Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Masters Graded?

Options
  • 22-09-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I was just wondering whether Masters Degrees in NUI Maynooth are graded? From what I've seen online it depends on the University. Some grade like 1.1, 2.1 etc. Others give a merit/distinction if a certain overall % is achieved, while some Universities don't grade at all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DCU student

The following is from the attached document, obtained from:
    http://examinations.nuim.ie/documents/MARKSANDSTANDARDSFORPOSTGRADUATECOURSES_004.pdf
    Honours Standards
    First Class Honours 70-100%
    Second Clasnt - obtained froms Honours Grade I 60-69%
    Second Class Honours Grade II 50-59%
    Third Class Honours 45-49%
    Pass 40-44%
    The marks are the weighted average of the module marks, provided the conditions for passing overall have been fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Taught masters usually are; research masters usually aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Does anyone know how the different countries look at other degrees. Here in Oz, a distinction is over 75%. I guess that would be the equivalent of fist class honours.

The system here really annoys me, as it's based on grade points.

You get 7 points for a distinction. I've got a 7 for all of my modules so far, except one stats module, for which I got a 6. I missed out on a 7 by about 4%.

Most of my distinctions have been well above 75%, and I've been almost always in the top 5 of my class at least. But if I get a 7 in all my modules, my one 6 is going to stop me getting an overall distinction. And all because of one poxy stats assignment :mad: I'll get a GPA of 6.8 or something.

But I wonder if the fact that I got above 70% in all my modules mean the Irish and British unis will look upon me as having a first in my masters, when i apply for a PhD.

I'm really annoyed with myself over this. But that's life I guess.

Advertisement