Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broombridge station no-go area

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

paulm17781 wrote: »
    If you take the train from Broomridge, you take away the Dublin to Sligo line. Having a station isn't the issue, having a train through an area with a lot of bored "people" who think throwing stones at trains is fun is.

I'd like to think there is a quick fix for this but there isn't, the Luas BXD extension may help (or turn out the same way) but unless there is a gardai / community based initiative, this problem isn't going away.
    well obviously you dont pull up the track but building a high wall or fence each side of the line will make it scum-proof and protect the passengers who do not throw stones or leave items on the tracks to derail trains or spray grafitti on everyones property because they have nothing, dont deserve anything and never will have anything!

i had very little growing up, we were not in any way well off in fact by todays standards we would be called deprived but i never sprayed paint on a single wall or broke a single window etc. dont excuse the scumbags bad behaviour by saying we all need to spend even more money on fixing their social issues.

broombridge and other areas are no go areas because the scumbags know that with so many bleedin heart social worker types around they will never have to face any consequences for their anti-social and criminal actions because they have a hard auld life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Because until you fix the social issues, they will continue throwing stones etc. A fence will not help in an area like this. It may come as a shock to you but a fence is little deterrent to folks like this, the presence of it will probably encourage vandalism. Now, you can keep living on your cloud where fences are solutions to all problems, I'll stay here where I know how folks like that operate. It's a shame this isn't social science, you'd probably learn why a fence for Broombridge is pointless if it was.

Keep the personal remarks to yourself, thanks.

Fences have a proven track record - if they didn't we wouldn't have them, we'd have something else.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

When was the last time a train was hit with something passing or at the station? When did the events people mention take place -- last week? Last year? Five years ago? Ten year ago? And how does this compare to the rest of the network?

When were the securty cameras put in? What's the the area like today?

4731837838_5d82823985.jpg

The area's problem is that some criminal behaviour is left not policed properly. It's a common problem for areas like this at or beside canals and out of sight from houses and businesses to be a trouble spot.

Closing off a station will make the area a more isolated place. The railway will have less of a connection with people and business in the area. The "scumbags" would then see the train line as more and more just something they should not care about, something for outsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Craig Fay

Was at this station with my Dad, maybe a year or so ago, and there were two young girls of about 13 or 14 on the Maynooth-bound platform. They started throwing stones at some swans in the canal. My dad told them to stop (we were a good distance down on the opposite platform) and they did. However, after a couple of minutes they started shouting "pervert" toward us :rolleyes:

The problem with this area is far from being just a few of the lads with motorbikes on the platform or bricks at the trains. If the Luas line goes ahead, it will likely just lead to the increased number of passengers being harassed (verbally or physically) at the station. With these kind of locals around, a permanent Garda presence seems to be the only option, as I don't believe private security guards will have a deterring effect (especially if they are "foreigners") =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i had very little growing up, we were not in any way well off in fact by todays standards we would be called deprived but i never sprayed paint on a single wall or broke a single window etc. dont excuse the scumbags bad behaviour by saying we all need to spend even more money on fixing their social issues.

I bet you were raised well though? This issue is nothing to do with wealth (or lack there of) it is about social responsibility, something the people who do this (or their parents) probably don't have.

The folks at Broombridge who do this have parents who don't give a f* what they're at. I'm not talking about spending money. The issues at Broombridge will not be solved by a fence, the fence would be the target as soon as it goes up*, I'm sure some joy riding and car burning will make short work of any fence IE were to put up. Until the areas surrounding the station improve, stones being thrown at trains (etc.) will continue. How you improve the areas is not my field, a combination of policing / community clean up programs is the only thing that will help that station.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    broombridge and other areas are no go areas because the scumbags know that with so many bleedin heart social worker types around they will never have to face any consequences for their anti-social and criminal actions because they have a hard auld life!

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't give a toss how "hard their lives are" or their "reasons" for their behaviour. Personally I'd like the seem all arrested, their parents too if they repeat offend. The world would probably be no worse without these people. None the less, in dealing with a situation like the one that exists at Broombridge, you need a real long term solution.

*I once saw a truck removing cars from the area beside the track, I counted 16 the previous evening. When I was coming home, there were none. The next morning, I counted 7 burned out cars in the same area that had appeared overnight. I don't remember if this was before or after they blocked off that area adjacent to the station it made little difference either way.

Monument, I haven't been through that way in about 6 - 7 years but from what is said here, it hasn't improved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Craig Fay wrote: »
    Was at this station with my Dad, maybe a year or so ago, and there were two young girls of about 13 or 14 on the Maynooth-bound platform. They started throwing stones at some swans in the canal. My dad told them to stop (we were a good distance down on the opposite platform) and they did. However, after a couple of minutes they started shouting "pervert" toward us :rolleyes:

They should build a fence around the swans and your dad. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Monument, I haven't been through that way in about 6 - 7 years but from what is said here, it hasn't improved.

The problem is only one (?) person has given a time frame as to when x, y, or z happened. So, we can't know if they were talking about in the last year or 20 years ago. Or they could be talking about the same events.

People may also be talking it up. It often happens to problem areas. And you have the people who think anybody wearing a tracksuit or hoodie is a danger / scumbage / etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

They should build a fence around the swans and your dad. :D

But that wouldn't solve any problems.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

only recently become familiar with this area by passing by in the train. I never even heard of it until the last few months. I always wondered what it was like, looking at burnt platform shelter and the giant boulders on the access road give me a hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

Have they started work on the luas yet ?
    That. Should transform broombridge.

Also DIT are supposed to be relocating their sports facilities there also. Is that still going ahead.?

There is planning permission for houses on one of the derelict industrial sites on bannow road too.

Hopefully the whole area / station Will finally improve dramatically over the next few years .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Are they going to move the people out who would rob the eye out of your head !

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Are they going to move the people out who would rob the eye out of your head !

The LUAS works will commence next year at Broombridge. When it's finished it will house a new depot & a hub that will link the western arrow commuter line with the LUAS Green line. This will travel into the city via Cabra, Phibsboro, Grangegorman, the old Broadstone station, Dominicks St, Parnell st, Marlborough & then over the river to St Stephens Green. People in the know have told me that there will be a beefed up security presence in the area similar to what's provided at Connolly or hueston, whilst the works take place & afterwards when DIT's new playing fields are in place there. The platforms as we know (and love them:rolleyes:) know will be transformed.

I take your point about some of the types who lurk around there - the place can be a kip and is situated next to rougher parts of cabra/ Finglas, but the area adjacent to the station is far from being a wasteland and is a hive of commercial & industrial activity.

The Kepack factory aside, there are quite a number of Businesses & Factories in the Dublin Industrial estate just to the left of Broombridge- Colorman (sic) & MWV Healthcare Dublin employ over 200 people each for example. Woodies, Kodak & Lidl are a few mins walk down the road, as is Ricoh and Des Kelly. An Post are opening a large sorting office soon plus there are some other food processing & life science firms in the estate too. I drove through the estate a few weeks back to visit a customer on the lagan rd there for a meeting & was surprised to see that occupancy rate for the place was at the 70% mark with some new businesses open since I last visited in 2011.

Along with the Dublin ind estate, the Ballybogan rd is a 5 min walk from the station and it also houses a large number of companies and business.

Many people working in these places, professionals or otherwise, are warned off using Broombridge due to its well documented problems. Hence the low numbers of people getting on and off there, I guess. Also there is no means of purchasing a ticket there, nor is there a facility to use a leap card from the platform. (I've seen those idiot inspectors hand fines to people who got on the train from there on occcasion a few evenings too. Typical Irish rail not getting to the root of the problem and penalizing commuters instead!!)

The car traffic through the area is quite heavy during both rush hours and I'd punt that many of these people would use the station if Irish rail had the gumption to do something with the station in the past and provide their customers with the duty of care expected of them at broombridge, rather blame the garda/ the locals etc.

It is hoped the luas works will act as an instrument of change for the area along with the DIT sports complex however. Plus there is talk of a 1/3 of the Dublin industrial estate being rezoned as (much needed)housing ala Ashtown down the tracks from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

*I once saw a truck removing cars from the area beside the track, I counted 16 the previous evening.

I counted 26 one morning on my way into work. Number 26 was still very much on fire and the smoke could be seen from Connolly, due to a lovely clear morning.

Advertisement