Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Darling Dog Has a Growth

Options
  • 22-09-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Just back from the vet and she told me that my dog has a growth and could be cancer. its just a little lump on my dogs chest but I'll die if theres something wrong with her. does anyone have any experience of this with their own dog? shes in great form and has loads of energy and her apetite is fine....does this mean that she should be ok? the lump has only been there a few days that I know of. she really is in great form so i really hope shes ok.

Her operation is on Thurs so hopefully i'm getting it in time.
    any advice welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hi there,

I wouldn't worry yourself to bits before you get any results back, if the vet thinks it might be cancerous obviously you are thinking the worst, and that's horrible if that's what it is. But it might be benign or can be safely removed, it's hard to tell from how they are day to day as to what the lump would be.
    For example, my pup's just back from the vet, she's pulled her shoulder, tonsils are inflammed (causes her to stop breathing properly sometimes) and she's yeast infection or something in her tummy (causing her to throw up), what has she been doing the last 2hours? racing around the house like a looney!

Not a comparison I know, but just that you can't always tell, and don't worry yourself too much until you have some concrete information. I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway. And hopefully others with more experience will have more info hun

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi, i went through this less than a year ago with my own dog so i know how you feeling, he had a growth on his paw. thankfully you've noticed it very early and he is booked in for the op straight away. the worst part will be waiting for the results, i was waiting over 2 weeks for them and it was the longest time of my life. thankfully it was benign. try and relax (which i know will be hard) cause there is nothing more you can do at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

easy for me to say dont worry too much i know But my dog has 3 lumps on her chest, when they first appeared i got the vet to look at them he also said that they could be cancer as her lymph gland was slightly larger than normal,,so heres the thing she is an old dog with diabities and there is no way she could go through surgery all we could do was keep an eye on her,,,,,that was 3 years ago,,,one of the lumps has grown a little but not much and shes still running around as fit as a fiddle(well if the fiddle was almost 13, blind in one eye ,diabetic and going deaf that is):)
    dogs do get these lumps and most of the time they are just fatty deposits,,,, best of luck joyce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I've just been through the same thing with one of my dogs so I can understand how you feel. The biopsy results came back yesterday and thankfully she doesn't have cancer, and I'm sure the result will be the same for your dog. If it should turn out that she does have a tumour the good thing is that you've caught it early and the operation will probably remove it all.

Let us know how she gets on. Fingers crossed she'll be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

My old terrier has many many lumps all over her body. We brought her to the vet when they first started appearing and was told that because of her age, putting her under to remove one would probably be as dangerous as if they were cancerous. She get's on fine with them, no pain directly resulting from the lumps as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

thanks for all the advice.

I'm trying to stay positive but I'm so worried and I actually didn't realise that it would take 2 weeks to get the results back. the vet told me that they should know by looking at the lump if it looks bad or not so I hope thats the case.

When i had to pay the veterinary assistant yesterday I started crying and i'm sure she was mortified and I just know I'll start whinging in the morning when I drop Missy off. How embarassing. I'm supposed to be an adult :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

I know how difficult it is. One of mine developed bloat one time and nearly didn't make it. I remember being in work feeling so numb and not coping very well while I waited for the outcome of the emergency surgery. It doesn't matter if it's human or animal, once the bond is there the emotions are the same. I really wish the best for your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Hey Folks

Well my little girl is back home with me and the operation went well.
    It was actually a lipoma which is a benign tumor so I'm really relieved.
    The vet has sent off the lump just to be sure but hes happy that its fine.

Shes acting so strangely now though, not herself at all.
    I just rang the vets to ensure that Missy would still be in no pain and it was just the after effects of the anaesthetic and thats what it seems to be.

Thanks again to everyone for your support.
    You were all right that I shouldn't have been worrying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Awh I'm delighted it's benign!
    She's probably groggy from the operation, takes a while to come round properly, give her a day or two and she'll be doing better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

That's great news. She'll be back to normal and bouncing around again in a couple of days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

delighted for her and you,,,thats great to hear:)

Advertisement