Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your ADSL slow in the evenings?

• 22-09-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm on the Killerisk exchange in Tralee, Co. Kerry and I am with UTV.

I have decided to try and end this crap by sending my ISP a letter.

Dear sir/madam,

For the last month or more, my broadband speeds have been consistently crawling during the evenings, usually spanning from 8pm-12am and sometimes 7pm-1am.

I hesitated in contacting you in the hopes that the problem would be noted and solved on your end, or Eircom's end.

Not only does the speed crawl, the overall lag on the connection is abysmal. Doing a speedtest.net can take quite a while as the connection grinds to a halt for seconds and then resumes, often and erratically.

There were similar problems last year when the speed upgrades were first introduced. After that took months to solve, the connection was overall satisfactory. Believe me, if I could get UPC at my address, I would, as their QoS is far better.

I do expect contention to affect speeds, so when there are minor slowdowns I do understand. But when it crawls every evening consistently, the QoS is off the scale and quite frankly, it's not what I pay for, despite the warning of only being "up to xMb" that you put on the product pages.

I would hope and expect that if it's a problem that you cannot solve yourself, that you would get the ball rolling with Eircom.

Not to be making threats, but I will be contacting ComReg at consumerline@comreg.ie, should this issue not be resolved quickly and satisfactory. I mean, if in a week's time there is no improvement, I will be contacting them and yourselves again, but I genuinely hope it won't need to come to that.

I am also upgrading to the 7.6Mb package from my current 3Mb package, which is set to happen on October 1st from the new billing cycle. I do hope that it's not like it was last year, where I felt the need to downgrade due to serious QoS issues? I would expect that even when it's at its busiest, that contention wouldn't cause my speeds to go any lower than 3Mbps, as if they do, then there's no point in paying for the higher package. I'd expect minor hiccups to occur maybe a few times a year that last a mere few hours, but everyday...? Tell me, would you stand for it?

Thank you for your time.

Yours sincerely,
    DECEiFER

I eagerly await their reply.

Anyone else written to their ISP about the same issues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm on the Killerisk exchange in Tralee, Co. Kerry and I am with UTV.

I have decided to try and end this crap by sending my ISP a letter.

I eagerly await their reply.

Anyone else written to their ISP about the same issues?

You mean performance such as this?

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.57:
    Packets: Sent = 11137, Received = 11111, Lost = 26 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 161ms, Maximum = 524ms, Average = 407ms

For over two months at this stage. One day it just went bad. It was really good up to that point.

I have already lodged official complaint with Comreg. I need to follow up with them. I had an email from a supervisor in U.TV concerning it. He said once the issue is resolved they will look at a good will gesture for the period where the issue was present. Problem is how long to put up with it before enough is enough?

I would expect all people regardless of their reseller BT/UTV/Eircom to have the same contention issue. One evening I am going to check this out. I may drive around my neighbourhood and log onto a few Eircom routers and see.

I have had one person on the same exchange report that during the period I get **** service they don't have an issue. Maybe Eircom are favoring their customers when it comes to bandwidth and the rest have to content for the remaining.. Don't want to get paranoid but this is ridiculous.

Newtownforbes, Longford exchange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Excellent. The more people complain, and get ComReg involved, the better. I have a feeling I'll be doing the same, but I did want to give UTV the opportunity to resolve it without taking any more drastic measures first.

Keep 'em comin'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If you complain it will not be resolved any quicker. Eircom most likely know which exchanges are over subscribed and when they find an exchange is overloaded they put it on a list based on how many people are connected. The more people, the faster it is fixed. Even a huge exchange can take months though.

Tonight:
    572992193.png

*sigh*

But in reality it's a lot slower, probably on par with 14.4K Dial-up.

Pings are not too bad, but the usual packet loss is occurring.
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Dave>ping rte.ie -t

Pinging rte.ie [89.207.56.140] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=57
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=57
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=57
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=57
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=57
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.207.56.140: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=57
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 89.207.56.140:
        Packets: Sent = 32, Received = 25, Lost = 7 (21% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 46ms
    Control-C
    ^C
    C:\Users\Dave>

A screen capture video of a series of Speedtest.net attempts that I made earlier tonight earlier. This is how it looks for me, how about you?

Standard Quality:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1bXDoJ5QoE

High Definition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1bXDoJ5QoE&fmt=22

EDIT: The embed is not loading up for me. Just use the links if you're experiencing the same.

• Advertisement

My UTV bb was unusable last night, pings were 1,000ms + lots of time outs. I left it for a few hours came back and still the same sh*te.

I've asked U.TV for compensation now,I don't feel its right to only be able to use the internet when I'm at work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

A screen capture video of a series of Speedtest.net attempts that I made earlier tonight earlier. This is how it looks for me, how about you?

Standard Quality:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1bXDoJ5QoE

High Definition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1bXDoJ5QoE&fmt=22

EDIT: The embed is not loading up for me. Just use the links if you're experiencing the same.
    Can we see your router line statistics please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

my dsl is with eircom and lucky enough its fine most of the day for me :)

as for utv, goodluck with ur letter, i used to have my broadband with them many moons ago and it was biggest mistake ever, they never answered the phones and on some miracle that u did get through i was given some rubbish about x y and z and you just got fobbed off, the support is atrocious and i'd never recommend them to anyone - back then they didnt seem to care much about the rep. of ireland support wise they always blamed eircom because of the lines and wasnt their issue which again was rubbish and not very surprising, so again goodluck with your letter I hope for your sake they have changed since then! :rolleyes:

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Can we see your router line statistics please?
    Certainly. They're quite good. But the SN Margin is a bit jumpy, while Line Attenuation is stable. I should inform you that I was onto UTV again, they told me the line is coming up red. The line is provided by Imagine, however, so I had to ring them up and ask for a PSTN Test. They did so without hesitation, and 5 minutes later confirmed that the line is coming back red. They have logged a fault with Eircom, so I'm expecting to hear back about it in a few days.

100m from the exchange:

Downstream Rate: 3072 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps
    Downstream Margin: 25 dB
    Upstream Margin: 17 dB
    Downstream Line Attenuation: 2 dB
    Upstream Line Attenuation: 2 dB

I'm also set to be upgraded to 7.6Mb on October 1st.

my dsl is with eircom and lucky enough its fine most of the day for me :)

as for utv, goodluck with ur letter, i used to have my broadband with them many moons ago and it was biggest mistake ever, they never answered the phones and on some miracle that u did get through i was given some rubbish about x y and z and you just got fobbed off, the support is atrocious and i'd never recommend them to anyone - back then they didnt seem to care much about the rep. of ireland support wise they always blamed eircom because of the lines and wasnt their issue which again was rubbish and not very surprising, so again goodluck with your letter I hope for your sake they have changed since then! :rolleyes:
    Ah, they haven't. I used to be with them since 2004-2006, then went with BT. I simply went with UTV again when I moved house because they were the cheapest option without paying line rental (paid by landlady).

Thanks for the comment. :)

Ah, they haven't. I used to be with them since 2004-2006, then went with BT. I simply went with UTV again when I moved house because they were the cheapest option without paying line rental (paid by landlady).

Thanks for the comment. :)

That's a shame that they havent changed, you would think in this day and age they would want to be a bit more competitive and do anything to get customers instead of ignoring them! :cool: Would u not try the pay as you go broadband?

• Advertisement

That's a shame that they havent changed, you would think in this day and age they would want to be a bit more competitive and do anything to get customers instead of ignoring them! :cool: Would u not try the pay as you go broadband?
    The still run the company in the 1920's. Certain requests have to be done by letter. Upgrades have to wait until the next billing cycle. But at least they're polite!

Although, I don't seem to be waiting on the phone as long as I did back years ago. I remember coming home from work knackered, rang them up, took a snooze for 30 minutes on the chair, and I was still on hold by the time I woke up! So far, I've waited 15 minutes max for an agent.

HSDPA? Mobile Broadband! Oh no, never. I've seen how much worse that is over my problems of late. :)

The still run the company in the 1920's. Certain requests have to be done by letter. Upgrades have to wait until the next billing cycle. But at least they're polite!

Although, I don't seem to be waiting on the phone as long as I did back years ago. I remember coming home from work knackered, rang them up, took a snooze for 30 minutes on the chair, and I was still on hold by the time I woke up! So far, I've waited 15 minutes max for an agent.

HSDPA? Mobile Broadband! Oh no, never. I've seen how much worse that is over my problems of late. :)

:rolleyes: i hear you with the mobile broadband, if ur any way remote its always GPRS/EDGE, i tried it once and it was below average for me, but for anyone in the 3G area its great...

Politeness only gets you so far, as for writing letters, jeeze thats new... i remember when i wanted to LEAVE utv, it was a nightmare..they closed my a/c but still would not release the port for my broadband to be reinstated with eircom, very nasty back n forth but eircom did most of the talking for me, i'd never leave eircom again since that ordeal afterall if something goes wrong i've only got eircom to deal with, and that very rarely happens for me...:cool:

goodluck with your dear utv letters :D let us know how it goes!

:rolleyes: i hear you with the mobile broadband, if ur any way remote its always GPRS/EDGE, i tried it once and it was below average for me, but for anyone in the 3G area its great...

Politeness only gets you so far, as for writing letters, jeeze thats new... i remember when i wanted to LEAVE utv, it was a nightmare..they closed my a/c but still would not release the port for my broadband to be reinstated with eircom, very nasty back n forth but eircom did most of the talking for me, i'd never leave eircom again since that ordeal afterall if something goes wrong i've only got eircom to deal with, and that very rarely happens for me...:cool:

goodluck with your dear utv letters :D let us know how it goes!
    I'm in a HSDPA coverage area. A friend of mine had the O2 yoke for a while, and he was happy with it until the 4th day (I advised him to return it before the 7th, and he went for ADSL instead). He lives smack in Tralee town center, and the coverage was perfect. It's generally to do with load. You'll never maintain full speed, not even during the small hours.

Ah, yeah, you're likely to get unlucky when dealing with any company, at least once. What happened to me was that in 2006, I e-mailed them to cancel my service so I could move over to BT 2Mb (I was on UTV 1Mb). The service was crap, getting 1000ms pings to a game server in Sweden, when it should be around 80ms. At the time, me being stupid, I didn't know about porting over to a new provider, so I went off and cancelled with UTV (taking in the 30 day cancellation period) and then I was going to order with BT thereafter. I found out about the whole porting procedure on or around the 15th day, and it was also around then that the speeds were upgraded. People on 1Mb went to 2Mb and a whole new 1Mb product came to replace it for new customers. People on 2Mb went to 3Mb. After my speed increased, the service seemed better, and because I didn't want the downtime, I decided to cancel the cancellation. I rang in to UTV, they said they'd sort it for me, make sure my service was not cancelled. On the 30th day, just a little bit past midnight, the DSL light went off. I rang them the next day and I asked them to snap outta it and to put it back. They claimed to have no record of my request to cancel the cancellation and told me that since the DSL was shut off by Eircom, I'd have to order it off them again with the 15-20 working day wait to get it turned on, and a whole new contract. I told them no, and ordered 3Mb from BT. They weren't quick about it either, and I ended up using dial-up for a whole month.

Also, last year when I was onto them about the high interleaving issue on my 3Mb package, they (without asking or letting me know) put me down to 2Mb. I discovered it by chance, as I noticed I wasn't getting my 330KB/sec HTTP download speed, so I looked at my sync speed inside my router. Their excuse was that they thought I'd be happy with it so I could avail of a lower interleaving setting. I told them to put my back on 3Mb immediately and to at least make an effort to get onto Eircom to lower my setting without lowering my speed. It took them a week to get me back on 3Mb, but I never got my interleaving lowered to how it was before the 2008 upgrades took place. I don't think anyone has who is not with Eircom directly. They're all cowboys, and at the highest level, there's Eircom.

I'm only with UTV again now because I'm not in the best financial way, and it's about all I can afford at the moment.

I'll post back with any news I get regarding my apparent line fault and hopefully if the service improves after it's repaired, I'll report something positive. I'll also let you know if the 7.6Mb service is any good once I get it (assuming UTV don't mess up again and not bother to increase it for me on Oct 1st).

I cant help but laugh to myself because its sounds very like the situation I was in, and it is no laughing matter either, its very stressful and frustrating especially when you contact support and you probably know more about IT than they ever would!

The "holding hostage" of my port became a big issue for me, I was also lured into cancelling the cancellation but because I was so mad at how they were dragging the whole a/c closure out it just made me more determined to close my a/c...I have to say that eircom for me was very good and they were the only people giving me straight answers in those frustrating days and offered alot of help too, I always get the name of the person I deal with, dates and times and especially where utv were concerned, I wouldve loved them to tell me there was no record when it was my issue, there wouldve been war lol!

As for the gaming issue, dont get me started, i find when im playing GTA i get a lot of tcp/ip errors, but again this is workable but too lazy to even try at this point :rolleyes:

Why is nothing ever straightforward, they talk about fantastic deals and offers but at what cost? you get it, then you dont, its like a child taking another's toy away just when they had a chance to really play with it !! its a cruel cruel world!

But lets hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for you!

I cant help but laugh to myself because its sounds very like the situation I was in, and it is no laughing matter either, its very stressful and frustrating especially when you contact support and you probably know more about IT than they ever would!

The "holding hostage" of my port became a big issue for me, I was also lured into cancelling the cancellation but because I was so mad at how they were dragging the whole a/c closure out it just made me more determined to close my a/c...I have to say that eircom for me was very good and they were the only people giving me straight answers in those frustrating days and offered alot of help too, I always get the name of the person I deal with, dates and times and especially where utv were concerned, I wouldve loved them to tell me there was no record when it was my issue, there wouldve been war lol!

As for the gaming issue, dont get me started, i find when im playing GTA i get a lot of tcp/ip errors, but again this is workable but too lazy to even try at this point :rolleyes:

Why is nothing ever straightforward, they talk about fantastic deals and offers but at what cost? you get it, then you dont, its like a child taking another's toy away just when they had a chance to really play with it !! its a cruel cruel world!

But lets hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for you!
    I wasn't up-to-speed back then on how DSL works, but I have a basic idea of it now. It's hilarious that I do know more than the support crowd that seem to work for the ISP's. Pity I can't get a job with them! It's simply a joke, you can laugh about. It's better than crying. Just so long as you shout when it's no longer funny to snap these people into line. :)

Ah, if I had the cash, I'd head over to Eircom. Better still, if Smart (LLU) or UPC serviced Tralee, I'd be with one of them in a second. It's crap because in Shannon, where I'm from, UPC have been there for well over a year, and I moved away over 2 years ago.

Best of luck with the gaming thing. Maybe try using different DNS addresses, if you haven't already (http://opendns.org - also assuming GTA IV uses DNS's and not IP's, also again assuming it is GTA IV you're playing online).

yeah it is IV im playing, i know the whole speel on dns/ip/port mapping its just on the back burner for me, i rarely play it nowadays but might tackle it some day :cool:

the coverage issue bugs me also - unless your in a big area/city/town you can just make do with what ur given and put up with it, i was also like you with the coverage issue, couldve had it all but again a move happened and i had to use the o2 broadband for a while, but it was atrocious even though the coverage was "in my area" and then "not in my area"....so it was between a rock and hard place...so alas phone lines went in and eircom was installed and thats it for me since then

I still laugh about the time when someone asked me about utv and why didnt i get that, i just laughed at them and ranted off a whole load of issues and they just stood their stunned, but yeah you can only laugh about it really, well...now i can lol but its never funny when ur in the thick of it is it? but sure look at it this way, its only temporary

the tech support on the ISPs are usually ok, i find it frustrating when i dont understand their accent, im usually good at that but sometimes i feel like ive called india or somewhere - but regardless of that usually the support is good but i really enjoy getting through to someone who is a know-it-all, well thinks they are and everything they suggest i reply back, yeah, i tried it...what else.....yeah i tried that too what else.....yeah..that aswell, any other ideas...then u get "please hold til i consult with our team leader"...then its like we'll look into it lol...its a laugh but anyway it would be weird if you always got the solution all the time, it would mean places like this couldnt exist and it can be invaluable what you can pick up as you go along in these forums :cool:

I full on agree. It happened to me today when I wss onto Imagine. I asked for the PSTN Test and the guy was straight onto it, pleasant, and called me back 5 minutes later as promised to tell me the result. He then logged a fault with Eircom without hesitation and said he'd get back to me in a few days when he hears news from them.

I might have a crack into Battlefield 2142 before I hit the sack. Suez Canal, Titan. That map and game mode never gets old for me... :)

well heres hoping he keeps up the promise!

Never played Battlefield, but it is late and way past my bed time, damn boards is addicting! Enjoy the game :cool:

Another video of my new 7.6Mb connection:
    (I have also sent it to a Technical Support representative at UTV)

I have also included a DOS ping and tracert to u.tv at the end.

If the embed doesn't work, here are the links instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVnN_MmwHQ
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVnN_MmwHQ&fmt=22 (HD) - if you can manage

Dreadful.

I'm furious!

When I contacted my ISP UTV, which I have done many times, in relation to the speed issues, I ASKED and TOLD them not to lower my speed profile. I said that if Eircon or the Eircon system says that I need to be on a lower speed profile, that it is wrong and I was then promised and assured that UTV will not to do anything without my consent. I have since been dealing with the same guy at Technical Support.

Please read this email that I received today from him:
    Hi Dave,
    I tried calling your mobile there but I know you are usually busy during the day so thought I would drop you this email.

******* advised me you are still having speed issues with your broadband. We have ran another line check and found that at the moment, your line is capable of no more than 6 MB.

This is a little surprising considering you are so close to the exchange, however if this is the most your line is capable of then being on a 7.6 MB profile will only have detrimental affect on your broadband speed. This test is carried out on an Eircom Wholesale computer system so this will be the same for any broadband provider supplying a bitstream on this line.

I have changed your profile to 6 MB and would like to see if this improves the speeds. If not then we are going to need to try 5 MB and lower until we find the profile which works best.

Once again we apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Kind Regards,

Capable of only 6Mb? I seriously doubt that.

My line stats from October 9th when on the 7.6Mb profile:
    http://imagestack.deceifermedia.com/images/1/Line-Stats-Oct-9-2009.png

How do you convince a Technical Support agent that the systems he is using are wrong? How do you convince him that the speed issues cannot be related to my speed profile, as it happened just the same when I was on 3Mb 48:1. Identical symptoms, 4 times the contention, which is now 12:1 on the 7.6Mb packages. I've been through all this with them, and I even showed them the videos of the Speedtests from before I went up to 7.6Mb and after.

Any advise in dealing with these guys to get my speed profile back up to 7.6Mb and for them to chase the fault report with Eircom to fix my problem would be greatly appreciated! I just want to shout at the guy I'm dealing with right now, so I need something a little more practical to go to him with rather than a loud shouting voice.

I think it's time to get ComReg involved.

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Capable of only 6Mb? I seriously doubt that.

My line stats from October 9th when on the 7.6Mb profile:
    http://imagestack.deceifermedia.com/images/1/Line-Stats-Oct-9-2009.png
    I've gotten the same myself from Eircom numerous times, they say my line can only get 3MB max, yet for the last nine months I've been getting 7.6MB with BT no problem, any wonder it's a mess :rolleyes:

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I've gotten the same myself from Eircom numerous times, they say my line can only get 3MB max, yet for the last nine months I've been getting 7.6MB with BT no problem, any wonder it's a mess :rolleyes:
    According to this: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php, your downstream attenuation of 22dB (sourced from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055700804) still means your line is capable of 8Mb.

Keep at them. I've made a formal complaint on ComReg's advice and will keep track of my issue and escalate it when I can (I have been given a complaint reference number from UTV and a case number from ComReg to do so), should no resolution come of it. I told UTV also that I'd be willing to keep my 6Mb profile for a day or the weekend max. I fully intend on forcing the speed issue until it's resolved, even if it takes years! However, I intend on going back to 7.6Mb by Monday.

According to this: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php, your downstream attenuation of 22dB (sourced from here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055700804) still means your line is capable of 8Mb.
    You should send that link off to Eircom :p
    Keep at them. I've made a formal complaint on ComReg's advice and will keep track of my issue and escalate it when I can (I have been given a complaint reference number from UTV and a case number from ComReg to do so), should no resolution come of it. I told UTV also that I'd be willing to keep my 6Mb profile for a day or the weekend max. I fully intend on forcing the speed issue until it's resolved, even if it takes years! However, I intend on going back to 7.6Mb by Monday.
    I hope you get sorted out, I was onto Comreg myself and they told me that there was nothing they can do and that Eircom were well within their right to do what they wanted at the exchanges in order to keep a broadband service running, even if that means re-routing myself and others to do that :rolleyes:
    For now my speeds and pings are fine:

594134398.png

Any Eircom Tech / engineers reading this, look at my above speed, tell me now I can't get over 3MB :rolleyes: :p

I received an email today in response to a call I had made to UTV yesterday. I always speak to the same guy, he is trying to keep on top of everything for me. So I rang yesterday to show him tests I had done on the weekend which show that moving down to 6Mb had made no difference whatsoever. He spoke to me about Eircom's list of congested exchanges. So, there it is, Eircom have actually documented a list of exchanges that are over-subscribed. He told me that he didn't see my exchange on the list (Killerisk, in Tralee).

However, I got this back this morning:
    Hi Dave,

I’ve just heard from Eircom that the Killerisk exchange is on the official list of congested exchanges. They finally seem to be acknowledging that there is a problem. I’m trying to find out when this is likely to be fixed and will get back to you as soon as I find out.

Kind Regards,

Xxxx

I'm waiting in hope that there's a ETA on sorting the congestion issue sooner rather than later.

In the meantime, anyone experiencing issues like myself, ask your ISP's support team if your exchange is on the list. If they do not know about the list, tell them to ask Eircom about it. There is a list, so, get the info. Put the pressure on!

U.TV have done the same messing around with me. I started off with 3mb and then one night my net went ****ty, bad pings and speeds. I left it a while hoping it was just a glitch, after a few weeks of non-improvement during the evenings I lodged a few complaints. I got bumped up to 7.6 and again through the day the speed and ping was great, come evenings it was dialup.. They then moved me down to 5 mb profile to try and see if they could stabilize, no difference. So I went back to 7.6. Problems still.. They then without my consent put me down to 6mb. Same problem... Then they have the FANTASTIC SUGGESTION TO PUT ME DOWN TO 3 mbs........... At that point I was like "are they taking the piss..."

I appreciate that there are only so many things they can do but wasting my time doing stupid pointless steps like this are hardly going to make much difference....

I should mention that my line stats are perfect and I live less than 1km from my exchange.

Argh...

DECEIFER, have any of your neighbours reported issues on the exchange like you have??

Xcellor wrote: »
    U.TV have done the same messing around with me. I started off with 3mb and then one night my net went ****ty, bad pings and speeds. I left it a while hoping it was just a glitch, after a few weeks of non-improvement during the evenings I lodged a few complaints. I got bumped up to 7.6 and again through the day the speed and ping was great, come evenings it was dialup.. They then moved me down to 5 mb profile to try and see if they could stabilize, no difference. So I went back to 7.6. Problems still.. They then without my consent put me down to 6mb. Same problem... Then they have the FANTASTIC SUGGESTION TO PUT ME DOWN TO 3 mbs........... At that point I was like "are they taking the piss..."

I appreciate that there are only so many things they can do but wasting my time doing stupid pointless steps like this are hardly going to make much difference....

I should mention that my line stats are perfect and I live less than 1km from my exchange.

Argh...

DECEIFER, have any of your neighbours reported issues on the exchange like you have??
    I didn't ask. I wouldn't think there would be many UTV customers in my area, though. They're not the best-known ISP. I'll ask the guy next time I'm on to him and see if he can get an answer from Eircom regarding other complaints overall.

Another reply to my email today:
    Hi Dave,

The list shows “Indicative forecast date” as October for your exchange. I assume they would mean this is the target time of repair but it’s not terribly clear on what it means specifically. I’m still trying to find more information as to when this is likely to be resolved.

I will let you know as soon as I hear anything and will continue to press for an answer.

Kind Regards,
    Xxxx

I'd advise that you push your ISP's to follow the same line of queries with Eircom.

So Eircom finally admit they have a problem, didn't take them too long this time :rolleyes:

Hope it gets sorted for you quickly DECEiFER, my has been fine now for near a week, I had more or less the same problem as yourself.

598751015.png

1486459.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I have also included a DOS ping and tracert to u.tv at the end.

A DoS ping is a tad something different, than what you are doing in your video. What you're doing is just and endless ping. Something completely harmless.

Anyhow, you should have run a pingtest to various servers, too. From the looks of it, not only your speed is affected, but you also seem to have packet loss, which is bad, not only for speed, but also for all realtime type of internet services.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    A DoS ping is a tad something different, than what you are doing in your video. What you're doing is just and endless ping. Something completely harmless.

Anyhow, you should have run a pingtest to various servers, too. From the looks of it, not only your speed is affected, but you also seem to have packet loss, which is bad, not only for speed, but also for all realtime type of internet services.

/M
    That's DOS for Disk Operating System, not DoS for Denial of Service.

I said DOS, because the Command Prompt is a skimmed down version of the old OS from way back.

Advertisement