train just stopped there now. Still a garda presence. What's the story?

The station was to be closed down and replaced by one in Royal Canal Parker. Developer to built it. Irish Rail to run it.

Irish Rail changed their minds and the developer would be lucky to put a roof over his head these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

free money? whats that word gooshee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭LilyCullen

That station is a joke, I used to have to get a train to maynooth from there when I stayed with my friend. He was a local so the kids never went near him...but I've seen them spit/thrown stones/throw anything at the train. A few times I've been standing there waiting and the train will would just fly by. And the lack of tickets..you're supposed to just say when you get into connolly that you got on a broombridge and sometimes they don't believe you and try to fine you.seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They wouldn't believe you?! Get a hold of a supervisor/manager or the station master. If that doesn't work, put manners on them:rolleyes:. They should know their own regulations.

I've never had the chance to say it to someone, as when I arrived in the Docklands station the one time, I had to slip in past a stranger through the automatic ticket readers. There was no one around to man the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Close the place for good! :D
    Please don't, I use it regularly. Its not a nice place, but during the day its alright, at nighttime avoid at all costs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

LilyCullen wrote: »
    That station is a joke, I used to have to get a train to maynooth from there when I stayed with my friend. He was a local so the kids never went near him...but I've seen them spit/thrown stones/throw anything at the train. A few times I've been standing there waiting and the train will would just fly by. And the lack of tickets..you're supposed to just say when you get into connolly that you got on a broombridge and sometimes they don't believe you and try to fine you.seriously.

Not all trains stop there

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

This station appears to be more trouble than its worth. Especially with no ticket machines which I can understand tbh. There are frequent incidents at this place and how long will it be until a driver or passenger gets injured by something being thrown at a train? Personally, I duck whenever I pass it just in case;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If there is a worst-kept mainline railway station in Western Europe, I'm open to anyone to tell me where it is. Platform name signs on the ground. Station vandalised to pieces. The original bricked platform surface was used as ammo to aim at trains. The place is a disaster. Either Irish Rail do up - and **secure** the station - or they should close it. Particularly as AFAIK the only completely unmanned station in Dublin, it is a threat to their own revenue protection policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

most of their stations will be like that in two years time .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Irish rail did do it up but it got vandalised to bits. Its just a waste of money doing anything else to it. They tried to burn out the ticket office once while the the chap was still in it as well as the track walker's hut at liffey junction while he was still in it as well. Close the place down would be the best option.
    Its a shame that decent local people have to suffer because of some mindless lowlife scumbags who have respect for nothing.
    Barriers was put up to stop robbed cars getting into the back of it but they came back and burned the barrier open and made up some improvised ramps.
    In the end the only option was to dig up the concrete.
    Ive seen drug parties there around their little fires, one lad trying to pimp a young one onto one of the per way staff who was working nights there. Ive seen countless horses on the tracks and this was around 12 years ago and its not changed.
    In all honestly, what can irish rail do to improve the quality of this station and maintain it as so? CCTV'S monitered directly buy the garda? Any money spent doing the place up now is a serious waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    most of their stations will be like that in two years time .

No they wont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

I'm a bit confused- I personally have never seen any of these types of incidents, passing through the station 10s of times in the average week for the last two years. Sure, it's not the kind of station I would like to visit at night, but I have never seen horses or barricades on the track, or been hit by a missile, and only seen the motorbike-on-platform incidents twice. Maybe I'm lucky, but maybe people are overstating the problem or basing it on old information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not at all. Missiles being hurled at the trains are a daily occurrence. I was on a train in the last few months where a window was put thru.

The station should be locked up and abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah I've seen crap thrown at the windows too, was half asleep so just heard a loud noise smack of the window and saw something flying away.

Station should be closed, even the shelters at the place have burn marks. They are made of metal smartarses, you can't burn it with lighter or whatever they are trying to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

I like to view it as an adventure, either the train comes or you die :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Anyone want to join me in a campaign to have the station kitted out like Adamstown? Im sure I can convince IRN and Railusers Ireland to row in behind it.......Just look at this photo and visualise the potential and all the lovely people using the new facility that YOU helped achieve.

3053893987_d739fdeb61.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't understand why Broombridge area was in such decline during boom time, its perfect for offices considering the number of commuters on the train route.

They could have done a proper revitalisation job on it during boom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

is there any point in doing it up ,the particular type of scum there are very persistent in making their local area complete ugly no go area mess,if they id do it up it would have to have better security than fort knox!I have family living near the station mostly older,and they rather walk all the way to ashtown rather than get the train at broombridge because of fear of intimidation or harassment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

triple-M wrote: »
    is there any point in doing it up ,the particular type of scum there are very persistent in making their local area complete ugly no go area mess,if they id do it up it would have to have better security than fort knox!I have family living near the station mostly older,and they rather walk all the way to ashtown rather than get the train at broombridge because of fear of intimidation or harassment

I have never been up that way? Whats the next place up Ashtown like?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

is there any point in doing it up ,the particular type of scum there are very persistent in making their local area complete ugly no go area mess

A very valid point Triple-M as is strongly evidenced by the goings on in the most recently completed parts of the "Regenerated" Ballymun Town Centre.

It is a sad fact but over the past two decades this State has invested in and completed many such projects with an equally sad outcome.

Even during the boom years we had a large section of our community who simply prefer to live-outside-the-pale of civilized behaviour and unfortunately our administrations have felt it more appropriate to placate this savage grouping rather than confronting them.

Broombridge is merely an example of this in action,witnessed for a few seconds each day by commuters,but remember there are people living in and around these places who have been ABANDONED by the Authorities who now feel such pressing need to "rescue" failed bankers and developers.

The answers are few and essentially simple BUT they are most certainly NOT Politically Correct.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

My brother was hit by a stone a few weeks ago at Broombridge. He was on the train and standing near the doors. Just as the doors were closing, a gouger threw the stone and it him hit on the thigh. He was lucky to get away with a bruise.

The walk from Reilly's Bridge (the dogleg bridge between Finglas and Cabra) to Phibsboro would scare the living daylights out of you. It's a very isolated stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The walk from Reilly's Bridge (the dogleg bridge between Finglas and Cabra) to Phibsboro would scare the living daylights out of you. It's a very isolated stretch.

This sort of isolation was,and in some cases still is,one of the major elements which mitigates against full utilization of DART services.

Given the age of the original DART line,it`s stations were soon located far away from their catchment area`s.

It always mystified me that Iarnrod Eireann managed to get away for so long with having stations located at the end of unlit,dank laneways a situation which was not attended to until very recently.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I was on a train stopped in Broomebridge a few years ago when a stone came through the window and missed my face by about an inch. I have also been on trains where other passengers were injured by stones.

I also remember when the place was full of burnt out cars. I counted 23 one morning on my way to work, and number 23 was still burning. The plume of smoke could be seen from Connolly.

Bulldoze the station and put up security fencing either side of the track with mesh above the track at the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Oh, and whoever came up with Droichead na Scuab as a translation for Brougham Bridge should have been disciplined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Broombridge is like Windscale/Sellafield i.e. a place has a bad name but don't fix it rename it. Liffey Junction/Broombridge has been notorious for scumbags/cider parties/stone throwers since I can remember and CIE/IE seem prepared to wait until somebody is killed before addressing the matter and even then......:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

stations like broombridge will not change. all public transport in these areas including taxis should be withdrawn untill the decent people drive out the scumbag hooligans and restore order on their streets as it appears the guards and courts are unable to do the job. if your neighbours scumbag children are stopping you from getting to work etc it wont be long till they are put on the right track!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I know it OT but the amount of graffiti on the DART line North of Connolly is getting really bad. IE really should clean it up or else the businesses should do something. A tourist would be forgiven for thinking that they were about to be mugged on they're way into Connolly, also Howth Junction etc (really bad just North of there). I remember seeing images of the new Howth Junction before it was built. Shiney with lots of glass. The place, in reality, looks like Mountjoy.

Advertisement