Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broombridge station no-go area

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

JHMEG wrote: »
    That's interesting about property developers. Have you any links to newspaper articles or planning applications? I've been using the commuter services on that line since 1996 (long before the building boom) and tbh the station has always been a shíthole.

I will see what I can dig up I have family who live on the road and have been fighting the development, while they want the area redeveloped they don't want the houses in the shadow of the 6 storey appartment block and that the site is for sale again.

http://www.finnegan.ie/commercial/properties/index.html?terms=Sales
    Development Site at 288 Bannow Road, Dublin 7
    288 Bannow Road is located on the north side of Bannow Road at the junction with Broombridge Road, beside the Broombridge Suburban Arrow Railway Station. There is a regular Arrow train service to this station from the Maynooth line, which serves the city centre and the Spencer Dock train station in the IFSC.

The close proximity of the Broombridge train station enhances the development potential of this corner site. This should increase the density allowed in re-developing this site.
    The current property has prominant frontage on to Bannow Road and Broombridge Road and has side access for delivery. It comprises a purpose built industrial warehouse of approximately 843 sq.m. with two floors of offices at the front of the warehouse. The main warehouse area has been converted to office storage use with a demountable mezzanine floor. The main warehouse has an eaves height of approximately 6.05 meters.
    Under the Dublin City Development Plan 2005 - 2011 the property is in an area zoned Z 6 which states "To provide for the creation and the protection of enterprise and facilitate opportunities for employment creation".
    The uses permitted in principle under Zone 6 include: Live-Work units, Enterprise Centre, Industry (Light), Science and Technology based industry, Shop (neighbourhood) and training. Uses under consideration include: Car trading, Factory Shop, Garage, Office, Petrol Station, Public House, Residential, Warehousing (retail/non food)/ Retail Park, Warehousing.
    Area: 843 m²

Region €1,200,000

Photos of the site in which the train station can been seen.

It was orginally a factory and industrial area and had a depot for trucks as goods trains would come from the docks to Cabra and then be trucked out of the city but with the increase in traffic and the city growing that stopped and when trucks became very hard to get in and out of the area (and it still can be with the amount of cars parked on the roads as the majority of houses do not have driveways) the factories closed and the place stared to degrade.
    MJohnston wrote: »
    To be fair, where are they coming from then? Its not an imagined situation, I've been on a train thats been stoned before. I also used to walk down the canal path down towards Phibsborough and you could constantly observe on Weekends or during the summer groups of youths occupying the abandoned area to the south side of the canal near the halt both drinking and racing up and down on scrambler bikes. I can't imagine its kids from anywhere other than Cabra (or less likely, Finglas), I mean are they getting the train up from Bray or the inner city? Its not exactly easy getting to Broombridge unless you're local. And, this wouldn't be an issue for me if it wasn't talk about investing money into the very area that ruins it.

That area of the canal is less then a 20 min walk from Finglas South esp Berryfield, you know that place which was on the news with the st paddy's day riots. I grew up close to there and would walk to Cabra to the granny's in 20 mins easily or 10 minutes cycling. Cabra esp Cabra West has very much an aging population and there aren't that many teens around. Teens with nothing else to do and wanting to be away from the house will easily travel 40mins plus to hang out and cause trouble.

I'm only after moving away from nearby kilalla rd a few months ago, I never saw a riot squad before until I was there on Halloween night.

Kids running riot, skips set alight, fireworks thrown in gardens, and afterwards people pointing fingers at each other. Ugly, ugly scenes. Whatever about whose fault it is, Cabra has a huge problem.

Anyways, I actually thought that land bank would be perfect for a highly secure LUAS depot and transfer station for when the light rail's extended up from Broadstone. An attached security presence would deter these gobsh*tes and protect the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Thaedydal wrote: »
    That area of the canal is less then a 20 min walk from Finglas South esp Berryfield, you know that place which was on the news with the st paddy's day riots. I grew up close to there and would walk to Cabra to the granny's in 20 mins easily or 10 minutes cycling. Cabra esp Cabra West has very much an aging population and there aren't that many teens around. Teens with nothing else to do and wanting to be away from the house will easily travel 40mins plus to hang out and cause trouble.

To clarify, these are what I consider locals. I never meant it was the people right by the station. But as you said, it is people in the vicinity. No one (other than you) has claimed they are from a certain area, just local to the station. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Actually having read another thread, I'd imagine taking the BXD out to River Road/Auburn Avenue to a park and ride there should really be considered. It couldn't be much more difficult getting out to there than to Broombridge, save for the extra track - its all green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭GKJK

Sorry to drag this thread up because I know it was dormant for a while but I was traveling through Broombridge the other day and when the train was stopped 2 young men who were obviously local comedians of some sort sat on the track in the station infront of the train and refused to move seeing this as great craic altogether!:confused: The driver sounded the horn and then just laughed and gave him the usual scumbag hand gestures. The driver then reved up the engine and I suppose didnt put the train in gear(I dont know the technical aspects of it) and the two little "yokes" got up and legged it.

I have been a frequent train passenger on this line and and have been witness to stonings etc. One night I was on the last train into Connolly when a half full cider bottle came through the window as the train pulled in, It hit a young lad on the lap luckily as if it hit him in the head he would have been in some trouble! I have been traveling the line now well over 3 years and I can honestly say that I have seen ONE person get on at broombridge and never seen anyone getting off! I dont know why IE keep it open, it's just hastle!! If they insist in keeping it open they shud provide protection for their FARE PAYING passengers who are used as target practise for these little hoodies everytime the train rolls in! Due to my schedule I'm often on the last train from Maynooth at night and can tell you that some of the scenes on that wasteland beside the station in the summer are disgusting. Cider parties, drugs, sex, fires, joyriding and then of course the hail of missiles flying at the train!
    IE should have netting up beside the platform to stop missiles coming over. Funnily enough I noticed the other day that one of the industrial estate building on the other side of the wasteland on the Maynooth bound side has netting up to protect it's windows! IE should be getting some similer material in to ptotect their passengers!

It's just a disgrace....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

GKJK - trains have been attacked at Liffey Junction/Broombridge since time immemorial - it's part of their culture out there and who are CIE/IE to interfere with traditional rights of the natives. Anyway, when some is eventually killed by a concrete block, or a flagon of cider, McKinsey & Co. will be called into to do a report which will gather dust on a shelf somewhere but nothing will be done about it. You better get used to it, it's called living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

Maybe IE should buy in a few of these for the evening commuter runs?
    2719824757_5fa74d3cf4.jpg
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I was on a train going through Broombridge a couple of years ago and a brick came through the window and nearly hit an eldery lady.

I rang 999 and was put through the guards and explained what happened.

The reply was "what do you want us to do about it?". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

its only when ie finally call time and realise its not worth keeping the station open that local residents might sit up and take notice and

There was a topic like this the other day on fm104 where a conversation was overheard involving two women. Basically the son was caught trashing the bus shelter cought by gardai taken home to mother and her opinion was "if the community game them something to do, they wouldn't be trashing the bus shelter"

With that mentality why are you suprised this goes on?

The station is used but only at peak commute times into town and out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

This is not directly linked, but I think indirectly linked to the subject matter.

There is a Garda station on the navan road, a rat run and not particularly the centre of any trouble.

There is not garda station on Faussagh Road, or Broombridge Road obvisouly. If the Guards could relocate themselves a mile up the road to where the trouble is actually taking place, then I think this could be a big deterrent, both for whats happening in Broombridge and elsewhere.....Faussagh Road isn't a bed of roses either, though that only matters if you live there.

Not true.

right so the people I have seen and my family have seen were mirages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I was on the train for 2 years and TBH, I've never seen more than 2 or 3 people get off there. Its not that much further to the next station considering how much problems this station causes and its light passenger numbers, it has to be costing more than its taking in and it puts passengers off using the service.

It should be closed, its a liability and the numbers using the station don't warrant keeping it open from what I have seen and what others have seen.

A few people on each train does not make it a viable service and given the violence at the station, only the few people using it can really defend keeping it open to service themselves. If the area is improved they can look at reopening the station but for now, it should remain closed, its already been ripped-a-part and burned anyway.

Whether or not the station remains open is irrelevant, as it is the whole area from Glasnevin Junction to the far side of Broombridge station that needs to be secured.

As a matter of interest, is anyone doing anything about it besides posting on Boards?

Whether or not the station remains open is irrelevant, as it is the whole area from Glasnevin Junction to the far side of Broombridge station that needs to be secured.

Ah jaysus, why not just cordon off the whole of the northside apart from your own estate.....

Bill2673 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, is anyone doing anything about it besides posting on Boards?

There's little point - I used to correspond regularly with Dick Fearn, CEO of IE, about a whole range of rail related issues but life's too short as he had an answer for everything, and anything that was indefensible he ignored.

Bill2673 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, why not just cordon off the whole of the northside apart from your own estate.....

Very valid point but since I live in County Wexford where would I put the cordon up? :D

Zebra3 wrote: »

Not true.
    right so the people I have seen and my family have seen were mirages.

I'm refering to the fact that people do use it in off peak hours. I've used it myself in off peak hours.

The station may be a dump but the main problem is the waste land to the south of the station.

• Advertisement

This pic from the Rail Users Ireland site deserves a more widespread viewership. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=1188&d=1276732556

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I use the train a bit, and there always some people getting on and off there. Good lot at peak. So its used alright. Same at most of the other stations, so nothing unusual about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'm on that train a lot and a good few people do seem to use. I've also never experienced any of the rock throwing or anything. Just see some, ehm, characters hanging around there.

EDIT: it is a bit of a joke that you can't buy a ticket there, and also the state of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭GKJK

I've had upwards of 6 occasions when objects have been thrown at my train as I pass through. One of my old school chum's dad was a train driver and he told me that the drivers hate stopping there as often the little ****s throw stuff at the front trying to smash the glass and injure the driver. The main problem the gardai face here I think is the fact that the type of youth round there pop out of parents who most likely did the same thing when they were young(and may still be young enough to be doing it still:rolleyes:) and see it as great sport. I know a lot of the parents are just happy no to have the kids not at home in the house "wreckin their buzz" and dont care what they do outside the house!

My friend's dad told me that on many occasions drivers would have boycotted the stop if not for the obvious railway points issue and the fact they get a red light at the station.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

it is a bit of a joke that you can't buy a ticket there, and also the state of the place.

A ticket office once existed there. However (according to what I have been told), that came to an end one night when the ticket-kiosk was burned down by scumbags (with the ticket agent still inside). Once the agent escaped his doomed kiosk, he was chased down the tracks towards Ashtown, until he was saved by Gardai at the level crossing.

I suppose they could place an automated ticket machine there. It would probably last a few hours before being damaged beyond use....or stolen. The picture a few posts ago illustrates what happens to just a timetable board.
    GKJK wrote: »
    My friend's dad told me that on many occasions drivers would have boycotted the stop if not for the obvious railway points issue and the fact they get a red light at the station.....

I've always wondered why they hadn't done that yet. If I was calling the shots, I'd never stop a train there in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

GKJK wrote: »
    The main problem the gardai face here I think is the fact that the type of youth round there pop out of parents who most likely did the same thing when they were young(and may still be young enough to be doing it still:rolleyes:) and see it as great sport. I know a lot of the parents are just happy no to have the kids not at home in the house "wreckin their buzz" and dont care what they do outside the house!

This is the problem. I often wonder if legalized / compulsory abortion is the answer to our woes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

RPA plans Kiss and Ride for Broombridge:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/kissandride-facilities-planned-for-tram-stations-2230812.html

I suspect it would have been park and ride but for the local joyriders. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hungerford wrote: »
    I suspect it would have been park and ride but for the local joyriders. :rolleyes:

Who will be doing plenty of kissing and riding (each other) I suspect.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    This is the problem. I often wonder if legalized / compulsory abortion is the answer to our woes. :(

Post natal abortion for all skangers and politicians, with no age limit, would be the answer to a lot of our problems. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 TalkingGoose

As an occasional user of the station for many years I feel it is a very valuable asset to the local area and I believe recently it has only been realised. My family have used the station for the last twenty years since we moved here. My mother uses it to get to work out to Sydney Parade, and for the last three years my brother uses to get to college in Maynooth. It is also used by the majority of my friends studying in Maynooth as it is by far the easiest way to get there.

It's used more frequently at peak hours, today there were over 20 people got off at 6 coming out from town. I've been lucky as the most that has ever happened to me at the station is to feel a bit intimidated, but there is a major problem at the station with scumbags and antisocial behaviour, you just have to look at the place. It is a complete embarrassment to bring friends to the area by train. When there were talks about it closing down/being moved there was good local support for it to remain open and many people have now started to use it more often.
    There have been some attempts to get a ticketman and security there, I’ve seen them a couple of mornings with the bag that like the man who would sell tickets to you on the train. I'm not how sure how long they were there for but no sign of them there throughout the day. Another morning there were 2 IE staff there and we filled out forms and got little cards saying we boarded the train at Broombridge and were suppose to carry them with us every time we travel from there.

If you look at this aerial picture of the station a major problem is the land south of the station including the entrance to the (Sligo's up right?) up platform with burnt out cars etc. I think if this land was cleared out and then properly secured, it would be harder for the thugs to get in also if they removed the entrance from this side of the platform and added a similar footbridge down to the platform like the opposite side. This might make the platforms more secure.
    4750025047_b5c764574c_b.jpg

Anyway sorry for the long windness of this post and dragging up the topic again, i just wanted it to be konkn that the station is being relatively well supported, just a 19 year old kid trying to make a difference, jesus that was a bit cheesy. :o Well we definately won't be winning station of the year anytime soon but I always wondered what would happen if a few pots of flowers were put up on the station, how long would they last and would we get most improved station? :D

Advertisement