Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary or Primary Teaching?

• 22-09-2009 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,

Hope you can help me.. I have a degree in Business and a masters in HRM and hoped to go into the teaching profession after graduation.

However, now i cannot decide if i should pursue a teaching career as a secondary teacher in Business or as a primary school teacher?

I like both equally, however, It seems that there are very few jobs available as a business teacher in Ireland and more opportunities for primary teachers all over the Country.

I don't want to pursue a career that will leave me struggling to secure employment and am therefore moving more towards applying for the hibernia primary teaching course online, which would suit my current schedule perfectly.

My concerns are that I am afraid of no employment should i pursue the Business teaching; and that I will be turned down and/or frowned upon for studing a masters in HRM and then switch to primary teaching?!

If anyone has been in a similar situation or had similar concerns, any help/suggestions/advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Kind regards,
    Louleen :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Looleen wrote: »

I don't want to pursue a career that will leave me struggling to secure employment

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but thats exactly what teaching involves at the moment....my advise is to become familiar with your social welfare office!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Primary school teachers are mad about children. Secondary school teachers are mad about their subject. (Third level, of course, are just mad.)
    Which are you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

very few primary jobs at the moment, also you will need a good standard of Irish.

Advertisement