Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broombridge station no-go area

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

JHMEG wrote: »
    I also remember when the place was full of burnt out cars. I counted 23 one morning on my way to work, and number 23 was still burning. The plume of smoke could be seen from Connolly.

I counted 23 one morning, the next day I saw a truck in removing them. Two days later, there were 16! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I remember after a match in Croke Park with all the rushing myself and my parents got on the Maynooth train outbound instead of inbound to go to Connolly so we had to get off at Broombridge and wait for the next train. Longest 10 minutes of my poor parents' lives. It was their first day in Dublin in years so standing in a burnt out shelter while a load of kids were running up and down the tracks with sticks hitting eachother wasn't exactly the safest place to bring them! We weren't there long enough for them to get down to where we were standing but if we were there any longer (three culchies in our Cork jerseys!!) it could have been dodgy.

When I lived in Maynooth the train often got hit by stones when it was passing through there. People rarely got on or off so I really don't see the point of keeping it open.

It's a damn shame. Although the scum of Cabra is a political issue and shouldn't be mentioned in Commuting and Transport, we're not going to get any improvement till that gets sorted. Apparently that bridge has some mathematical formula on it, anyone no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

yep i am another victim of stone throwing at Boombridge.

myself and my mate were lucky insofaras the stone came right through the middle of the window so niether of us were hit but we were covered in glass and alittle shocked.

the scumbag jumped down onto the track beside the train, calmly picked up a stone and threw it full force from a few feet as the train pulled away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Apparently that bridge has some mathematical formula on it, anyone no?
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broom_Bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The state of Broombridge is really irritating for many reasons already stated, but another I've noticed is that it falls within a much cheaper ticket zone compared to Ashtown station, both of which are equi-distant from my apartment. However, I feel like I can't *get on* the train at Broombridge because theres no way to buy a ticket there. It'd save me around €2.50 a week to go from there instead of Ashtown.

Also, I despair at the thought of the Luas extension finishing at Broombridge, couldn't they just extend it another Km or so and put the station in an area where it will be (a) welcomed by the locals and (b) not burned down by the locals?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

I think most people in that boat get on the train at Ashtown and when they get to their destination station, say they got on at Broombridge and pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

MJohnston wrote: »

Also, I despair at the thought of the Luas extension finishing at Broombridge, couldn't they just extend it another Km or so and put the station in an area where it will be (a) welcomed by the locals and (b) not burned down by the locals?

Surely one of the reasons why Broombridge was chosen as the proposed terminus for the planned Luas BXD line is because it needs renovation and it has ample derelict, IR owned land around it? Or would that be giving far too much credit to RPA planners?

And how do you know it is 'locals' defacing the station? What is a local on a transport line anyway?

eoineen wrote: »
    And how do you know it is 'locals' defacing the station? What is a local on a transport line anyway?

They tend not to use the train yet are at the station. That makes them somewhat local in my eyes.

They can be seen arriving and leaving on foot/moped.

• Advertisement

Surely one of the reasons why Broombridge was chosen as the proposed terminus for the planned Luas BXD line is because it needs renovation and it has ample derelict, IR owned land around it? Or would that be giving far too much credit to RPA planners?

Sorry, yes, my language may appear like I'm generalising, but its true, they aren't getting on the trains, they're from neighbouring Cabra and to a lesser extent, Finglas. This is not me trying to stereotype an entire neighbourhood, its just the truth. If it wasn't locals, how can you explain the non-vandalisation of Ashtown, Drumcondra or Phoenix Park stations?

As for the Luas BXD, perhaps I'm wrong, but couldn't they have the depot in Broombridge but extend the line out a bit further? I would just imagine that places like Rathbourne and Royal Canal Park contain a lot of potential passengers who would not bother if they had to walk down to the rather unsafe Broombridge area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Harpie wrote: »
    It's an absolute disgrace that the station is the way it is. A ticket office, usual barriers and constant security presence would be a start. Any of the rail security I see in connolly in the evenings are usually standing around in groups of 5 scratching their arses, could be better utilised imo.

Here is the name of the security company Irish Rail use.

http://www.stt.ie/

Why dont you contact Irish Rail Management if you think the security are not being utilised correctly.

In fairness Connolly Station is not exactly crime free especially in the evenings. Plenty of drunks, beggers, anti social behaviour to be dealt with by the security staff.

What do you suggest they do at Broombridge, stand on platform eaiting for something to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What do you suggest they do at Broombridge, stand on platform eaiting for something to happen.

That would be the general idea of a security presence on the premises yeah. Same as any private security for an area. It is their property and abuse is less likely to occur if staff are present.

At the very least they maybe able to get enough evidence to report to gardai about those involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Broombridge looks like a war zone. You need the army there, not a security guard. be good practise for them. Some real combat experience.

Some people on the cycling forum have suggested using the canal paths as cycle lanes, but its a non runner when you have no go areas (well almost) like Broombridge

In generally Irish stations have very poor facilities. No toliets, or poor access, no cover from wind/rain etc. No wonder people take their cars.

Here is the name of the security company Irish Rail use.

http://www.stt.ie/

Why dont you contact Irish Rail Management if you think the security are not being utilised correctly.
    The horse has bolted! There's nothing left in Broombridge to vandalise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

In my honest opinion, Broombridge is the poorest excuse for a suburban station I think I have ever seen. The lack of a ticket office on the premises is an absolute farce. In a time of recession, Irish Rail should know better than to allow this potential money making opportunity go to waste. As for the vandals who throw stones or other damaging objects at trains, higher security measures are needed to counter-act this. Also, install cameras on the bridge and other areas in the vacinity so that vandals can be identified. Thirdly, facilities such as the platform needs an overhaul and overhead displays be replaced with ones that work!. I can assume that the above measures will be addressed while electrification of the line is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Thirdly, facilities such as the platform needs an overhaul and overhead displays be replaced with ones that work!. I can assume that the above measures will be addressed while electrification of the line is carried out.

IIRC None of the platform displays on the Maynooth line work because of a mix-up with the size of the CTC room in Connolly.

Also, install cameras on the bridge and other areas in the vacinity so that vandals can be identified.

How long do you think the cameras would last?

Broombridge's problems are largely outside the remit of IE. What is needed is better policing / community spirit. Most thrown stones don't come from the station, they come from outside the station. That's up to the Gardai / locals (the good ones) to deal with, not IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Thirdly, facilities such as the platform needs an overhaul and overhead displays be replaced with ones that work

This will be addressed as part of the Maynooth line resignalling project which ties in with the city centre resignalling.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Most thrown stones don't come from the station, they come from outside the station. That's up to the Gardai / locals (the good ones) to deal with, not IE.
    Better fencing would sort out the problem of stones coming from outside the station.

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    That would be the general idea of a security presence on the premises yeah. Same as any private security for an area. It is their property and abuse is less likely to occur if staff are present.

At the very least they maybe able to get enough evidence to report to gardai about those involved.

A risk assessment would normally be done by any security company offering a service to a client.

It all depends on money/ resources and budget available from the client.

Irish rail subcontract out the Security to www.stt.ie as they do not have in house Security personnel

Even if a few Security personnel were placed at the station what can they do.
    They do not have powers to demand name of address of the persons causing anti social behaviour at Broombridge.
    They can ask the person/s to leave the station if they have no ticket and have no reason to be there in the first instance.

There must be Railway Byelaws that relate to un-acceptable behaviour.

What is need is a Transport Police like the British Transport Police in UK.

See website http://www.btp.police.uk

AGS should be trained up on Railway leglisation and Railway Byelaws and a new divison created for all transport in the Dublin area.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    How long do you think the cameras would last?

Broombridge's problems are largely outside the remit of IE. What is needed is better policing / community spirit. Most thrown stones don't come from the station, they come from outside the station. That's up to the Gardai / locals (the good ones) to deal with, not IE.

+1
    The locals need to give the names / or information to AGS at Cabra on the individuals who are throwing the stones at the trains.

CCTV camera's can only record an image, however most of these scrotes know this and wear hooded tops with baseball caps to cover their faces.

markpb wrote: »
    IIRC None of the platform displays on the Maynooth line work because of a mix-up with the size of the CTC room in Connolly.

Interesting point, can you expand or give more information on what you mean?

What is the CTC room?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What is the CTC room?
    Central Train Control. This is where the bulk of the signalling for IE happens. It is located in Conolly Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I see a lot of people blaming the community.
    The station is not that close to any houses, is surrounded by wasteland and empty factory buildings. The houses closest on broombridge road are occupied by a lot of elderly people and most of the locals get the bus into town as it's closer, more often and cheaper.

The whole area was let decay by property developers who wanted to put in a 6 story apartment block which was then refused planned as it would be out off keeping with the area and block off too much light and cause even more traffic issues.

Unfortunately the developers don't care to seal off the land from scumbags and nor does CIE to cordon off the station and put lights on it.

That's interesting about property developers. Have you any links to newspaper articles or planning applications? I've been using the commuter services on that line since 1996 (long before the building boom) and tbh the station has always been a shíthole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Wasn't great in the 80's either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I snapped this pic about a year ago or so, gives an idea what the station was like then(and probably is now). It was taken from the canal path, notice the shelter and fencing all black from burns.
    The other side of the tracks is like this as well if i remember correctly. If you walk from the Cabra direction to the station on the downward slope, it really is an eyesore Beirut style. Really a disgrace how its been like this for years.

04042009142.jpg

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I see a lot of people blaming the community.
    The station is not that close to any houses, is surrounded by wasteland and empty factory buildings. The houses closest on broombridge road are occupied by a lot of elderly people and most of the locals get the bus into town as it's closer, more often and cheaper.

To be fair, where are they coming from then? Its not an imagined situation, I've been on a train thats been stoned before. I also used to walk down the canal path down towards Phibsborough and you could constantly observe on Weekends or during the summer groups of youths occupying the abandoned area to the south side of the canal near the halt both drinking and racing up and down on scrambler bikes. I can't imagine its kids from anywhere other than Cabra (or less likely, Finglas), I mean are they getting the train up from Bray or the inner city? Its not exactly easy getting to Broombridge unless you're local. And, this wouldn't be an issue for me if it wasn't talk about investing money into the very area that ruins it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

JHMEG wrote: »
    The horse has bolted! There's nothing left in Broombridge to vandalise!

Can anyone explain to me why this issue does not have a sticky and the WRC operations thread does?

Advertisement